A user's guide (manual) is really needed; the wiki page isn't enough
(08-19-2018, 12:54 AM)lucho Wrote: You're welcome! Smile
ditto
(08-19-2018, 12:54 AM)lucho Wrote: Yes, I agree that a general thread devoted to the wiki in the "General" section of the forum is a good idea. But regarding the board-specific information for the RockPro64, I'd prefer that we continue the discussion here, at this thread.
Agree, and agree.

I am struggling with the NOOB wiki page and feel it is the same problem: on the one hand having a single page that references all Pine products is "nice". On the other it needs to cater for too many exceptions - Allwinner, Pine64 installer, 2A/3A/5A power supplies etc. I read the NOOB page at least 3 times while my Rockpro64 was in the post and was unable to decipher my path - I have been using arm SBC as my only PC for over 2 years (RPi 3, VIM2) so figure I am not too dumb!

As the NOOB page didnt help me, and in line with lucho OP, I figure we do need a ROCKPro64 specific "get it going" section: I have scoured the NOOB page again but cannot see a way to make ROCKPro64-specific info easily available. Because there is a lot of info to try cover for NOOBs (have they got eMMC, WifI card, NVMe etc etc) think we need a NOOB page for each model rather than trying to update the single existing. Or adding more to the main ROCKPro64 page.

Other thoughts/ideas for this welcome though.
(08-19-2018, 12:54 AM)lucho Wrote: Re: my SW4 table – I will then add it, if there are no objections, as the current information is not exhaustive (thorough). It doesn't, for example, answer the question what happens if both the microSD card and the eMMC module are installed, but the jumper is not. It just won't boot when power is applied.
No - it will boot from the eMMC. (Double checked this morning on my system and amended the wiki!)
(08-19-2018, 12:54 AM)lucho Wrote: And by the way, I haven't yet explained to myself the "jumper removal after power on" trick. How exactly does it work? Because of what? Can someone explain it in details? (I mean the internal mechanism due to which it works, not its usage, which has already been discussed.)
My reading of the schematic indicates this removes or shorts the eMMC clock. So if you have a bootable SDcard in place (and leave the jumper on) 111 effectively becomes 100 (as per your table) as there is no effective eMMC present. So u-boot can only find a bootable image on the SDcard and proceeds with that for an initrd etc.

The limitation of this is you cannot work on the eMMC at all after boot - /dev/mmcblk1 has not been initialised in the kernel. There are in fact 2 ways to work around this:
1) Remove the jumper before the white LED comes on. The means that rootfs has not yet been mounted - when it does mount it can see and enumerate the eMMC. (But as u-boot identified the SDcard in the first place all boot/kernel stuff comes from the SDcard.)
2) After boot completes and you get a command prompt you can also remove the jumper, and then run /usr/local/sbin
/rockpro64_reset_emmc.sh which will trigger initialisation of /dev/mmcblk1. Havent tested this myself.
(I needed this get out when I corrupted the eMMC enough so it would not boot. But not enough so that it still said to u-boot it had an image!)
  • ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, 16Gb eMMC for rootfs, SX8200Pro 512GB NVMe for /home, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse. Arch (6.2 kernel, Openbox desktop) for general purpose daily PC.
  • PinePhone Pro Explorer Edition, daily driver, rk2aw & U-boot on SPI, Arch/SXMO & Arch/phosh on eMMC
  • PinePhone BraveHeart now v1.2b 3/32Gb, Tow-boot with Arch/SXMO on eMMC

Messages In This Thread
RE: A user's guide (manual) is really needed; the wiki page isn't enough - by dukla2000 - 08-20-2018, 08:04 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Advise needed, which OS / applications to use? hemertje 7 7,643 12-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Last Post: hemertje
  OpenWRT installation guide for RockPro64 Summer 1 3,957 07-16-2020, 01:50 AM
Last Post: mocara
  Is there a guide to using the PADI-Server serial console adapter? Tim Jones 1 2,649 11-04-2019, 01:25 PM
Last Post: xalius
  What's up with the Rockchip Open Source Wiki and main site? Tigger 4 4,743 08-15-2018, 12:28 PM
Last Post: Tigger
  ROCKPro64 wiki main page tllim 2 4,967 05-11-2018, 11:21 AM
Last Post: tllim