Is this flaw something to be concerned about?
My Pine64 512MB just arrived. Before even opening the anti-static bag I noticed all the extra solder seen in the attached photo. My hunch is that it's fine, but before I power this board up I thought I'd get a second opinion. What do people think?

(04-15-2016, 11:47 AM)ape Wrote: My Pine64 512MB just arrived. Before even opening the anti-static bag I noticed all the extra solder seen in the attached photo. My hunch is that it's fine, but before I power this board up I thought I'd get a second opinion. What do people think?

Thats very very poor quality. I am disappointed seeing this. 15$ orange pi pc build solidly. I expected atleast that quality from Pine64.
It's poor finishing but if the areas we can see in the photo are the only ones with excess solder then it shouldn't cause you any issues. It's mostly on parts of the ground plane and doesn't seem to be bridging any pins. The board will surely have been powered on already during factory tests.

For what it's worth mine looks totally clean on the underside so you could probably return it based on poor quality control if it worries you.
(04-15-2016, 12:50 PM)pbeesley Wrote: It's poor finishing but if the areas we can see in the photo are the only ones with excess solder then it shouldn't cause you any issues. It's mostly on parts of the ground plane and doesn't seem to be bridging any pins. The board will surely have been powered on already during factory tests.

For what it's worth mine looks totally clean on the underside so you could probably return it based on poor quality control if it worries you.

Thanks - it's only on the ground plane as far as I can tell. I'll take a close look at the other side to see if that spillover made any bridges where it shouldn't have.

Given how swamped Pine64 folks have been, if it's functional, I won't bother bothering them. Not really worth the time/wait, etc. If it helped them improve their process in the future I might consider it.
(04-15-2016, 12:56 PM)ape Wrote:
(04-15-2016, 12:50 PM)pbeesley Wrote: It's poor finishing but if the areas we can see in the photo are the only ones with excess solder then it shouldn't cause you any issues. It's mostly on parts of the ground plane and doesn't seem to be bridging any pins. The board will surely have been powered on already during factory tests.

Thanks - it's only on the ground plane as far as I can tell. I'll take a close look at the other side to see if that spillover made any bridges where it shouldn't have.

Given how swamped Pine64 folks have been, if it's functional, I won't bother bothering them. Not really worth the time/wait, etc. If it helped them improve their process in the future I might consider it.

Sorry about the board quality, based on the photo, its affect cosmetic looking and will not affect electronic function. We have  already file the report to factory on the board quality concern. If you are not comfortable with this board, please PM me.