ANNOUNCING *BETA* RELEASE OF RECALBOX FOR THE ROCK64
(08-05-2018, 03:34 PM)Luke Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 03:23 PM)pascal06n Wrote: I've a probem with the beta.

With Recalbox I don't see anything on the screen. I used a HDMI > DVI cable. The monitor is not detecting any signal.
(I confirm the HDMI > DVI works fine : I used other linux version).
I can access recalbox web interface, ssh is working fine as well.

I've tried with several settings in recalbox-conf :
global.videomode=CEA 1 HDMI
or
global.videomode=DMT 35 HDMI

I've also created a config.txt in /boot
With these settings :

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
config_hdmi_boost=4
hdmi_group=1
hdmi_drive=1
hdmi_mode=4

not better...

But I've tried several setting on the web interface and I've noticed something really weird : if I start by default on Kodi I see Kodi (display is working fine). But if I let recalbox starting (or if I go back from odi to recalbox)... it doesn't work.  I've tried with other linux img such as debian, lakka, I don't have the same problem...

Any idea ?

Try removing:
Code:
video=HDMI-A-1:1920x1080@60

in /BOOT/extlinux/extlinux.conf

See if that will work. Whats the native res of the monitor ?

Hi Luke,

The native resolution of the screen is 1280x1024.
(LG 1905 flatron 1950 B)

It works fine when I remove the parameter you told me about in extlinux. Smile

Thank you to Mrfixit2001 and you for this great work !

Best regards,
Hey Pascal,
Glad it worked, but don't get too used to the image - a Beta V2 will be pushed later today with few fixes, including a resolution fix in RA.
Cheers
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-06-2018, 05:41 AM)Luke Wrote: Hey Pascal,
Glad it worked, but don't get too used to the image - a Beta V2 will be pushed later today with few fixes, including a resolution fix in RA.
Cheers
Excellent, I am excited to see how far we can push this unit Smile.
UPDATE August 6, 2018 - Beta V2 Update Release

· Updated KODI Leia Commit
· Retroarch Emulators Maximum Resolution set to 720p - runs much faster and the difference visibly in higher resolutions is hardly noticeable
· Back-end updates to increase compatibility with core-recalbox software
· Default config for PPSSPP to enable a small frameskip - often achieves up to 80% of original game speeds - much more playable (but not perfect)
· Increased EmulationStation stability - fewer unexpected restarts!
(08-05-2018, 10:12 PM)Brainy142 Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 03:11 PM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 02:17 PM)Brainy142 Wrote: I noticed that games are still trying to run in 4k 30fps rather than 1080p. I'll try to SSH and confirm if the settings are correct. the recalbox OS runs normally, however, when retroarch runs it switches to 4k output. I can confirm the setting is set to the default value of 1080p.

On the plus side, Kodi seems to work well for videos up to 1080p as well, hdr10 works perfectly. I notice that 4k playback does not work well (likely will improve with drivers) as well, audio pass-through is intermittent in Kodi.

Other than that. it definitely feels faster than my RPI3 on loading and general interface browsing.

First, it's so great that you're providing feedback already! Thank you!!

Same as Luke, I too am quite interested in more details on this. The resolution outside of KODI has been locked at 1080p in all our testing. Can you please confirm what resolution (Xres x Yres) you're seeing retroarch change to, and specifically what emulator, core, and Rom you're testing?

I'm also interested in more detail on your 4k performance concern. Big Buck Bunny and LG HDR test vids both perform great in all our testing. So what are you testing with? What are you seeing the CPU % at? Are you playing off local media or over your network? (It's possible you'd experience a lag over network depending on file size). And are you doing anything else on the board at the same time, like transferring files or anything?

Once again, thanks for the feedback! The more detail the better!

Good evening, 

All emulators that I have tested (GBA, SNES, and NES) are trying to run at native 4k resolution, which also, due to hardware limitations, runs as 30fps which is my main concern. I can provide a screenshot tomorrow to confirm this if you would like.  

The 4k file in question is a 4k raw rip of black panther, no other operations were running at the same time. I will attempt to grab more information tomorrow on cpu usage. I also noticed that running the web interface does seem to eat up a core of processing. The file was running off of my Nas on a wired connection, using UPNP to send the file. It is possible it could be due to the size of the file. I will see if I can try a less complex 4k UHD file and report back.

