HELP I want install a desktop but I don't Know how can I do
Hello
I'm very newbie with linux
i installed ubuntu xenial minimal without desktop in my rock 64.
And Now i want to install a LXQT desktop

I DO: sudo apt-get  update
sudo apt-get install xorg
sudo apt-get install LXQT
sudo reboot

but when I reboot dont start the desktop . What can I do bad?
Please any can help me

Thanks a lot
i think you want to go to
/usr/local/sbin and look for the install destop script
cd /usr/local/sbin
sudo install_desktop.sh * [* being the desktop to install]
actually i'm drawing this from memory , cause i use armbian , and it may need some correction.
On the command line just try 'startx' and that should start the xorg and get you a desktop
Thanks , if i installed gnome then works perfect , i think without startx,
But i think that is too slow desktop for rock64
But when i installed gnome i can choose desktop
But i want only install one desktop like lxde or lxqt
If i write startx doesn’t start there are a error
Now i try the script install_desktop In a new installation that i don’t know that exist
Another solution?
I try with new instalation
after startx

Code:
rock64@rock64:~$ startx

X.Org X Server 1.19.2
Release Date: 2017-03-02
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-4-arm64 aarch64 Debian
Current Operating System: Linux rock64 4.4.132-1075-rockchip-ayufan-ga83beded8524 #1 SMP Thu Jul 26 08:22:22 UTC 2018 aarch64
Kernel command line: earlycon=uart8250,mmio32,0xff130000 rw panic=10 init=/sbin/init coherent_pool=1M ethaddr=ea:ef:71:dc:0e:38 eth1addr=ea:ef:71:dc:0e:58 serial=31c7919ddff3362 cgroup_enable=cpuset cgroup_memory=1 cgroup_enable=memory swapaccount=1 root=LABEL=linux-root rootwait rootfstype=ext4
Build Date: 16 October 2017  08:11:43AM
xorg-server 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u2 (https://www.debian.org/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
    Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
    to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
    (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
    (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/home/rock64/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Sat Jul 21 21:33:44 2018
(==) Using config directory: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
(EE) armsoc: module ABI major version (20) doesn't match the server's version (23)
(EE)
Fatal server error:
(EE) no screens found(EE)
(EE)
Please consult the The X.Org Foundation support
     at http://wiki.x.org
for help.
(EE) Please also check the log file at "/home/rock64/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log" for additional information.
(EE)
(EE) Server terminated with error (1). Closing log file.
xinit: giving up
xinit: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
xinit: server error
and if i do
sudo /usr/local/sbin/install_desktop.sh     
the answer is :       Usage: /usr/local/sbin/install_desktop.sh <mate|i3|gnome|xfce4|lxde>

and then i wrote
sudo /usr/local/sbin/install_desktop.sh lxde
and the answer
Unpacking libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0:arm64 (1.6-1ayufan7) ...
dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0_1.6-1ayufan7_arm64.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite '/usr/lib/aarch64-linux-gnu/libEGL.so.1', which is also in package libegl1-mesa:arm64 13.0.6-1+b2
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0_1.6-1ayufan7_arm64.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Any idea?
You have to purge 'libegl1-mesa' and all it's dependencies, then you can properly run the script.
'libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0' contains the proprietary drivers for proper 3D acceleration.

-- EDIT --
I think it's easier for you to re-flash the image on your drive and install a desktop environment trough the 'install_desktop.sh' script. Pass your favourite DE as argument.
Also use one of the ayufan's Bionic 0.7.9 build. Ther's one with LXDE + media player with HW acceleration preinstalled. Or if you want to start from scratch, take the minimal build and run the script above.

You can find the builds here: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases
(08-28-2018, 07:19 AM)grpeople Wrote: You have to purge 'libegl1-mesa' and all it's dependencies, then you can properly run the script.
'libmali-rk-utgard-450-r7p0' contains the proprietary drivers for proper 3D acceleration.

-- EDIT --
I think it's easier for you to re-flash the image on your drive and install a desktop environment trough the 'install_desktop.sh' script. Pass your favourite DE as argument.
Also use one of the ayufan's Bionic 0.7.9 build. Ther's one with LXDE + media player with HW acceleration preinstalled. Or if you want to start from scratch, take the minimal build and run the script above.

You can find the builds here: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases

thanks ,
i try with the script install_desktop.sh with LXDE in the end of the comand , but i don't know if is correct. with a new minimal image of xenial
But don't works i have got the error of libmali

I installed perfect the version with desktop, But i want to learn new things . And i want to learn how can i install desktop in minimal versions

and for the last

I want a xenial image , because i want to put in this server, tvheadend, plex media server , oscam, udpxy, and i think that remember that oscam don't work in Bionic
(08-28-2018, 08:39 AM)gedas07 Wrote:
(08-28-2018, 07:19 AM)grpeople Wrote: You have to purge 'libegl1-mesa' and all it's dependencies, then you can properly run the script.

