Emulation in Linux
(05-27-2016, 03:59 PM)remainder Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 06:13 PM)tllim Wrote:
(04-26-2016, 01:08 PM)remainder Wrote: I haven't seen any new information about them in a while now. Hopefully they are still making progress, as it would be better to have specifically built images for this use, especially if they support ARM64.

For now, I'm still playing around with my Arch setup, but I've not made much progress in getting the GPU acceleration to work.

I will ping Lakka folks on this week.

@tllim: Any progress being made on Pine support by Lakka?

Lakka has the board, but chances are, they're squashing bugs on their new release not to long ago. I emailed TL yesterday and he is going to work on getting a board over to the lead developer at RetroPie. Can't wait for the binaries to drop like mentioned above.
(06-07-2016, 06:57 AM)Luke Wrote: I will be making an effort to bring a retropie-like experience to the Pine64 once images with mali binaries drop. This should be sometime this month if Allwinner delivers. Cannot say how difficult this will be as at this stage. If I get somewhere with this then I will, of course, make an announcement about it.

@Luke: That sounds excellent. I made a little bit of headway on the Arch distribution (which is now unsupported), but the lack of Mali driver binaries was the stopping point for me. If I get some time, I would like to help out where possible.

@KryPtAlIvIaN: Good to know that progress is being made. Keeping my fingers crossed that Allwinner comes through soon.
I would like to say that these issues will work out in time. This board has not been out that long and there are a lot of talented people working on the software issues. It will take a while but I believe this board will eventually be a gamechanger. The bootloader needs work. The mali drivers need work. And the O/S' need stabilization. All of this takes lots and lots of time. Chasing down bugs. Finding out why things didn't compile as you expected. Everyone needs to be patient. All the source code is pretty much available and time will sort out the issues.
has anyone found a way to run it?
(10-16-2016, 04:46 PM)hamzahbondok Wrote: has anyone found a way to run it?

Progress on hardware acceleration in Linux seems to be slow, so I've since switched to Android. It's not ideal, but Retroarch runs pretty well for older pre-32-bit consoles. Haven't personally tried anything more recent, but I would guess it's hit or miss depending on the game.
(10-17-2016, 02:27 AM)remainder Wrote:

Progress on hardware acceleration in Linux seems to be slow, so I've since switched to Android. It's not ideal, but Retroarch runs pretty well for older pre-32-bit consoles. Haven't personally tried anything more recent, but I would guess it's hit or miss depending on the game.

I wanted to use linux though i looked on github someone was working on porting recalbox but I wanted to know if someone got something like it working (on linux)
(10-17-2016, 04:15 PM)hamzahbondok Wrote:
(10-17-2016, 02:27 AM)remainder Wrote:

I wanted to use linux though i looked on github someone was working on porting recalbox but I wanted to know if someone got something like it working (on linux)

Any progress on emulation in linux will be limited until hardware acceleration is available. With current capabilities (i.e. software acceleration only), I was only able to get ~9FPS on a SNES core in Retroarch, which Recalbox also uses. Given the slow progress and difficulties in getting this working, I think you might be waiting for a long time.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What OS and emulators are you using for your emulation station? tanarri 2 7,189 04-11-2020, 03:10 AM
Last Post: lawrencejd
  GBA Emulation Working on 512MB Board, Ubuntu MonarchOfLight 0 3,174 02-16-2017, 07:50 PM
Last Post: MonarchOfLight
Big Grin My pine is ready to ship! What's the status on emulation? pqueiro 0 3,082 05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
Last Post: pqueiro