For 4K movie which is 24 frames per second, better set the video output to 4Kp24 for smooth video playback.
Shame on me I haven't had time to test it yet... 

Ok guys, I had time tonight to check it out, not extensively, however these are my insights. Before to start let me say that all my romsets worked fine with the alpha as well as my gamepads.

GBA: OK (just a random crash with reboot)
MD/GENESIS: OK
NEO GEO: Audio working but not video
PCE: OK
PSX: OK
SNES: OK

My wireless gamepad, which seems to be fully recognized as xiaoji Gamesir-G3s 2.10, still continues to have the same issues like the first beta candidate, the issues are:

1. Frequently disconnected, you have to physically disconnect and reconnect the dongle;
2. The dpad and analogic pad and all the buttons seems like accelerated, the former jump 3/4 lines in the Retroarch and buttons seem like pressed with an autofire.

I have not idea if I can recalibrate the pad or doing something else but with the first alpha it worked like a charm.

Attached Files
.log   recalbox.log (Size: 14.6 KB / Downloads: 414)
.log   init.log (Size: 7.72 KB / Downloads: 400)
.log   es.log (Size: 46.86 KB / Downloads: 413)
(08-08-2018, 03:37 PM)Danielsan Wrote: Shame on me I haven't had time to test it yet... 

Ok guys, I had time tonight to check it out, not extensively, however these are my insights. Before to start let me say that all my romsets worked fine with the alpha as well as my gamepads.

GBA: OK (just a random crash with reboot)
MD/GENESIS: OK
NEO GEO: Audio working but not video
PCE: OK
PSX: OK
SNES: OK

My wireless gamepad, which seems to be fully recognized as xiaoji Gamesir-G3s 2.10, still continues to have the same issues like the first beta candidate, the issues are:

1. Frequently disconnected, you have to physically disconnect and reconnect the dongle;
2. The dpad and analogic pad and all the buttons seems like accelerated, the former jump 3/4 lines in the Retroarch and buttons seem like pressed with an autofire.

I have not idea if I can recalibrate the pad or doing something else but with the first alpha it worked like a charm.

Thanks for taking the time to test!
There is an issue with remapping some controllers - yours seems to be one of the affected ones. You can remap it in the config and RA config manually via ssh. See if that solves it for you.

As for NeoGeo I have the same problem you reported - I suggest using FBA for NeoGeo ROMs for now, it works perfectly. As a side-note, this is a strange issue because the same core is used for NeoGeo AND FBA - and in FBA NeoGeo ROMs run without an issue.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(08-09-2018, 02:26 AM)Luke Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to test!
There is an issue with remapping some controllers - yours seems to be one of the affected ones. You can remap it in the config and RA config manually via ssh. See if that solves it for you.

Hi Luke I remapped the wireless gamepad through the Recalbox config setup and it didn't work properly, but I did not understand what is RA config, please could you advise? Thanks! Big Grin
(08-09-2018, 08:33 AM)Danielsan Wrote:
(08-09-2018, 02:26 AM)Luke Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to test!

Hi Luke I remapped the wireless gamepad through the Recalbox config setup and it didn't work properly, but I did not understand what is RA config, please could you advise? Thanks! Big Grin

RA is retroarch. The current bug affects how emulationstation learns triggers and passes them to retroarch as button mappings. We don't think it's limited to just the rock64, just FYI, and it is only for some controllers (who have their triggers pressure sensitive). 
A possible workaround is to not remap the controller in emulationstation, instead after you start the rom enter the retroarch menu and change the input mappings from that menu instead.
(08-09-2018, 05:26 PM)Mrfixit2001 Wrote: RA is retroarch. The current bug affects how emulationstation learns triggers and passes them to retroarch as button mappings. We don't think it's limited to just the rock64, just FYI, and it is only for some controllers (who have their triggers pressure sensitive). 
A possible workaround is to not remap the controller in emulationstation, instead after you start the rom enter the retroarch menu and change the input mappings from that menu instead.

Oh my, what a dumb... Big Grin 

Now I understood and I'll try it, however my wireless gamepad worked fine with the Alpha release...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 51 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,237 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 243 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 511 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 511 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,962 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,429 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 510 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 564 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,731 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7