One card - many OS?
(04-18-2016, 09:57 AM)faddah Wrote: you can also, on mac os x or linux, if the MicroSD is pre-formatted, just plug it in to your computer and run —

Code:
$ df -H /dev/diskX

where the 'X' is whatever disk number the MicroSD is. that will tell you right away if it is the capacity you're expecting.

100% wrong. This is what the fake is all about: reporting the wrong capacity. And that's why it's necessary to check cards. And that's why it's necessary to point this out to someone who obviously bought a 512 GB fake TF card and refuses to check it (and now ask to do the impossible: Access OS images beyond the real capacity of his fake card). The very same person complains in other posts that he has a bricked board and most obviously the only reason is that his other cards are also faulty.

The reason why I insisted on this is that it's useless to proceed with software issues if you don't rule out simple hardware issues first.

BTW: Both longsleep and I know how to boot multiple OS installations on the same card. Good bye.
(04-18-2016, 08:27 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: I have been using a REAL 32 for the last little bit for my Pi2. I used it for the Pine64 and it doesn't work at all with it. The program just stalls or after burning it, it doesn't do anything. At this point I'm done with the Pine64. Pi2 is better and at least I can use it. I'll be making a claim to my credit card company to get my money back.  At least the people in the forums for the RPi are not all assholes.

Nice. The stubborn guy proud to buy a fake 512GB TF card starts to elaborate a bit on his education.

So you still refuse to test your cards and refuse to understand what's different between burning Linux images on fake cards and trying to burn Android images with Phoenix card. I tried to summarize it in the relevant article even before you wrote the above:

Quote:A fake card could be used with a Linux image on a Raspberry Pi since years without a single error but will fail already when trying to burn an Android image with Phoenix card due to the totally different partition scheme used by Android.
(04-18-2016, 08:27 PM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: I have been using a REAL 32 for the last little bit for my Pi2. I used it for the Pine64 and it doesn't work at all with it. The program just stalls or after burning it, it doesn't do anything. At this point I'm done with the Pine64. Pi2 is better and at least I can use it. I'll be making a claim to my credit card company to get my money back.  At least the people in the forums for the RPi are not all assholes.
I will be happy to buy your Pine if you refuse to do the necessary steps to make it usable. You can email me PN and Paypal only [emoji3]

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
(04-19-2016, 05:32 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

Nice. The stubborn guy proud to buy a fake 512GB TF card starts to elaborate a bit on his education.

So you still refuse to test your cards and refuse to understand what's different between burning Linux images on fake cards and trying to burn Android images with Phoenix card. I tried to summarize it in the relevant article even before you wrote the above:

Quote:A fake card could be used with a Linux image on a Raspberry Pi since years without a single error but will fail already when trying to burn an Android image with Phoenix card due to the totally different partition scheme used by Android.

high priestess is usually female. Not the first time an idiot confused me with a guy online. What makes you think I didn't test them? The 32 I use for everything is true. Would you like to stop bothering me about my cards and answer my question?
(04-19-2016, 08:30 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:
(04-19-2016, 05:32 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

high priestess is usually female. Not the first time an idiot confused me with a guy online. What makes you think I didn't test them? The 32 I use for everything is true. Would you like to stop bothering me about my cards and answer my question?
You do realize one of the reasons you are getting such a hard time is your 512GB TF is the only one on the planet right?
(04-19-2016, 08:30 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: high priestess is usually female. Not the first time an idiot confused me with a guy online. What makes you think I didn't test them? The 32 I use for everything is true.

Dear Samantha, my sincerest apologies! I should've known better since I used exactly the screenshot you provided (to illustrate that you don't get past the image burning process in Phoenix Card) for my explanation what happens if you combine fake cards with Phoenix Card: It can't work: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=681

Thanks for both the screenshot and the confirmation that you didn't test the card Smile

To answer your question: It's not possible to exceed the real capacity of a fake card since this is a physical limitation. Therefore you won't be able to access partitions beyond the real capacity even if the card's controller shows you a faked capacity that is multiple times higher.

Hope that helps!
(04-19-2016, 04:23 AM)tkaiser Wrote: 100% wrong. This is what the fake is all about: reporting the wrong capacity. And that's why it's necessary to check cards. And that's why it's necessary to point this out to someone who obviously bought a 512 GB fake TF card and refuses to check it (and now ask to do the impossible: Access OS images beyond the real capacity of his fake card). The very same person complains in other posts that he has a bricked board and most obviously the only reason is that his other cards are also faulty.

