Nothing but red light.
(04-17-2016, 11:09 AM)fire219 Wrote: It will respond to FEL mode, but to actually load anything through that seems impossible, since the A64 SoC acts different from most of the other Allwinner chips.

Be assured that the linux-sunxi kernel devs did FEL booting with Pine64 like crazy. This is confirmed to work.

Did you check voltage available to the board? Measuring test points? Don't forget that this board is prone to both undercurrent situations (using 'smart chargers' that provide only 500mA) and undervoltage (many/most USB cables are simply crap to power something with more than a few mA)

(04-17-2016, 11:14 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 11:06 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 10:40 AM)yourhighpriestess Wrote: I'm having the same issues. I have tried EVERY OS out there for it and it's not working for me either.

According to another post you try it with a 512GB card. Why do you expect that this should work?

BTW: Already went through all steps outlined here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=514

I have  a 1gb board. 512GB sd card.

Great. Again: Why do you expect this should work? Did you gave an ordinary card (with 64GB max) already a try?

You posted the question how to get around timeouts you get with Phoenix Card. Does this mean you never suceeded burning an image? Did you test your card using H2testw or f3 already?
(04-17-2016, 11:22 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 11:09 AM)fire219 Wrote: It will respond to FEL mode, but to actually load anything through that seems impossible, since the A64 SoC acts different from most of the other Allwinner chips.

Be assured that the linux-sunxi kernel devs did FEL booting with Pine64 like crazy. This is confirmed to work.

Did you check voltage available to the board? Measuring test points? Don't forget that this board is prone to both undercurrent situations (using 'smart chargers' that provide only 500mA) and undervoltage (many/most USB cables are simply crap to power something with more than a few mA)

The board is getting 5.22v, measured off the Pi2 GPIO connector. This is using a Samsung 2A adapter.

I know they had used FEL, I just meant that it's over my head and the generic sunxi wiki directions don't work.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(04-17-2016, 11:31 AM)fire219 Wrote: The board is getting 5.22v, measured off the Pi2 GPIO connector.

Sounds good. The question is how low voltage drops under load. Someone reported measuring up to 800mA consumption while booting a Linux image.

Since I do many tests with SBCs I kept a well known 'crap cable' here instead of throwing it away (USB type A to Micro USB). With this cable I already get 0.6V less at 600mA consumption. And while the A64's PMU might be able to use very low input voltages I still doubt that this applies to DC-IN and normal operation.

Anyway: In case you can try powering through the Euler connector and/or measure voltages when the board starts up (BTW: I always use a powermeter when I try out new stuff on boards when no serial console is available. Consumption while trying to boot tells pretty much)
(04-17-2016, 11:38 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-17-2016, 11:31 AM)fire219 Wrote: The board is getting 5.22v, measured off the Pi2 GPIO connector.

Sounds good. The question is how low voltage drops under load. Someone reported measuring up to 800mA consumption while booting a Linux image.

Since I do many tests with SBCs I kept a well known 'crap cable' here instead of throwing it away (USB type A to Micro USB). With this cable I already get 0.6V less at 600mA consumption. And while the A64's PMU might be able to use very low input voltages I still doubt that this applies to DC-IN and normal operation.

Anyway: In case you can try powering through the Euler connector and/or measure voltages when the board starts up (BTW: I always use a powermeter when I try out new stuff on boards when no serial console is available. Consumption while trying to boot tells pretty much)

After doing some more power testing...

No SD card or USB (FEL): Power is rock steady at 5.21V.
No SD, FEL connected: Steady at 5.19V.
SD connected, (same with and without FEL): Bounces between 5.18 and 5.20V, on a 1-2 second cycle for about 15 seconds, before settling at 5.19. This sounds like to me that the ROM is trying to access the SD card, gives up quickly, and tries again several times before giving up completely.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

Exclamation 
Got it in the mail two days ago. Unfortunately, my PINE won't boot either, as many in this forum seem to have a problem with. It only shows a red LED ("power connected"). No output on the screen.