-- EDIT --

thanks ,
i try with the script install_desktop.sh with LXDE in the end of the comand , but i don't know if is correct. with a new minimal image of xenial
But don't works i have got the error of libmali

I installed perfect the version with desktop, But i want to learn new things . And i want to learn how can i install desktop in minimal versions

and for the last

I want a xenial image , because i want to put in this server, tvheadend, plex media server , oscam, udpxy, and i think that remember that oscam don't work in Bionic

Why not dockerize all those servers and use any base OS you like more? as i see you need some media services maybe libreelec fits as a base "OS"...dockerizing stuff you can use any base including any of the ayufan (headless or not) or armbian...
Sources:
https://hub.docker.com/r/lsioarmhf/tvheadend-aarch64/
https://hub.docker.com/r/hassioaddons/plex-aarch64/
https://hub.docker.com/r/forumi0721alpin...h64-udpxy/
https://github.com/linuxserver/docker-oscam-armhf
the one for oscam im not 100% sure it will work on the rock64, but afaik its not hard to compile on a new architecture...docker nowadays give you a LOT of flexibility...just a suggestion...

I see also that there is plex, tvheadend and oscam addons for kodi, you can also try the librelec rock64 image from 
https://test.libreelec.tv/
its in alpha but the last time i tested it it was stable with only some video artifacts/glitches...
Thanks for your answer.
But , sorry i don’t know how is dockers?
I’m learning Linux
And oscam works correctly and perfect with Xenia
But don’t works with bionic
And i prefer debian or ubuntu then libreelec
I have four raspberry with OSMC (libreeelec)
And one Pc with oscam, tvheadend etc with debían
And want prepare rock64 for substitute the Pc
Ah in debían i don’t know how can install tvheadend , i have a post with my problems
(08-28-2018, 10:02 AM)gedas07 Wrote: Thanks for your answer.
But , sorry i don’t know how is dockers?
I’m learning Linux
And oscam works correctly and perfect with Xenia
But don’t works with bionic
And i prefer debian or ubuntu then libreelec
I have four raspberry with OSMC (libreeelec)
And one Pc with oscam, tvheadend etc with debían
And want prepare rock64 for substitute the Pc
Ah in debían i don’t know how can install tvheadend , i have a post with my problems

As you are willing to learn new things i strongly suggest to read how docker works, imo its perfect for newbies like you and me, to give you a basic idea of what docker do its a light virtualization interface, basically you have a trimmed down OS wrapped on every docker, this removes the hassle of installing dependencies and incompatibilityes when setting up so basically you simply install docker and then with a simple command the docker server downloads your image of choice (remember that the image includes a trimmed down os and all dependencies and your application of choice (this all sounds cumbersome but its a trimmed down OS, usually taking about 50-100mb of disk space and even less on memory)) and with another command you both run it and its allready set up as a service runing on every boot (if you want it to) so basically:
command one - install docker (you run this once per OS install)
command two - download the correct docker image for your architecture (aarch64 for rock64, some armhf also work fine)
command three- run the docker image and set it up as service if needed or start/stop it manually when needed
repeat 2 and 3 with new servers
the biggest advantage ive found when using docker is that it is super newbie friendly, you dont need complex setup, no txt editing, no dependencies problems, just 2 commands and the server you need is runing and you dont need to learn a different install method for each server, just a few basic docker commands for any of them...
And you can also learn it to use it on your osmc setups or over raspbian or over allmost all dev boards on the market nowadays...
Taking as example your tvheadend problem, there is a specific image for aarch64 (the exact one you need for the rock64) here, check the usage section, thats basically all you need to "install" the image, after that you simply do a "docker start nameoftheimage"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,965 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  Managed to install Kubernetes digitaldaz 3 4,199 08-16-2022, 02:44 AM
Last Post: mmarkgilbert
  How Can Install Unify controller in rock64? gedas07 0 1,803 03-23-2020, 08:41 AM
Last Post: gedas07
  Remote desktop access Rock64 over Internet hg6806 2 3,875 12-11-2019, 08:27 PM
Last Post: default_user8
  Release 0.9.14 Ubuntu Mate desktop, LXDE, OMV, Docker CE (container) Luke 1 3,995 09-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Last Post: Malmgren
Information New Builds from ayufan (0.8.X) w Video/3D/Mate desktop Luke 37 52,251 09-09-2019, 04:01 AM
Last Post: ayufan
  Can Anyone help me install Wine latest on Rock64 Rock90 1 3,041 08-10-2019, 06:18 AM
Last Post: OnyxxOr
  How fast is rock64 if a desktop? heocb 11 14,863 04-21-2019, 09:14 PM
Last Post: a1w.ca
  apt --fix-broken install KC7NOA 1 2,693 10-29-2018, 09:17 PM
Last Post: KC7NOA
  rtl8812au driver install.. 11b2p508 11 16,061 05-20-2018, 01:36 AM
Last Post: brajul