power Circuit
Thumbs Up 
(04-12-2016, 04:29 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Best to just solder it, if you are sure you want the power/reset switch mounted on the board like that. Bending the legs into place will never provide the secure connection you'll get from soldering. Besides, soldering is fun!

If you are scared to solder direct to the board, for fear of messing something up, you can still gain the functionality of power and reset switches by using the EXT series of connections (Page 3 of this). 

Just buy some DuPont wires and solder a switch to those. That way you don't need to solder direct to the board.

hi @SkairkrohBule,

thanx for the info.

i don't know enough EE to read those pin-outs and find a now-out-of-business radio shack or the like to get the wires and the switch, so i just went to ebay and purchased a nice $9/free shipping soldering kit. i'll give it a go when it arrives in a few days. much thanx!

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
(04-12-2016, 07:54 PM)faddah Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 04:29 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Best to just solder it, if you are sure you want the power/reset switch mounted on the board like that. Bending the legs into place will never provide the secure connection you'll get from soldering. Besides, soldering is fun!

If you are scared to solder direct to the board, for fear of messing something up, you can still gain the functionality of power and reset switches by using the EXT series of connections (Page 3 of this). 

Just buy some DuPont wires and solder a switch to those. That way you don't need to solder direct to the board.

hi @SkairkrohBule,

thanx for the info.

i don't know enough EE to read those pin-outs and find a now-out-of-business radio shack or the like to get the wires and the switch, so i just went to ebay and purchased a nice $9/free shipping soldering kit. i'll give it a go when it arrives in a few days. much thanx!

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Ok, cool. There are plenty of soldering tips and tricks on eBay. Basic ones are to:

Tin the tip of the soldering iron

Wipe down on sponge or similar between uses to remove excess

Touch both surfaces (in this case, the prong of the switch leg and the metal ring of the hole in the Pine64 board) at the same time to heat them up to the same temperature before applying solder (heating just the switch leg or just the metal ring won't help anyone, both surfaces need to be hot for the solder to bridge the gap and flow between them)

And: don't hold the soldering iron to the printed circuit board for too long. Metal traces heat up quite quickly and you can cause damage to the board if you just hold it there for ages. 

So, summary: get the soldering iron tip hot, tin it, hold to the join (switch leg and pcb ring), apply solder, remove soldering iron tip and wait for solder to set.
(04-12-2016, 08:06 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Ok, cool. There are plenty of soldering tips and tricks on eBay. Basic ones are to:

Touch both surfaces (in this case, the prong of the switch leg and the metal ring of the hole in the Pine64 board) at the same time to heat them up to the same temperature before applying solder (heating just the switch leg or just the metal ring won't help anyone, both surfaces need to be hot for the solder to bridge the gap and flow between them)

And: don't hold the soldering iron to the printed circuit board for too long. Metal traces heat up quite quickly and you can cause damage to the board if you just hold it there for ages. 

So, summary: get the soldering iron tip hot, tin it, hold to the join (switch leg and pcb ring), apply solder, remove soldering iron tip and wait for solder to set.

hi @SkairkrohBule,

thanks for all the advisement — however, i have no idea what the phrase "Tin the tip" means in soldering?

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
(04-13-2016, 07:51 AM)faddah Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 08:06 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote: Ok, cool. There are plenty of soldering tips and tricks on eBay. Basic ones are to:

hi @SkairkrohBule,

thanks for all the advisement — however, i have no idea what the phrase "Tin the tip" means in soldering?

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.

Tinning the tip means applying solder to the tip of the soldering iron before wiping off the excess on a damp sponge. This creates a coating on the soldering iron tip that aids easy soldering. It's a preparation thing. 

Like I think I said before, when it comes to learning how to solder, the internet is your friend.
(01-31-2016, 11:49 PM)SkimMilk Wrote: Hi all,

I'm looking for the switch that tllim posted at this website:
http://sg.element14.com

I'm not electronics trained, so it's kind of hard finding it.
Can anyone advise what keyword I should be searching for?

I'm trying to find out what the pinout is, there are 4 holes, what 2 holes does the switch use.
I am not buying one of those tiny board mounted buttons.
(06-21-2016, 11:57 AM)crash042 Wrote:

I'm trying to find out what the pinout is, there are 4 holes, what 2 holes does the switch use.

Here's your answer: #41
(06-21-2016, 12:04 PM)SkimMilk Wrote:

Maybe this was answered elsewhere and I missed it.  But I see there are two 4-prong locations where the button provided by Pine can be plugged into.  Which set of holes does that button need to go into?
(07-01-2016, 07:23 AM)Topgun505 Wrote:

Maybe this was answered elsewhere and I missed it.  But I see there are two 4-prong locations where the button provided by Pine can be plugged into.  Which set of holes does that button need to go into?

2 sets of holes for 2 functions. One is for power (pwr) while the other is reset (rst). Most people will place it on power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Board: Pine A64+ 2GB board.
MicroSD: Samsung Evo/+ 32/64GB
(07-01-2016, 08:56 AM)SkimMilk Wrote:
(07-01-2016, 07:23 AM)Topgun505 Wrote:

2 sets of holes for 2 functions. One is for power (pwr) while the other is reset (rst). Most people will place it on power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking at the pine64 end on, with the audio socket on the left, and the usb ports on the right, the left set of four pins are for the power switch,and right set of the pins are for the reset switch. the two connections nearest the edge of the board are the actual electrical connections for the momentary switch, and the further away connections are to mechanically anchor the right angle tactile switches.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Z-Wave - Full and Low Power Inclusion mode B34N 1 4,194 03-26-2017, 06:03 PM
Last Post: B34N
  Power Supply for Pine a64 (2GB) Pip19083 1 4,416 01-22-2017, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Low power headless operation? rubenk 9 15,171 01-05-2017, 12:37 AM
Last Post: swinging
  Power switch circuit drewh 43 62,701 09-19-2016, 09:17 AM
Last Post: tampadave
  Power Off / Reset Buttons - DietPi casmiguefl 4 8,214 08-12-2016, 05:28 PM
Last Post: casmiguefl