Tool to Control Fan - fanctl
Hello Guys,
v0.1.3 is Out,

Enjoy! Smile

romtorwator

RockChip says max is 80, in the Data-sheet.
But is also says, that some other configurations could be done, with different thermal schemes..
I decided for the best, to limit it to 70C, in working condition.

It would do some harm to a processor working continuously above 70C..its life will be reduced.

rookieone

Thanks!Smile

RockChip says that 80 should be max, but it depends on the working condition, there are many variables there..
In a permanent environment 80C, would be crazy, I think it would degrade your CPU life, but I am not sure..

No, 45C is ok, mine runs at 57C-58C, full throttle for more than a month, in testing.. Smile
What a beast!

I brought yesterday a new Fan( to adapt ),
I think I will drop some 2-3 degrees, at least I hope to.. Smile

amator_1

You welcome, thanks!
You could do a lot of things,
But for Other things better to do it in another tool, separately, so that it dosn't mess with Active Thermal settings.
I'm not a software guy and new to SBC s and Linux.
So if anyone can write script to drive external hdd , power, network, , act LED s,
for a casing would be gratefull.
Hello All,
v0.1.4 is out.

This Release, drops the fork/execs to sleep function , and implement them natively.
In this Way its more efective when polling to check temps/fan.

Regards,
I would have the PWM range from +35C to +55C, stop FAN < +35C, max PWM from > +55C
decrease in frequency of MCU with +62С, Shutdown > +72C
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
my SOHO NAS RockPro64 4GB v2.1 / eMMC 32GB / PCIe -> 4*SATA Marvell 88SE9235 / SD-card 64 GB / NAS Casing / image Debian Stretch Minimal / Kernel 4.4.xxx ayufan
my Multimedia desktops: ASUS H310T G5500, ODROIDs -XU4, -XU3, -C2, -C1;
my trash BananaPi; RPi B, B+; ODROID-W
Sad 
(09-13-2018, 06:57 PM)romtorwator Wrote: I would have the PWM range from +35C to +55C, stop FAN < +35C, max PWM from > +55C
decrease in frequency of MCU with +62С, Shutdown > +72C

Hello,
I don't know if all Active configurations could drop temps to 35, without at least 90% plus duty cycle Sad
It would be good to know, what temps and pwn, and also the mechanical trembling people, are observing...[Image: sad.png]

In that way, we could make some assumptions, and better tune the pwn response [Image: wink.png]

Thanks for your proposal,
  • It is starting now at 39C( I will ask in another thread what temps collers/fans, mechanical trembling ) people are observing...
    The Idea of 100% Duty Cycle, at 55C or 56C, seems very good, indeed.I will do some checks, and if ok, will be in next release Wink
  • The Underclock,
    I had it until v0.1.3, but then someone asked if I could drop it.I think it would be very good to be there,Because those, that put there a inferior thermal solution,or when fan breaks,Would still be able to run more heavy loads, for longer periods of time, when lowering the Clocks( the temps goes down Abruptly, and still clocks could be little.big -1.2Ghz . 1.6Ghz ).
Your suggestions and others are appreciated Wink
I do not yet have this board, I ordered and I wait for my next arrival in the middle of September …
at the moment, I use as a NAS/MySQL/Apache server the ODROID-XU4 (chip Samsung Exynos 5422),
its temperature regime is approximately the same, on it I start the fan with +35С,
DRIVER=="odroid-fan", ACTION=="add", ATTR{fan_speeds}="1 15 70 99", ATTR{temp_levels}="35 45 50"
1% PWM Duty < +35C (STOP), 15% PWM Duty > +35C, 70% PWM Duty > +45C, 99% PWM Duty > +50C
and the temperature does not rise above +50°C

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
my SOHO NAS RockPro64 4GB v2.1 / eMMC 32GB / PCIe -> 4*SATA Marvell 88SE9235 / SD-card 64 GB / NAS Casing / image Debian Stretch Minimal / Kernel 4.4.xxx ayufan
wat am i doing wrong?
this is wat i get
:~# systemctl status fanctl
● fanctl.service - Active Thermal Fan Service
Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/fanctl.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2018-09-15 22:10:16 CEST; 1s ago
Process: 1847 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/fanctl (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 1847 (code=exited, status=127)
Can anyone help
(09-15-2018, 02:13 PM)amator_1 Wrote: wat am i doing wrong?
this is wat i get
:~# systemctl status fanctl                                                                                                  
● fanctl.service - Active Thermal Fan Service                                                                                            
  Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/fanctl.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)                                                  
  Active: activating (auto-restart) (Result: exit-code) since Sat 2018-09-15 22:10:16 CEST; 1s ago                                      
 Process: 1847 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/fanctl (code=exited, status=127)
Main PID: 1847 (code=exited, status=127)            
Can anyone help

Hello amator_1,

Can you post the result of these 4 commands?
Code:
ls -l /sys/class/{thermal/thermal_zone{0,1}/temp,hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1}

ls -l /usr/bin/lua

ls -l /usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/lua/5.3/sleep.so

ls -l /usr/sbin/fanctl

regards
I finally got the board, established an image Debian Minimal aarch64,
It does not have a value "pwm1"
updated the kernel 4.4.132-1083-rockchip-ayufan-gfd3f12ca5fae
everything appeared, I installed your program:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(09-19-2018, 10:42 AM)romtorwator Wrote: I finally got the board, established an image Debian Minimal aarch64,
It does not have a value "pwm1"
updated the kernel 4.4.132-1083-rockchip-ayufan-gfd3f12ca5fae
everything appeared, I installed your program:

Very Nice, finally you got it!! Shy
Its a very nice board, congratz

Yes in the first release, the Hardware for the Pwm Control, were not exported vis SysFs,
Only  after Kernel Update..

I also installed cpufrequtils, and put the Governor ondemand.
The cores are treated as 2 clusters big.litle

When you change one core you change for all cluster.
ie:
cpu-freq-set -c 0 -g ondemand
Sets de governor 'Ondemand', for cores 0,1,2,3

cpu-freq-set -c 4 -g ondemand

Sets de governor 'Ondemand', for cores 4,5

But I only suggest to activate ondemand,
If you have a Heatsink and a Fan for it( If you push it up, like me ).

The test I have done, to check temps and fan, was with a cpu miner, m-cpuminer-V2
For more than a month, full load on the 6 threads, the board is very nice.

What are your temps?and pwm?
cat /sys/class/{thermal/thermal_zone{0,1}/temp,hwmon/hwmon0/pwm1}

Regards

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PWM Fan Control Python Script superbox 0 1,312 02-04-2022, 10:02 PM
Last Post: superbox