Wow, my Rock64 built Firefox 61.0.2
Photo 
In 9 hours 34 minutes.  Several sites I visit whine about my browser version using what's in the debs, Badoo refuses to work at all.  So I've tried a few times to build current Firefox.  This was done from an hg bundle because it was the only thing I could pull through intact enough to work.  It's about 1.5 GB of source code, the build directory at the end is 5.9 GB.  This is a 4 GB Rock64 with a 6 GB swapfile.

Rust and LLVM/Clang I had to build from sources because the deb versions were too old (rustup update will work for Rust), everything else is from the debs.  LLVM documentation has a lot of old cruft in it.  But unxz and untar both llvm and cfe (clang).  Then inside the llvm dir make a tools/clang dir and move the contents of the clang tarball into it (skip the outer level directory).  That way building and installing llvm will also do clang.  You have to use cmake, not the configure script, so do mkdir build and cd into that, then "cmake ..".  Edit your new CMKakeCache.txt and put in TOP_LEVEL_DIR=/usr/local/llvm (or wherever you want LLVM installed) then run "cmake .." again.  Now run make and make install.  I'm just doing it over  again on a Pi [that didn't work].

There's a list of requirements, I kept working through that and tracking things down from error messages.  There's a bootstrap.py in there somewhere, that helped a little but in the end ./mach build ran straight through.  I started with a tarball, I forget why that didn't work.  Then I tried to use git, but that only works on perfect networks, so I did the bundle.   All the attempts helped me get the requirements right.  I grabbed from https://hg.cdn.mozilla.net/ using the releases/mozilla-release at the bottom.  I mostly followed https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs...al/Bundles but I didn't do mozilla-central (this time).

Wow indeed! That's a lot of dedication.

I wonder if it would have built faster had you decreased the amount of concurrency. That load average means your CPU was working harder than it could and you likely lost some performance because of that.

My longest build on here was compiling Mixxx 2.1 from scratch, that took 90 minutes with gcc/make -j 3 with all source files in a 3GB tmpfs:

tmpfs on /tmpfs type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,noatime,size=3215660k)

@ab1jx good job!
I consider under 10 hours quite acceptable, especially considering I don't plan to do it more than once a year or so.  It's not unlike building a kernel.  1.5 GB of source to compile.

I've tried maybe 6 times to do this on a Raspberry Pi 3B, with both Raspbian and 64 bit Debian, I've probably given up, maybe I'll try it again.  The Mozilla docs recommend 10 GB of RAM and of course a Pi only has 1.  I've had it build for something over 2 days then fail in the end.  I've tried swap files on the main SD as well as on an SD plugged into a USB reader.  I'm not sure you can change the concurrency, it's pretty aggressive already.  While it's building if you click something you wait a few seconds for a response.  Cross-compiling on a Rock to be run on a Pi would probably be my next approach.  So far my Pis are much more stable then the Rock, but the Rock's improving.  Firefox pretty much wants current LLVM/clang and Rust, so you have to build those first, my last Pi attempt died somewhere in the LLVM build.  No, it built LLVM but didn't pick up Clang and build that at the same time like it did on the Rock.  make install couldn't find clang to install it because it didn't get built, AFAIK I did it the same as on the Rock: I made a tools/clang dir and copied the clang source tree into it.
And now 2 months later it's been up and running for 35 days.  I guess it's stable enough to suit my purposes.  Ayufan image with standard updates and upgrades 4.4.132-1083.  It's just been sitting here cpumining Litecoin as a burn-in test.  Maybe I'll give away one of my Raspberry Pis and buy a ROCKPro64.  Haven't been on here complaining in forever, everything's running fine. Or maybe I'll get a Pinebook.
(10-21-2018, 02:41 PM)ab1jx Wrote: And now 2 months later it's been up and running for 35 days.  I guess it's stable enough to suit my purposes.  Ayufan image with standard updates and upgrades 4.4.132-1083.  It's just been sitting here cpumining Litecoin as a burn-in test.  Maybe I'll give away one of my Raspberry Pis and buy a ROCKPro64.  Haven't been on here complaining in forever, everything's running fine.  Or maybe I'll get a Pinebook.

Glad that your ROCK64 runs well Smile
My ROCK64 has also been rock solid for almost one year now. I wish I could stick it into a laptop case for a mobile version. The Pinebook isn't quite the same, unfortunately.

I had high hopes for the original Nexdock (byo sbc) but now it all seems vapourware.
(10-23-2018, 06:27 PM)a1w.ca Wrote: My ROCK64 has also been rock solid for almost one year now. I wish I could stick it into a laptop case for a mobile version. The Pinebook isn't quite the same, unfortunately.

I had high hopes for the original Nexdock (byo sbc) but now it all seems vapourware.

I thinks you can using ROCK64 with Nexdock.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 55 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,238 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 245 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 513 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 515 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,974 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,539 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 513 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 567 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,768 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7