FRUSTRATED Owner Selling Pinebook 14" 16GB
I am seeking bids for my Pinebook 14", 16 GB eMMC with Netrunner.  The case, keyboard and screen are in very good condition, it has easy internet connection and is generally satisfactory (Netrunner is up to date with upgrades, too).  BUT it has just lost its headphone sound (speakers are disconnected BTW).  OK until yesterday when I used it all day.  After switching off for dinner, no sound on resuming  in the evening.  I have removed and replaced alsa, alsamixer, and associated programs; checked all the settings over and over; no luck.  Annoyingly, looking at the waveform on Audacity (for example) I can see music playing, I just can't hear it!  Frustrating.

From previous experience with LINUX I know that these distros can lose bits of themselves if they shut down incorrectly.  The cure is to replace the distro with a fresh copy.  Easy enough except I have bought a number of micro SD cards and the Pinebook hates them all and ignores any alternative distro (or a fresh version of Netrunner).  If you are luckier than me and have got distros to load then you might be interested in this machine as a project.  (If you are not interested in the sound output, then this is just great for you!).

If you like to bid, please contact me on pjr@ukinbox.com.  Any offer over 50 pounds gets free post and packing.  Based in UK, if you are in the Great Yarmouth, Norfolk area I can demonstrate and deliver it.  Photos also available.

Thanks for reading this.

Please Note: Machine now withdrawn from sale.  I managed to load a fresh version of Netrunner  and this brought the sound back.  So I'll keep it a bit longer!  (I do like it when it behaves.)  BTW I managed to overcome the problem of not having a micro SD card the Pinebook would accept.  Removing the eMMC and then trying a boot from the card worked perfectly.  Might be an especially useful wheeze for trying a self contained 'running from the card' distro.  Haven't seen this idea mentioned before but it may have been so apologies if so.
The problem with sound in Netrunner is a known bug that occurs after first attempt to suspend.

You will see that it will happen again. That is why I only use Xenial Ubuntu and it works very well.
(07-17-2018, 02:25 AM)Wizzard Wrote: The problem with sound in Netrunner is a known bug that occurs after first attempt to suspend.

You will see that it will happen again. That is why I only use Xenial Ubuntu and it works very well.

Thank you.  Useful to know.  I hope that one day Core Plus (Tiny Core) may run.  There is an ARM version at present for Raspberry Pi (I think) so it is on the way.  Very light, if somewhat eccentric distro, great fun to use.
Wink 
(07-14-2018, 09:40 AM)peterauthor Wrote: ... BTW I managed to overcome the problem of not having a micro SD card the Pinebook would accept.  Removing the eMMC and then trying a boot from the card worked perfectly.  Might be an especially useful wheeze for trying a self contained 'running from the card' distro.  Haven't seen this idea mentioned before but it may have been so apologies if so.
Also works for my Rock 64 when all else fails.
(.. and I was about to send you a bid Smile
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2
(07-14-2018, 09:40 AM)peterauthor Wrote: I am seeking bids for my Pinebook 14", 16 GB eMMC with Netrunner.  The case, keyboard and screen are in very good condition, it has easy internet connection and is generally satisfactory (Netrunner is up to date with upgrades, too).  BUT it has just lost its headphone sound (speakers are disconnected BTW).  OK until yesterday when I used it all day.  After switching off for dinner, no sound on resuming  in the evening.  I have removed and replaced alsa, alsamixer, and associated programs; checked all the settings over and over; no luck.  Annoyingly, looking at the waveform on Audacity (for example) I can see music playing, I just can't hear it!  Frustrating.

From previous experience with LINUX I know that these distros can lose bits of themselves if they shut down incorrectly.  The cure is to replace the distro with a fresh copy.  Easy enough except I have bought a number of micro SD cards and the Pinebook hates them all and ignores any alternative distro (or a fresh version of Netrunner).  If you are luckier than me and have got distros to load then you might be interested in this machine as a project.  (If you are not interested in the sound output, then this is just great for you!).

If you like to bid, please contact me on pjr@ukinbox.com.  Any offer over 50 pounds gets free post and packing.  Based in UK, if you are in the Great Yarmouth, Norfolk area I can demonstrate and deliver it.  Photos also available.

Thanks for reading this.

Please Note: Machine now withdrawn from sale.  I managed to load a fresh version of Netrunner  and this brought the sound back.  So I'll keep it a bit longer!  (I do like it when it behaves.)  BTW I managed to overcome the problem of not having a micro SD card the Pinebook would accept.  Removing the eMMC and then trying a boot from the card worked perfectly.  Might be an especially useful wheeze for trying a self contained 'running from the card' distro.  Haven't seen this idea mentioned before but it may have been so apologies if so.
Hi,  still happy and not selling ;-)
Brgds,
Yvo.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,210 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 920 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,593 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 957 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,596 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,499 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,690 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,611 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,975 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg