Sharing first impressions as new owner
Not exactly. I have managed to run armbian, which was pretty stable on desktop and have just compared default frequencies and governors. All Kodi installation attempts failed on armbian. Armbian has GPU frequency at 200MHz by default, but LibreELEC 500MHz and is crashing.
I have lowered frequency to 400MHz in LibreELEC and it's running most of the time, but not as stable I was hoping for. It's still crashing on startup, when cold or when hot about 55'C.
It's still mystery to me, how the board once managed to stay alive for about 16 days without any crash in LibreELEC.
Do you know which build of LibreELEC it was you had running for 16 days? Had you changed the governor to achieve that or was that using default settings?

Is the gstreamer-rockchip plugin in ayufans repo? I built that under Armbian but I just got a black window when trying to play videos but I did have to comment a line out to get it to build which could've caused problems.

EDIT

I should mention that I was successful in getting hw accelerated playback working under mpv under armbian by loosely following those instructions I linked in my last post, but just like under ayufans distro it only works at 1080 and its very unstable. I have read the gstreamer-rockchip plugin allows for hw accelerated 4K playback either in a window or fullscreen.

EDIT 2

I should clarify that. I am able to play hw accelerated 4K h264 videos under armbian mpv but only on a 1080 display / output res. If I try to play 4K h264 files on my 4K display @ 4K (not 1080), I get very jerky playback with lots of horizontal green lines, just as happen under ayufans kernel / mpv package.
I've opened a bug report for the gstreamer-rockchip build error here:

https://github.com/rockchip-linux/gstrea.../issues/42

A useful resource for rock64 users is this page which explains how to configure and test video on rockchip boards. It isn't for the exact same rk chipset but much of it applies to r64 users just the same:

https://forum.armbian.com/topic/6506-tut...lt-kernel/
(01-13-2019, 07:27 AM)danboid Wrote: Do you know which build of LibreELEC it was you had running for 16 days? Had you changed the governor to achieve that or was that using default settings?

It has been a custom aarch64 build with default settings. After that it started to fail again. As I mentioned earlier, I suspect my board is defective.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Big Grin Rock64 as a retro-gaming console: early impressions Luke 54 102,480 10-07-2020, 11:21 AM
Last Post: jakejm79
  Slow SMB transfers when sharing encrypted USB drive - is my CPU the bottleneck? oealias 3 4,638 04-01-2018, 03:42 AM
Last Post: pfeerick