Windows on Arm
Hi, I don't own a Pinebook but I noticed that the specs are pretty good for the price and that the processor is 64-bit. It appears that it could run Windows 10 on Arm, but I haven't seen any information about it. Is it possible to run Windows 10 Professional ARM64 on the Pinebook? If so, then it should be done because the Pinebook would most likely become the cheapest Windows on Arm laptop and probably make headlines.
at the present i think that windows on ARM only works with qualcomm processors like the 835. i think this whole windows on ARM thing is gonna take several years to get any kind of popular usage because currently it is so limited on what it can do. and it depends a great deal on if qualcomm decides to stick with it . as far as running windows on ARM on a pinebook that would never happen. the A64 cpu is nowhere as near as powerful as a 835 and right now windows on ARM is very sluggish on those systems.
WoA works on other processors too like the broadcom series used with Rasbperry Pi3. There is already an experimental image for rpi3, so it's doable.
depends on what you call "works" , one review out on youtube mentions that bootup to desktop elapsed time is ~14minutes. ymmv, but i do not call that "working" or "doable". no start menu, no network, no wifi, no sound, only usb works sometimes & sd card. that is not "working" as far as i'm concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1IxvKJeho
watch the video. he also says it works. i disagree. it runs somewhat but that is not the same as declaring it works as a desktop.
Unless MS seriously makes the decision to release the full Windows for ARM the way it's for x86 (I mean creating ecosystem for writing drivers as well), we will be hearing fairy tales of Windows "being sluggish" from persons that of course never have run it there. Funny, but on the video posted, it's already seen - it runs geeewd! So incomplete support and runs a much much more aesthetic and powerful desktop without freaking tearing! Yeah, 14 mins of booting. it's definitely the matter of fix. The only thing I fear, MS has a little interest to spend their resources for a tiny enthusiaistic SBC market. Otherwise, it would be awesome!
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
(09-13-2018, 07:38 AM)dkryder Wrote: depends on what you call "works" , one review out on youtube mentions that bootup to desktop elapsed time is ~14minutes. ymmv, but i do not call that  "working" or "doable". no start menu, no network, no wifi, no sound, only usb works sometimes & sd card. that is not "working" as far as i'm concerned.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b1IxvKJeho
watch the video. he also says it works. i disagree. it runs somewhat but that is not the same as declaring it works as a desktop.

Hi, I have tested Windows on Arm on the Raspberry Pi and it has better drivers now, startup time is only 2 minutes and there's sound drivers now. If you set it up properly the start menu and everything else also works correctly. x86 emulation works well too, I was even able to run a game on it, though very slowly as it's a raspberry pi. The only limit right now is the USB and LAN drivers, Windows 10 IoT has them but they're 32-bit ARM and they're not open source like the other drivers. If the correct drivers were written for the Pinebook, then it might be possible to run full Windows 10 Pro on it and it'd be the cheapest ARM laptop yet (the ones currently go for around $1000, and nobody would want to spend that much on a laptop that wouldn't bring as much performance as a competitor laptop!)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Windows 10 Cloud for ARM boubik 3 4,537 10-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Last Post: tllim