Steam Cache
Sorry about my English. I'm using google translator.
I have a rock64 4GB and HD 2.5 of 500GB (used in usb 3.0).
I made a Server Steam Cache DNS, with Nginx and Debian Stretch, as in the link: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/01/b...-bandwidth -blues/
Expected speeds of 80-90MB, but only achieved 15-18MB, it was disappointing! I think small files copy at lower speeds.
Any suggestions to improve this speed?
Now that is an interesting application! Those speeds do seem very slow, but I don't know how such a Cache server works, so not sure if something else could be the bottleneck. I hope you get some good suggestions however, as I can see this being a really good and interesting application for the R64.

There are quite a few nifty scripts in /usr/local/sbin - one of them being armbianmonitor. It can do a few things, but I think you should try:

Code:
armbianmonitor -c
armbianmonitor -m
armbianmonitor -n

The first checks disk performance and health. The second is a simplified monitor. The last logs network performance in real time.
Perhaps one of these will give you some insight.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-24-2018, 04:33 PM)Luke Wrote: Now that is an interesting application! Those speeds do seem very slow, but I don't know how such a Cache server works, so not sure if something else could be the bottleneck. I hope you get some good suggestions however, as I can see this being a really good and interesting application for the R64.

There are quite a few nifty scripts in /usr/local/sbin - one of them being armbianmonitor. It can do a few things, but I think you should try:

Code:
armbianmonitor -c
armbianmonitor -m
armbianmonitor -n

The first checks disk performance and health. The second is a simplified monitor. The last logs network performance in real time.

Besides what luke say i see at the guide that it uses a NAS but i see no NAS installation per se, do you use a hardware NAS (a synology as sugested on the guide maybe?)? id look at that part of the kit...if you plan to use the same box for NAS maybe you get better speeds with OMV that have several optimizations for the rock64 and also can run dockers on top of it (since the guide also use dockers for a big part of the setup)

Also 15mb/s sounds suspiciusly close to the speeds i was getting when my hdd was formatted as NTFS (even on OMV, then i reformatted it to EXT4 and now i get about 50mb/s (its a shitty disk, probably any disk can do better lol)), maybe you dont know it but NTFS on linux have very bad performance, you need EXT3 at least for good performance, EXT4 preferably...
(09-24-2018, 09:09 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(09-24-2018, 04:33 PM)Luke Wrote: Now that is an interesting application! Those speeds do seem very slow, but I don't know how such a Cache server works, so not sure if something else could be the bottleneck. I hope you get some good suggestions however, as I can see this being a really good and interesting application for the R64.

Code:
armbianmonitor -c
armbianmonitor -m
armbianmonitor -n

Besides what luke say i see at the guide that it uses a NAS but i see no NAS installation per se, do you use a hardware NAS (a synology as sugested on the guide maybe?)? id look at that part of the kit...if you plan to use the same box for NAS maybe you get better speeds with OMV that have several optimizations for the rock64 and also can run dockers on top of it (since the guide also use dockers for a big part of the setup)

Also 15mb/s sounds suspiciusly close to the speeds i was getting when my hdd was formatted as NTFS (even on OMV, then i reformatted it to EXT4 and now i get about 50mb/s (its a shitty disk, probably any disk can do better lol)), maybe you dont know it but NTFS on linux have very bad performance, you need EXT3 at least for good performance, EXT4 preferably...

Excuse my English!
Use OMV 0.7.8 with HD ext4.
I tried Docker and could not. I did the hard way with Nginx, and it worked! But the speeds are 15-18MB.
When I copy files on the network, using samba, I have speeds of 90-103MB. Only Steam Cache files are slow.