Make a liitle Pine, please
(09-27-2018, 04:42 AM)soupbowl Wrote: Interesting, I was moaning yesterday about the lack of Linux support for tablet/netbook hybrids. Are there any photos at this point, or is secret squirrel right now?

The reason why I didn't post pictures or start a conversation about it in the past on the forum is because all features are a subject to change. Including when the device comes out, how it will looks and what the final specs are. That said, here is a picture of an early prototype I saw 2 months back:
[Image: 2k0iNbW.jpg]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-27-2018, 06:00 AM)Luke Wrote: The reason why I didn't post pictures or start a conversation about it in the past on the forum is because all features are a subject to change. Including when the device comes out, how it will looks and what the final specs are. That said, here is a picture of an early prototype I saw 2 months back:
<snipped>

That's a cool prototype. I'm intrigued how it would be detachable, either via magnetic mount points or a more reliable clip mount? Regardless, thanks for sharing! Well aware it's very early stages, but it's something to be excited about and work out my excuse with the missues to buy one  Wink
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
the keyboard is attached via magnets and there are two small guiding knobs that help to keep it in place. Those magnets are quite strong. As for actual IO, the keyboard uses USB 2.0 pogo pins. The keyboard doubles up as a pretty neat sleeve, which wraps the entire tab.

The keyboard may change significantly for the production model - although I hope that the key style remains as pictures. We tried 4 different key styles during the meeting and agreed that this works best at this scale. Two things I'd like to see changed: trackpad placement to be centered and physical buttons for the trackpad (although, this is not a biggie).

The tab itself has volume up-down rocker, a lock button, headphone jack and a camera in the back(which no-one will use) and a grippy plastic-rubber surface. The screen is quite nice too. The final model may have forward facing speakers.

(09-27-2018, 07:12 AM)Luke Wrote: the keyboard is attached via magnets and there are two small guiding knobs that help to keep it in place. Those magnets are quite strong. As for actual IO, the keyboard uses USB 2.0 pogo pins. The keyboard doubles up as a pretty neat sleeve, which wraps the entire tab.

The keyboard may change significantly for the production model - although I hope that the key style remains as pictures. We tried 4 different key styles during the meeting and agreed that this works best at this scale. Two things I'd like to see changed: trackpad placement to be centered and physical buttons for the trackpad (although, this is not a biggie).

The tab itself has volume up-down rocker, a lock button, headphone jack and a camera in the back(which no-one will use) and a grippy plastic-rubber surface. The screen is quite nice too. The final model may have forward facing speakers.

Oh, I love it already! It will be great to start being able to experience the recent tablet-esque feature pushes like with KDE without forking out an arm and a leg.

Camera's in functional tablets I always find a bit strange. I have never used the front camera in any of the tablets I've owned. I'd imagine keeping that out of it would shave down a lot on the cost too, but it's always a democracy when it comes to this.

Completely agree with your view in that regard, and I love the fact you guys try and keep it as generic as possible so that bespoke drivers are not needed.
Wow, it looks very good, almost like some Lenovo product. It it only used some stronger SoC.
(09-28-2018, 02:09 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Wow, it looks very good, almost like some Lenovo product. It it only used some stronger SoC.

I think we may see something with a more powerful SOC in the future - but at a different price-point of course.
It all depends on what you want and need.

(09-28-2018, 02:14 AM)Luke Wrote: I think we may see something with a more powerful SOC in the future - but at a different price-point of course.

Not sure if I'm joined with this, but I'm attracted to Pinebook to the low price point. Would be good if the parts are replaceable (I don't mean easily, but that replacement boards are manufacturered) so you can opt for either a low power cheap spec, or a higher power one.

Either way, I'd be happy to see how your tablet project develops! Will it be crowdfunded potentially?
(10-25-2018, 08:09 AM)soupbowl Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 02:14 AM)Luke Wrote: I think we may see something with a more powerful SOC in the future - but at a different price-point of course.

Not sure if I'm joined with this, but I'm attracted to Pinebook to the low price point. Would be good if the parts are replaceable (I don't mean easily, but that replacement boards are manufacturered) so you can opt for either a low power cheap spec, or a higher power one.

Either way, I'd be happy to see how your tablet project develops! Will it be crowdfunded potentially?

I think that it will follow the Pinebook model of BTO, but I may be wrong.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  pine book out of stock zeta 5 7,765 12-01-2019, 01:41 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Make it possible to develop android apps on Pinebook [Feature] ilyaigpetrov 6 8,222 08-30-2019, 07:37 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pine OS on non-PineBook aberrebbi 5 7,294 12-05-2018, 07:14 PM
Last Post: aberrebbi
  Sleep current for Pinebook or other Pine A64 based boards xbing6 4 5,623 07-07-2018, 02:38 PM
Last Post: ayufan
  Use Pinebook to make a presentation in the conference sujunmin 1 2,619 08-05-2017, 08:03 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Interested in Pine 64 board and Pinebook 64 Omnios 42 53,470 04-11-2017, 03:25 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PINE A64(+) and Pinebook related topic pineadmin 0 4,250 03-23-2017, 11:32 PM
Last Post: pineadmin