ANNOUNCING RECALBOX FOR THE ROCKPRO64 - ALPHA RELEASE
Big Grin 
ANNOUNCING RECALBOX FOR THE ROCKPRO64 - ALPHA RELEASE

After many efforts with much teamwork, collaboration, and testing, we are very excited to provide the ALPHA release of RECALBOX for the ROCKPRO64 board!
-- The download is located under this repository's releases -- https://github.com/mrfixit2001/recalbox_rockpro64/releases
Details on the ROCKPRO64 SoC can be found here: https://www.pine64.org/?page_id=61454
For those of you unfamiliar with Recalbox: https://www.recalbox.com/ "Recalbox offers a wide selection of consoles and game systems. From the very first arcade systems to the NES, the MEGADRIVE, 32-bit platforms (such as the Playstation) and even Nintendo64. With Kodi already included, Recalbox also serves as a Media Center. By connecting it to your home network, you will be able to stream videos from any compatible devices (NAS, PC, External HDD, etc.)."
Please do keep in mind that this is a ALPHA release, which means you should still EXPECT some things not to work quite right. We have done a LOT of testing on our own to try and resolve as many issues as we can before this release, but now you get to help! (Lucky you!) So if/when you do find things that don't work right, please use the link in github to report the issue.
When reporting issues:
  • Provide logs or screenshots of the issue so that we can see the error(s) you are seeing

• Provide detailed steps for us to follow in order to reproduce the issue
A few things to know about this release:
  • Remapping the buttons on some controllers, such as 8BitDo, cause the controller to not work in the emulators – use the default keymaps for these

• Resolution for Non-Retroarch Emulators and EmulationStation is 1080p, manual config edit will be needed to change: o Mount the BOOT partition and edit /boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf -- look for the following value: video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60. Edit to your desired resolution. o NOTE: Resolution in KODI can be adjusted without any config changes (up to 4k!)

• Netflix Kodi app is included – you can login but it does not currently play anything (yet)

• When the image first boots, you can expect a delay as the partition is expanded to the full size of your disk. Please be patient and let this complete. It will not happen on every boot, but you should not interrupt this process or you may need to reimage.

• N64 has multiple cores, different ROMS work better with different cores! For example, Mario Kart and Perfect Dark both perform very well using the N64 core (which is “GLES2N64”).

• Some emulators / cores are highly dependent on a valid BIOS files being installed (Dreamcast, for example). Be sure to read the documents in the system’s ROM folder for details on what BIOS files are needed. Further documentation is available on the Recalbox wiki.

• A single ROM not working is not considered a “bug”, it’s often an incompatibility with the ROM and the emulator or core. We have provided multiple cores for some emulators to try and help maximize the number of ROMS that work.

• If you are suddenly and unexpectedly thrown into KODI, then that means EmulationStation may have crashed. Please provide your /recalbox/es.log file so we can review.

• We STRONGLY recommend that you install a heatsink on the board
Some things we have added to Recalbox that are Exclusive to the Pine64 releases:
  • Upgraded Kodi (and addons) from version 17 (Krypton) to a July 2018 commit of version 18 (Leia)

• InputStream.Adaptive Kodi Addon

• Multiple cores for different emulators so that you can select which core works best for you on each ROM!

• Slight default overclock

• HDR and 4k Media Playback!

• Included Wolfenstein 3D (shareware version) in DosBox

• CEC working in KODI

• IR working in KODI – supports multiple remotes out of the box, including the Pine64 / Rockbox remote

• Added some default shader presets and default cores

• Updated Library Versions with Buildroot 2018.2-3

• Custom patches to ES and Emulators to improve overall stability
"Where's the source code?" The source is in the final stages of being cleaned up and organized in preparation to be made available for the recalbox team to maintain, instead of having it hosted in this repository. Merging it with the recalbox repo allows them to maintain and update it, which ensures that you will receive their updates as they are made available.
Lastly, please remember this is a community build, and just something I've worked on in my free time. There's no pressure at all, but if you appreciate the work then feel free to send me a buck on Paypal: mrfixit2001 at gmail.
Special thanks go out to Kwiboo from LibreELEC, Substring at Recalbox, and LukasZ at Pine64 for their efforts in testing and feedback!
  • Mr Fix-IT
So what's the difference with Lakka?
Recalbox is a highly customized (and improved) version of Emulationstation, which supports all the same emulators as retropie, maybe a bit more, including both libretro cores and non libretro cores. It also has built in KODI for media playback. Plus, this release also has a custom kernel and the updated KODI v18.

