Dual SATA-II Interface Card question and NAS question
newbie setup and usage questions. thanks humbly for assistance and guidance!

1)  Do I use "ROCKPro64 Power Cable for dual SATA Drives" to connect disk to "ROCKPro64 PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card"?

2) I assume the RockPro64 can only use qty 1 "ROCKPro64 PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card"? or can I use 2 cards instead of using 1 "NVMe SSD Interface Card"?
I have several sata III ssd drives new

3) Can I load OpenmediaVault and use as NAS (as well as use as a workstation) at the same time?
  I would use office software (word, spreadsheet, email, browser}

Or does openmediavault/nas require full system attention?

Thanks!
Hi,

1) You use the ROCKPro64 Power Cable for dual SATA Drives to power the drives but this connects to the 4 pin power connector located just behind the +12V @3A/5A with 5.5mm/2.1mm Type M Barrel type DC connector on the ROCKPro64 itself.

2) One slot for one card.

3) This depends on the level of usage for your NAS by it's clients. If your running in NAS at home then I would suggest there is more than enough spare resource to run a desktop and LibreOffice on a 4GB ROCKPro64. I've not ever tried installing a desktop environment on top of OMV but it should be do-able. I think someone on here must have tried this before.
It is possible to install desktop on-top of OMV, but I'd suggest sticking using desktop via RDP, which can be installed via a plugin. Otherwise, you could just get a base-image of the one that comes with LXDE, and set up all shares and services manually.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-16-2018, 04:31 AM)Luke Wrote: It is possible to install desktop on-top of OMV, but I'd suggest sticking using desktop via RDP, which can be installed via a plugin. Otherwise, you could just get a base-image of the one that comes with LXDE, and set up all shares and services manually.

Sir Luke,
Thank you sincerely for the quick reply!  However, I am a newbie to this all so your message is almost another language.  Let me try and guess what you are saying in reply.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

It is possible to install the desktop on OpenMediaVault, but Id suggest sticking using desktop via..RDP<-?, which can be installed via plugin <-? (omv on emmc and desktop(via RDP?) on Mircro card?). 

I think I will get RockPro641 for OMV/NAS only.  2nd Rockport with DSI Card and attach 2 disk. Run raid/copy to 2nd drive. (2nd will be hobby business computer.  I don't want that on NAS. (unless you recommend I set aside 1 drive for copy away from base 2nd system.)

I need a video of plugging in all components to Rockpro64. lol

One last question.  when I load OMV. do I wipe the MicroSD from OS? or leave it? I was going to write OMV to EMMC.   thx, alton
So, OMV is mostly just a WebGUI admin system. It does a bit more than that, but the important bit is that it makes it easy for a beginner (and not only...) to set up all the services you want or need (including RAID, which you mentioned). RDP is remote desktop which you can access from your computer, phone, tablet.,etc. You can also copy files over to it and back from the computer easily if you have your home folder shared.
For example, in the linked picture below I copied over the aosc.png over from my computer to the RockPro64 and it showed up on the DRP desktop.
Just so you realize, DRP isn't as fast (nowhere close) as having the RockPro64 plugged into the HDMI directly - but its much more convenient. Obviously it also depends what you want to do on the desktop.

The other option you have is to set up the LXDE image (a type of desktop - there are many others available for Linux) and from there create the shares, and install the services you need. Since you are a beginner you may find this more difficult than using OMV - but it will be a learning experience.

As for other questions, frewind answered them. Regarding the SD/ eMMC, when you flash an OS image to any bootable medium it gets wiped; not sure if I understand your question.

Picture of RDP desktop accessed on my stationary computer:
[Image: 82uo1tf.jpg]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-16-2018, 10:28 AM)RockPro64Newbie  Thanks! Wrote:
(08-16-2018, 04:31 AM)Luke Wrote: It is possible to install desktop on-top of OMV, but I'd suggest sticking using desktop via RDP, which can be installed via a plugin. Otherwise, you could just get a base-image of the one that comes with LXDE, and set up all shares and services manually.