The reason why I insisted on this is that it's useless to proceed with software issues if you don't rule out simple hardware issues first.

BTW: Both longsleep and I know how to boot multiple OS installations on the same card. Good bye.

i have never seen the "df -H" fail in telling me the correct card size. as an example, i had a MicroSD i used for one of the linux images @longsleep that was 64 GB. of course, after first imaging the card with "dd," and booting from it, "df -H" showed it as only about 4 GB, the image size on the card. i then ran @longsleep's "resize_rootfs.sh" script, ran "df -H" again after a restart, and boom, 64 GB at my disposal.

and even if "df -H" did not work, i still pointed out two other examples from the first step on card imaging on the wiki itself that showed how to verify cards. you don't seem so ready to jump on the snark horse about that, eh? and yes, i ran all my 64 GB MicroSD's through F3 and they are what they say they are.

so, in this and other responses, you continue to highjack this thread's topic to talk about your (non-) issue of fake MicroSD's, an issue, as i've pointed out, has been asked and answered in the wiki. you also claim to know how to put multiple OS's on one MicroSD and switch boot between them. so rather than continuing to highjack this post and being needlessly rude to this post thread's original author, @yourhighpriestess, how about you just answer this person's original question. write out, in a nice, polite, step-by-step how-to, your info, which is what these forums are supposed to be about: the sharing of info that will help, not insult, everyone here.

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
(04-19-2016, 12:19 PM)faddah Wrote: i have never seen the "df -H" fail in telling me the correct card size.

Great! If you believe the above nonsense you don't even understand  the whole fake/counterfeit card issue. The whole thing is about cards faking higher capacity (this is the stuff df, the Finder or the Explorer tells you) and the need to use f3 or h2testw to check for the real capacity (writing patterns on the card, reading them to verify them). 

So I would assume that also the stubborn lady still has not the slightest idea why that matters and why it's impossible to access anything beyond the few GB real capacity her nice 512GB fake card shows Smile

Good luck and happy wiki editing!
(04-19-2016, 12:19 PM)faddah Wrote: i have never seen the "df -H" fail in telling me the correct card size. as an example, i had a MicroSD i used for one of the linux images @longsleep that was 64 GB. of course, after first imaging the card with "dd," and booting from it, "df -H" showed it as only about 4 GB, the image size on the card. i then ran @longsleep's "resize_rootfs.sh" script, ran "df -H" again after a restart, and boom, 64 GB at my disposal.

You have not understood the problem. That is totally ok, but please stop posting false information which will only mislead others.

(04-19-2016, 12:19 PM)faddah Wrote: so, in this and other responses, you continue to highjack this thread's topic to talk about your (non-) issue of fake MicroSD's, an issue, as i've pointed out, has been asked and answered in the wiki. you also claim to know how to put multiple OS's on one MicroSD and switch boot between them. so rather than continuing to highjack this post and being needlessly rude to this post thread's original author, @yourhighpriestess, how about you just answer this person's original question. write out, in a nice, polite, step-by-step how-to, your info, which is what these forums are supposed to be about: the sharing of info that will help, not insult, everyone here.

Oh please, every information you seek is available. Everyone familiar with bootup of devices using U-Boot can do it. Everyone else simply cannot.

The answer to the question of this thread has been answered before - i can do it again: Of course you can put as many OS'es on a single card as you like. As of how, it is up to you - exactly the same as for any other computer with a bootloader.
May i ask a mod of this forum to close this thread, its all said IHMO

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,949 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
  micro sd card won't insert Samuel Venable 2 4,386 09-01-2020, 12:15 AM
Last Post: Samuel Venable
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,287 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  How to boot from the SD card and install to eMMC? ravanh 2 6,365 03-18-2020, 09:42 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  recommended micro sd card ? mronhb 91 210,373 03-03-2020, 11:34 PM
Last Post: siyatalerja
  eMMC card on adapter Malmgren 8 11,000 03-20-2018, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Malmgren
  corrupt microsd card after reboot maxpayne 6 9,884 02-08-2017, 05:42 PM
Last Post: maxpayne
  recommended micro sd card? Gustavo Woltmann 1 3,541 01-03-2017, 11:38 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  What is on the Micro SC card that came with the board? clawinus 1 3,626 11-03-2016, 02:33 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  SD card burn img size problems stephen0205 17 23,018 09-22-2016, 06:28 AM
Last Post: tkaiser