Lakka is strictly retroarch (libretro) emulators.

Overall this release should provide a more stable, more optimized, and more feauture rich experience.

Not speaking ill of lakka, it's a great build! Just think recalbox is a more robust solution.
Thank you! This is precisely what I bought a RockPro64 for. From what I've tried so far it works very well.
I do have an issue to report. I was so close to having it just as I wanted it but this one seems to be a showstopper for me right now.

I know that the audio jack doesn't work on Linux right now, only HDMI audio. I have my RockPro64 connected to a monitor, so I'm using a HDMI to VGA adapter which also splits off the HDMI audio to a 3.5mm jack. Connected to that jack I have a set of speakers.

The issue is that within Recalbox the HDMI audio is either turned off or at 100% volume, with no in-between. The volume control does not work at all. It remains at 0% no matter what I try to change it to, but the actual volume output is always 100%. So now I can't have sound through those speakers because it's too loud. The speakers themselves have no in-built volume control. I tried looking at the config files and amixer, but there seems to be noting there either.

If you go into Kodi, that does have its own volume control that works just fine. It's just on Recalbox/Emulationstation where it doesn't work.
(10-29-2018, 06:55 PM)Pitcrawler Wrote: I do have an issue to report. I was so close to having it just as I wanted it but this one seems to be a showstopper for me right now.

I know that the audio jack doesn't work on Linux right now, only HDMI audio. I have my RockPro64 connected to a monitor, so I'm using a HDMI to VGA adapter which also splits off the HDMI audio to a 3.5mm jack. Connected to that jack I have a set of speakers.

The issue is that within Recalbox the HDMI audio is either turned off or at 100% volume, with no in-between. The volume control does not work at all. It remains at 0% no matter what I try to change it to, but the actual volume output is always 100%. So now I can't have sound through those speakers because it's too loud. The speakers themselves have no in-built volume control. I tried looking at the config files and amixer, but there seems to be noting there either.

If you go into Kodi, that does have its own volume control that works just fine. It's just on Recalbox/Emulationstation where it doesn't work.

Thank you for letting me know! Can you confirm that if you plug directly to an HDMI tv with sound if the audio settings work for you? Want to check that they work correctly without your adapter as well.
I tried it in a TV and it does the same thing.

I did manage to find a battery-powered speaker that I can use for now that does have its own volume control.
Thank you for testing and providing feedback. Will investigate.
I did find another very strange bug and I'm not sure how it happened.

I copied some more roms to the board then I went to try and play them. Now suddenly none of my controls work within the emulators. They were previously working. They work fine in emulationstation.

I just had a possible idea though. I may have put the controller back into a different USB slot and somehow retroarch now can't find it. Nothing else was changed as far as I know.
(11-01-2018, 07:35 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote: I did find another very strange bug and I'm not sure how it happened.

I copied some more roms to the board then I went to try and play them. Now suddenly none of my controls work within the emulators. They were previously working. They work fine in emulationstation.

I just had a possible idea though. I may have put the controller back into a different USB slot and somehow retroarch now can't find it. Nothing else was changed as far as I know.

What controller is it ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) RockPro64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 1 342 03-25-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: mara
  yocto for RockPro64 Fide 1 647 01-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Fide
  Installing Ubuntu Server on RockPro64 deutschlmao 2 2,517 10-29-2023, 04:43 PM
Last Post: brotherj4mes
  Vanilla mainline Debian 11 (Bullseye) on the RockPro64 Pete Tandy 22 16,820 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: varac
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) ROCKPro64 RK3399 (aarch64) mara 54 82,188 08-11-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: mara
  How to enable CoreSight ETM trace on RockPro64 shpark 0 538 05-21-2023, 11:34 PM
Last Post: shpark
  Rockpro64 Dead on arrival? quixoticgeek 1 879 03-12-2023, 06:55 PM
Last Post: quixoticgeek
  RockPro64 boot questions misterc 3 1,486 01-13-2023, 06:21 PM
Last Post: misterc
  A fix for Bluetooth audio stuttering on the RockPro64 raph 2 1,579 01-03-2023, 06:53 PM
Last Post: raph
  hello i want to drive an edp screen with my rockpro64 hannescam 0 707 10-20-2022, 01:22 PM
Last Post: hannescam