PSU: Samsung 2A power supply / different fast charge (thick) USB cables / Anker Powerbank
SD: Transcend 32Gb class 10 flashed using Phoenixcard v3.1
HDMI: Two different beamers, LG monitor, Dell monitor

My Raspberry Pi 3 works with all hardware as listed above (yes even the powerbank)

Any more ideas before I label it Dead On Arrival?
Can you please try again to burn the Android image and get back to us with the exact message (even better a screenshot) of the last line Phoenix Card shows (please compare with the screenshot here to get the idea).

In case you connected an Ethernet cable this is known to prevent a successful first boot of Android and Remix OS images.
Thanks for the input tkaiser.
I flashed several images, and Phoenix Card always displayed the magic was performed and everything checked out OK. No errors.
I did not connect any ethernet cable. Just HDMI, SD card and power.
Also anotherhigh output charger with thick cable was borrowed just now; to no avail.
(04-18-2016, 05:52 AM)GorillaHuman Wrote: I flashed several images, and Phoenix Card always displayed the magic was performed and everything checked out OK. No errors.

Then I'm running out of ideas. Except the hardcore developer stuff (see http://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64) like powering through Euler connector, measuring consumption while trying to boot, measuring voltages on the RPi connector, using a serial console to see whether the device got stuck in u-boot, trying out a Linux image and see if the router assigned a DHCP lease with connected Ethernet...

But i don't recommend all of the above since that's nothing normal users shoud have to deal with. I hope the Pine64 folks will use a 2nd LED on their next board revision that can be used for user interaction (indicating power problems, DOA, successful boot stages and so on)

IIRC someone reported that his Pine64 only negotiates a display signal with one out of four displays he has. That's one of the reasons I would try to not use an Android image for DOA detection (since this might happily boot to the desktop but you never realize)
(04-18-2016, 06:06 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-18-2016, 05:52 AM)GorillaHuman Wrote: I flashed several images, and Phoenix Card always displayed the magic was performed and everything checked out OK. No errors.

Then I'm running out of ideas. Except the hardcore developer stuff (see http://linux-sunxi.org/Pine64) like powering through Euler connector, measuring consumption while trying to boot, measuring voltages on the RPi connector, using a serial console to see whether the device got stuck in u-boot, trying out a Linux image and see if the router assigned a DHCP lease with connected Ethernet...

But i don't recommend all of the above since that's nothing normal users shoud have to deal with. I hope the Pine64 folks will use a 2nd LED on their next board revision that can be used for user interaction (indicating power problems, DOA, successful boot stages and so on)

IIRC someone reported that his Pine64 only negotiates a display signal with one out of four displays he has. That's one of the reasons I would try to not use an Android image for DOA detection (since this might happily boot to the desktop but you never realize)

I've figured out through trying to get one of my monitors to work with the P64 via HDMI/DVI, that the Ubuntu image will boot without a HDMI cable plugged in. If you can use an Image writer to load your card (not Phoenix Card as it's told me it's work previously and nothing was written to the card) then power up with just an Ethernet cable plugged in then you should get flashing Ethernet LED's in about 30 seconds
tkaiser is right. The best way to determine DOA status will likely be a serial connection.

http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...01#pid5101   my post there explains the pinout if you have such a device handy. If the device is functioning at all, even with a bad flash image you should probably see something.

I was the one who reported out of 4 tv/displays in my house the pine only works on One. No matter the OS.

The two biggest technical tragedies of the Pine are the lack of testing of the 2Gb device before shipment and the HORRID lack of real HDMI functionality. In the end the lack of HDMI functionality will cost them a fortune in returned boards. A close third is the decision to replace the green power LED with red which makes many people instantly think something is wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PBP won't power. Charge light solid orange/red but turns off. cmicallef 15 12,242 03-12-2021, 07:08 PM
Last Post: cmicallef
  Power light flashes on then nothing foxy82 13 19,869 08-08-2016, 02:03 AM
Last Post: pfeerick