creating bootable remixOS/android MicroSD on Mac OS X or linux?
Question 
hi all,

i've gone over the wiki instructions for creating a bootble RemixOS/Android MicroSD drive.

it seems, from these instructions, the only way to create this release MicroSD is using the PhoenixCard software, and that software only works on the Windows platform, and i have no windows machine.
  • is there any way to install the RemixOS/Android image without the Windows PhoenixCard software? Or is Windows with the Phoenix card the only way?
  • is there another, equivalent app that does the same thing in Mac OS X or any flaovr of Linux (those are the platforms i have)?
  • can it be done using Mac OS X/Linus 'dd' — i read ray hightower's quick start guide to pine64 with Mac OS X and attempted to try creating the RemixOS/Android image using those instructions with 'dd,' but the image i made on the MicroSD would not boot. is there another way to do this with 'dd' or some other app or command line utility?
please advise on this — thanks to all in advance.

best,

—  faddah
    portland, oregon, u.s.a.
(04-16-2016, 02:50 PM)faddah Wrote: hi all,

i've gone over the wiki instructions for creating a bootble RemixOS/Android MicroSD drive.

it seems, from these instructions, the only way to create this release MicroSD is using the PhoenixCard software, and that software only works on the Windows platform, and i have no windows machine.
  • is there any way to install the RemixOS/Android image without the Windows PhoenixCard software? Or is Windows with the Phoenix card the only way?
  • is there another, equivalent app that does the same thing in Mac OS X or any flaovr of Linux (those are the platforms i have)?
  • can it be done using Mac OS X/Linus 'dd' — i read ray hightower's quick start guide to pine64 with Mac OS X and attempted to try creating the RemixOS/Android image using those instructions with 'dd,' but the image i made on the MicroSD would not boot. is there another way to do this with 'dd' or some other app or command line utility?
please advise on this — thanks to all in advance.

best,

—  faddah
    portland, oregon, u.s.a.
We will create the Remix and Android build image that can be dd by Linux or MacOS on this week.
Rainbow 
(04-17-2016, 09:09 AM)tllim Wrote: We will create the Remix and Android build image that can be dd by Linux or MacOS on this week.

oh cool! this is great news. i'll keep checking here in the forums and on the software part of the wiki for when that may come out. thanx!

also, i may have found another possible solution i am looking into for *Nix OS systems. i will let you know if i find anything worth reporting.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
faddah
(04-17-2016, 09:09 AM)tllim Wrote: We will create the Remix and Android build image that can be dd by Linux or MacOS on this week.

oh cool! this is great news. i'll keep checking here in the forums and on the software part of the wiki for when that may come out. thanx!

also, i may have found another possible solution i am looking into for *Nix OS systems. i will let you know if i find anything worth reporting.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
Noted, we will "standardize" on DD way for Android, Remix and Linux image (longsleep's Arch and Ubuntu), create 8GB, 16GB, and 32GB images so that user can burn the microSD card from Windows, OSX, and Linux OS enviroment.
We will release the Phoenixcard image for users that interest to try out, especially burn on different microSD card capacity such as 64GB or 128GB.
Hopefully this method will reduce newbie installation issue.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  linux-headers and quartz64-post-install package conflicts Berzerkleyfan 2 547 12-01-2023, 05:17 AM
Last Post: Berzerkleyfan
  Irradium (based on crux linux) riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 532 11-03-2023, 03:10 PM
Last Post: mara
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  PINE64 Installer - Simple Way to Image Your MicroSD pineadmin 101 149,166 01-15-2020, 12:46 PM
Last Post: tophneal
Information Creating a NAS server in Pine64 javi_cala 4 8,218 01-21-2019, 02:03 AM
Last Post: bartes
  Creating bootable Debian backup image Drago 3 5,884 12-11-2018, 03:42 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
Question Do I need a touchscreen to run Android? chrbar 3 5,042 08-08-2018, 10:55 PM
Last Post: chrbar
  ethernet lan speed problem android fulltone 0 2,595 04-23-2018, 01:47 AM
Last Post: fulltone
  Linux Headers jedichewbacca 5 8,486 02-28-2018, 10:35 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
Information Installing Node.js from source on Arch Linux faddah 1 7,024 09-15-2017, 06:45 AM
Last Post: carlonsins