Sir Luke,
Thank you sincerely for the quick reply!  However, I am a newbie to this all so your message is almost another language.  Let me try and guess what you are saying in reply.  Correct me if I am wrong please.

It is possible to install the desktop on OpenMediaVault, but Id suggest sticking using desktop via..RDP<-?, which can be installed via plugin <-? (omv on emmc and desktop(via RDP?) on Mircro card?). 

I think I will get RockPro641 for OMV/NAS only.  2nd Rockport with DSI Card and attach 2 disk. Run raid/copy to 2nd drive. (2nd will be hobby business computer.  I don't want that on NAS. (unless you recommend I set aside 1 drive for copy away from base 2nd system.)

I need a video of plugging in all components to Rockpro64. lol

One last question.  when I load OMV. do I wipe the MicroSD from OS? or leave it? I was going to write OMV to EMMC.   thx, alton
Thanks! makes sense.
I watched YouTube video from explainingcomputers on hc1 hc2 nas  OMV.  I watched him load OMV and use Etcher.
I noticed though when he booted he looked for the IP address WHILE DATA WAS SCROLLING (REMINDED ME OF DOS SCREEN) as it was needed later but also there was msg below asking for login.  his next screen shot was from his PC window showing OMV.  question I had on that was. do you ignore that login? and omv still boots up?  I sent him that question. no reply yet.

Now I WENT AND READ ALL MATERIAL but unclear on the PCI board notice.  that for the M2 board only? or is the pcie sata drive board affected also?

should I wait to purchase?  I need to get it now and up and running for limited time. but I don't think I can make changes myself to resolve that issue if it still exist on items shipping and the pcie sata drive board.  if code can fix.  I will use usb3 and usbc ports for 2 disk temporarily. thehn update software later and plug in sata ssd pcie board later.

if board the issue then I will not order board for now.  use rockpro64 as a workstation only for a while.  I am starting new business (small) in 3-4 weeks.

Gotta have something running even if I have to install OMV later and order pci board later.   I wouldl need video showing me what to do to resolve the issue. I don't understand the documents.  but detailed on following a video for sure.  (now I am spazzed) lol   jk

THanks both of you!  my last comments - pertains to this video   https://youtu.be/gT-EGNl9bZA   ROCK64 OpenMediaVault NAS  at 7:35 in the video.

Watch all up to that point.  you will see what I mean.  I am sure you have worked with OMV before and can answer iff I have to login at that point. and with what password/if a default one.

sorry for earlier confusion. sincerely

you both answered my first 3 questions well..

and of course the pcie board issue if it affects the sata sssd card;slot or just m2 pcie card.  I will need a video showing how to fix that some how from someone. lol   I am a hands on watch learner.
(Scary to think I used to be responsible for 700 Corporate accounts and  over 160Million revenue...right?  but I did learn to code in rpgII and automated 7 jobs. lol)  God Bless you both!  Alton

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Another Fan Question backwoodstech2 1 263 02-03-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  Mainline U-Boot with SPI, NVMe and SATA boot support sigmaris 108 116,488 09-25-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: ChriChri
Information Question regarding odd startup behaviour Mff 0 1,123 12-03-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Mff
  PCIE interface power on too late Slark Xiao 0 958 11-29-2022, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Slark Xiao
  Sata HD stopped booting db579 2 2,073 03-11-2022, 03:34 PM
Last Post: db579
  wifi interface on debian mruser1 2 2,258 10-14-2021, 09:07 AM
Last Post: mruser1
  Dual Monitor Setup cmodernel004 3 6,269 03-08-2021, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Mangled
  Rockpro64 with PCI FC Card - Not booting (Sometimes) MSteam 1 2,868 10-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Last Post: MSteam
  fan continously runs on kernel 5.8 but I need to use 5. kernel for PCIe sata card GreyLinux 4 5,583 10-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  RockPro64 SSD Expansion Board/SATA Shield as0zial 5 7,474 10-18-2020, 08:05 PM
Last Post: revoman