Move Installation from SD Card to eMMC?
Can almost guarantee this has been discussed and answered, but my searching ability eludes me.

Is there a way to clone the whole SD Card installation onto the eMMC? I would like to install KDE Neon onto my onboard eMMC, but I can't seem to find a version for eMMC installation. A direct clone would be awesome, but I'm happy if there's maybe an imgflash approach.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
(09-21-2018, 03:52 PM)soupbowl Wrote: Can almost guarantee this has been discussed and answered, but my searching ability eludes me.

Is there a way to clone the whole SD Card installation onto the eMMC? I would like to install KDE Neon onto my onboard eMMC, but I can't seem to find a version for eMMC installation.  A direct clone would be awesome, but I'm happy if there's maybe an imgflash approach.

You can clone with dd, but the source would have to be read-only or unmounted or you would get file system corruption
(09-21-2018, 04:29 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(09-21-2018, 03:52 PM)soupbowl Wrote: Can almost guarantee this has been discussed and answered, but my searching ability eludes me.

Is there a way to clone the whole SD Card installation onto the eMMC? I would like to install KDE Neon onto my onboard eMMC, but I can't seem to find a version for eMMC installation.  A direct clone would be awesome, but I'm happy if there's maybe an imgflash approach.

You can clone with dd, but the source would have to be read-only or unmounted or you would get file system corruption
I've just tried grabbing a copy of KDE Neon and DD that to eMMC, which was successful. However I tried straight copying the system but like you said, the result was basically whatever it could access, and the system would not boot.

I'm happy enough with the fresh install, proves that live usage of DD is a challenge though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
you ever have one of those days, wife just called, hot 1 wrong key my whole post is gone......sigh

ok here goes

just goy my pinebook 64, SHOULD there be an sd card w/ an OS in the package somewhere?

reading some posts here, it sounds like there should, but none in mine, so maybe not?

found what I believe are current images here: https://github.com/ayufan-pine64/linux-build/releases

since Ive been a raspi user for a few years ive burned my share of sd images, I just want to make sure im doing it right.

my initial plan was to buy this pull out the rock64 and put in a raspi or whatever the best SOC I could find, but the raspi community has taken me for several hundred $ through KS issues and "lost deliveries" that Im thinking ill start with what we have and see how it goes.

that being said I would love to do a fair and positive vcideo review of the 'unboxing' but i have to admit w/ the differences in support the lack of step by step could be seen as discouraging.

I bought the extra 64gb eemc and case and other stuff (arrived a few months ago), initially I thought this was to replace the 16gb, but now im thinking this is in addition to?

ok, anyone who has thoughts let me know, advice what have you.

I'm a professional tech writer for healthcare software, and writing what I want is my plan for the PB, even at bare minimum specs this should be just what i need,

all suggestions ideas and directions freely accepted!

Thanks
Doing a direct copy is not really that easy, but it can be done. I'm not that familiar with the filesystem layout of the KDE OS so I can't give exact instructions.

What I would do is get a USB to emmc adapter. Layout the filesystem on the new disk the same as the old. Make a new partition for the /, then either do a dump/restore or rsync from the old to the new. This would be done on a 3rd machine or a pinebook booted from a new disk.

What I've been doing is I have a microsd that I wrote the KDE image to, and I use that to then install onto the emmc. You don't have to go through the install process on the microsd because it takes forever. Find the name of the emmc using lsblk (probably mmcblk1), then write the image to it. Easy. I saved that microsd in case I have to do it again.

There isn't enough hacker info for the Pinebook yet. Either that or I can't find it. The wiki made me hopeful but there's not much there.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,599 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  How to transfer customised OS from SDcard to emmc quixote 1 3,040 01-07-2022, 06:38 AM
Last Post: alanwake82
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,613 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  eMMC backup milkaca 19 26,945 04-08-2020, 07:35 PM
Last Post: adamz
Lightbulb Boot from SD card / boot options lodger 13 23,829 11-26-2019, 07:14 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  eMMC boot linux distros for Pinebook. frank-zappa 14 20,411 09-06-2019, 08:39 AM
  Link to 11.6 pinebook mainboard schematics for removing wifi card Shoananas 0 1,955 05-19-2019, 04:46 PM
Last Post: Shoananas
  These fell out of my Pinebook when I tried to replace the eMMC. frank-zappa 6 7,839 03-02-2019, 06:51 AM
  Is it possible to choose between SD/eMMC boot programmatically? UltraBloxX 2 4,726 01-28-2019, 11:41 AM
Last Post: UltraBloxX
  [SOLVED] Can't boot when SD card inserted jschall 5 7,648 11-17-2018, 11:53 AM
Last Post: jschall