GPU not working with Ubuntu and Debian builds
When i flash the following images to my MicroSD card and boot up my Rock64 the GPU Mali 450MP is not working.  Video playback is horrible.

bionic-lxde-rock64-0.7.9-1067-arm64.img.xz
bionic-minimal-rock64-0.7.8-1061-arm64.img.xz
stretch-mate-rock64-0.5.15-136-20171222-arm64.img.xz
stretch-minimal-rock64-0.7.8-1061-arm64.img.xz

When i flash LibreELEC-RK3328.arm-9.0-nightly-20180909-8d97906-rock64.img which runs Kodi it plays video in full 4k so i know the GPU works.

Is their anything i can do to get the full graphics capability out of my Rock64 running Linux?
because everyone is too lazy to deal with this problem
(09-13-2018, 10:32 AM)zet_lab Wrote: because everyone is too lazy to deal with this problem

This is a collaborative effort, so...you can collaborate too instead of criticize...that being said AFAIK the problem is that the gpu driver is being basically reverse engineered to make it work in the newer kernels because the chipset manufacturer isnt clear about basic hardware functionality, this work is totally not a copy paste work, its more like dismantling the entire ISS without schematics then assemble it again but in reverse and under the sea...everything without charging a dime for it...libreelec works AFAIK because libreelec not being a full linux distro they often hack pieces and bits of the manufacturer driver and also they dont care about the latest kernel usually so they stay a few kernel versions back to make it work...(they dont care about the latest kernel because libreelec is not critical about security, you care a lot less if your kodi box gets hacked then if your NAS gets hacked as example)

So...calling people lazy when doing a lot of work for free while having lifes and working on a real paying job is widelly unfair...
(09-14-2018, 11:32 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(09-13-2018, 10:32 AM)zet_lab Wrote: because everyone is too lazy to deal with this problem

This is a collaborative effort, so...you can collaborate too instead of criticize...that being said AFAIK the problem is that the gpu driver is being basically reverse engineered to make it work in the newer kernels because the chipset manufacturer isnt clear about basic hardware functionality, this work is totally not a copy paste work, its more like dismantling the entire ISS without schematics then assemble it again but in reverse and under the sea...everything without charging a dime for it...libreelec works AFAIK because libreelec not being a full linux distro they often hack pieces and bits of the manufacturer driver and also they dont care about the latest kernel usually so they stay a few kernel versions back to make it work...(they dont care about the latest kernel because libreelec is not critical about security, you care a lot less if your kodi box gets hacked then if your NAS gets hacked as example)

So...calling people lazy when doing a lot of work for free while having lifes and working on a real paying job is widelly unfair...
Thank you Trash_Can_Man for your information.  I am glad its not me doing something wrong with the Linux image or setup.  Appreciate everyone's hard work.  Are you aware of any images that use the graphics hardware functionality that i would be able to run a linux desktop on?  Even if its an older kernel.
I was avoiding this thread, but ... what do you want the GPU for? the drivers are there if you need them for 3D. Or is this another GPU / VPU confusion ?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(09-14-2018, 01:37 PM)Luke Wrote: I was avoiding this thread, but ... what do you want the GPU for? the drivers are there if you need them for 3D. Or is this another GPU / VPU confusion ?

I am looking to watch high quality movies using the rock64 as a media player as well as run Pi-hole and a linuxdesktop.
(09-14-2018, 03:46 PM)kdawgpoker Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 01:37 PM)Luke Wrote: I was avoiding this thread, but ... what do you want the GPU for? the drivers are there if you need them for 3D. Or is this another GPU / VPU confusion ?

I am looking to watch high quality movies using the rock64 as a media player as well as run Pi-hole and a linuxdesktop.

If the drivers are available where are they and how do i install them?  My current linux desktop is choppy and movie playback is unwatchable.
(09-15-2018, 06:07 AM)kdawgpoker Wrote:

If the drivers are available where are they and how do i install them?  My current linux desktop is choppy and movie playback is unwatchable.

Desktop choppy = gpu
movie playback = vpu

For the desktop problem whats exactly the issue since the last time i tested it it was working perfectly and responsive at least on 1080p?
For the movie playback im not sure if you can get atm on the desktop builds more than 1080p on the ayufan desktop image...

And about your needed use case, you really need the desktop? because for youtube and videos and even for pihole (and any other micro servers with docker) you can use libreelec...there is also the option of ""dual boot"" (where you need both an emmc and an sd card and you really boot from one or the other)
(09-15-2018, 11:30 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 06:07 AM)kdawgpoker Wrote:

Desktop choppy = gpu
movie playback = vpu

For the desktop problem whats exactly the issue since the last time i tested it it was working perfectly and responsive at least on 1080p?
For the movie playback im not sure if you can get atm on the desktop builds more than 1080p on the ayufan desktop image...

And about your needed use case, you really need the desktop? because for youtube and videos and even for pihole (and any other micro servers with docker) you can use libreelec...there is also the option of ""dual boot"" (where you need both an emmc and an sd card and you really boot from one or the other)

The desktop is very choppy also moving windows around even at 1080P.  The movie playback at 1080P is so choppy.  It just seems like I need to install a graphics driver to improve the performance.  

I don't necessarily need a desktop for my end goal of Kodi and Pi-Hole.  I just want to see this board working at its best as i experiment with different builds.  Any help you can be around installing the graphics driver is much appreciated.
(09-14-2018, 11:32 AM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote:

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone and call them lazy. I know English not enough to write texts and so I often use a translator.
Now to the topic everyone is interested in when it will be possible to watch a normal video, so the video played smoothly ?
I have another Board (orange pi pc), there in Linux video playback is implemented through the MPV player, other video players will play bad. Can we at least implement video playback in this way ? (Or make for example a special Assembly for Linux Kodi)
So, I personally that is severely lacking, I Rock64 downloads torrents, works like a home server, but I don't have enough opportunities to watch TV or a movie.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How to update/compile Debian 12.5? Wizardknight 2 208 03-14-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,961 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  Hibernate in Ubuntu grobbs 0 914 01-09-2022, 05:55 PM
Last Post: grobbs
Sad Blinkind red LED and stop working randomly ? jean_bruder 1 1,597 12-12-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  rock64-debian-mrfixit-190531.img.xz : missing /usr/lib/dri/rockchip_dri.so popi 5 5,118 08-12-2021, 04:55 AM
Last Post: igorp
Lightbulb RK3399 Linux rtl8822cu module bluetooth not working shivarj89 0 1,315 07-29-2021, 07:19 AM
Last Post: shivarj89
  Armbian/Ubuntu for Rockbox Wizzard 5 4,179 05-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Last Post: Wizzard
  Debian build from mrfixit2001 Luke 18 26,584 05-17-2021, 02:35 AM
Last Post: Wizzard
  Debian kernel stuck at 4.4.167 Enig123 5 5,483 12-29-2020, 12:57 PM
Last Post: kwinz
  How can I update from Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20? gedas07 3 4,011 10-04-2020, 10:02 PM
Last Post: tomarm