Is it "late October" yet?
KDE is an OS? Huh? They've got their own branch/flavor of Linux or something? I was hoping to find Debian, where you could go into Synaptic and remove KDE and put in what you want.

Plasma? Not the old hardware technology like plasma TV that runs hot, radiates RF, wastes power?
(10-23-2018, 06:23 AM)Luke Wrote: The Pinebooks are rolling off the factory line. The issue is that KDE guys need to fix support for the higher resolution IPS panel in the new Pinebooks - and their Pinebooks got stuck in customs. Shipping will start when the image works... hopefully by the end of the week.

Higher resolution IPS panel?
Dare to explain a bit more and give us some information?
What will the new resolution be?
Sorry, indeed, KDE Neon.
The panel is 1080p
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

If we don't plan on using KDE, can mine get shipped now?
This KDE Neon?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KDE_neon  I don't want use use Ubuntu anyway.

The 1080p I like.  Will both sizes be like that?  I know, display availability is questionable and unpredictable.  What's the display interface, SPI?[Image: Vector_Video_Standards8.svg]
(10-24-2018, 04:38 AM)Luke Wrote: Sorry, indeed, KDE Neon.
The panel is 1080p

Well, 1080p on an 11" display should be more than acceptable.
If sound/sleep/WiFi/HDMI is sorted, that shoud be a good decision. I might even opt to change my 14" Pinebook to the same distro, just to have a stable environment.
Frankly, I enjoy the 14" Pinebook. Deffo not a high-power/high-speed device, but good enough, especially at the price point, for most of my daily work.
It's nice to have a cheap device that you can toss around without too much concern. That's why my MacBook and my Surface4 see less use than my Pinebook....
Thank you Luke for your response. 1080p in 11.6 inches has quite high DPI, for my use cases - mostly SSH and LateX its perfect, but I'm wondering how the resolution bump will change the RAM memory consumption.

(10-24-2018, 07:09 PM)ab1jx Wrote: The 1080p I like.  Will both sizes be like that?  I know, display availability is questionable and unpredictable.  What's the display interface, SPI?[
AFAIK both Pinebook cases have a "hole" for 16:9 displays, so its going to be 1920x1080.
That display cannot be connected via SPI. SPI-display have big CPU overhead and makes all the HW acceleration magic impossible. SPI is good if you want to connect small 2$ LCD to your DIY server to display some statistics Wink
Pinebook display is going to use some native LCD interface, probably either MIPI DSI or "RGB". You can find more info here https://linux-sunxi.org/A64
(10-25-2018, 02:48 AM)fitter Wrote: Thank you Luke for your response. 1080p in 11.6 inches has quite high DPI, for my use cases - mostly SSH and LateX its perfect, but I'm wondering how the resolution bump will change the RAM memory consumption.

Indeed, I'm thinking of some things like rxvt that run an absolute pixel size and font size (7x14 - 9x15 fonts).  I can fit about 9 of them on a 1920x1080 screen which at 22 or 24 inches isn't bad, but 11 inches wide?  But there's also a 1366x768 mode.  It's all moot until there's a 14 inch again, I'm not going to order an 11 and try to live with it for years.

Not to be critical, I'm glad they're out there, my 64 year old eyes just want the bigger size.
(10-25-2018, 08:54 AM)ab1jx Wrote: Not to be critical, I'm glad they're out there, my 64 year old eyes just want the bigger size.

I was using my ASUS TF700T with Linux. It's got 1080P resolution and a roughly 10" screen. Sizes can be changed on things so it's not a massive deal. I didn't stand a chance with everything at the default size on that screen.
What I can say is that with the DPI adjusted it's really nice. Because any anti-aliasing / subpixel font rendering is much smaller because of the pixel size it makes text much more crisp to look at.

The higher resolution isn't a bad thing.

Edit: Although I'm sure the devs are working hard on KDE, I'm sorry but I'll be changing that out straight away, if not the entire distribution to something lighter weight.
(10-26-2018, 09:39 PM)ImmortanJoe Wrote: I was using my ASUS TF700T with Linux. It's got 1080P resolution and a roughly 10" screen. Sizes can be changed on things so it's not a massive deal. I didn't stand a chance with everything at the default size on that screen.
What I can say is that with the DPI adjusted it's really nice. Because any anti-aliasing / subpixel font rendering is much smaller because of the pixel size it makes text much more crisp to look at.

The higher resolution isn't a bad thing.

Edit: Although I'm sure the devs are working hard on KDE, I'm sorry but I'll be changing that out straight away, if not the entire distribution to something lighter weight.

Higher resolution always comes at a hidden cost of more data to put on the screen (squared), if that can be done somehow by the GPU and accelerated driver then fine.  I've heard iphones are 1920x1080 but I never spent more than a few seconds looking at one.  I think you can run it at 1366x768, which is about right, by setting the video modes, maybe that's only for HDMI.

I like old-school terminal emulators like rxvt (and I spend much time in the Joe editor) because they don't redefine as many keys.  Both Joe and mc have their own set of ctrl and alt key definitions, there isn't room for the terminal emulator grabbing some of them.  It should act like a terminal, period.  And those use fonts with sizes in pixels, not points.  Not Truetype, the sort that xfontsel shows.  If somebody gave me one I'd live with it, but this blows about 2 month's toy budget so I want it right.

KDE, yuck, and Gnome and Enlightenment.  What I call the "run your life" window managers, because they take on so many roles besides just being a window manager.  But it's worthwhile to install something else and keep the KDE libraries so you can run KDE program, same with Gnome.  Just set the default to something else in alternatives.