Boinc - to help science
tried this on the android with LCD screen rom, but couldnt find a way to turn off the monitor so was unable to do anything Sad
SO I retried this on Android, and it IS working though I have to say it is pretty damn slow. Also there are no visual animations, in the windows version I am using a visual screen saver pops up and shows you the data being processed. I also had a problem with the SETI one, where I managed to complete one task (in over 24 hours....) but after it doesn't seem to want to accept another task.

I have just set up Universe@Home and I am currently running two Xray sources simultaneously so not sure what is up with it. Anyone else trying this - be great to hear from you if so?
(07-12-2016, 12:37 PM)ajsullivan Wrote: SO I retried this on Android, and it IS working though I have to say it is pretty damn slow. Also there are no visual animations, in the windows version I am using a visual screen saver pops up and shows you the data being processed. I also had a problem with the SETI one, where I managed to complete one task (in over 24 hours....) but after it doesn't seem to want to accept another task.

I have just set up Universe@Home and I am currently running two Xray sources simultaneously so not sure what is up with it. Anyone else trying this - be great to hear from you if so?

Visual animation (E.g. Windoze screensaver) is really a waste of resources which could be better spent finishing whatever@home work faster.  Personally, I prefer no screensaver and let Power Management simply shut off the monitor after awhile.

Under Linux, one can use the boinc-manager to check on the boinc-client tasks on a local machine or any IP-addressable machine that permits this.
I already gathered the visuals were not actually contributing to anything, but after reading up the resource use was minimal apparently. Any way of finding out the speed the pine board is running the tasks at? Over a matter of a few days I managed to get over 30k credit with my main desktop machine, with the pine on nearly two days I am guessing im on about 200.... Tongue
I finally got World Community grid running on my PINE64 this week, using BOINC for Android.  Only 5 confirmed results so far, so can't really comment on performance, but I'll be keeping an eye on how it compares to my quad core Atom-based Venue Pro 8 (Windows 10) tablet.

It runs HOT: I'm running the board bare and it's often bouncing off the 80 degree thermal limit, throttling to 1008MHz.  I'm only using the tiny heatsinks that came with my power supply (the kit was intended for an RPI3), along with a couple voltage regulator heatsinks I had kicking around Arctic Slivered to the RAM.  The CPU heatsink is distinctly hot to the touch. 

One other gotcha, I was crunching sideways for awhile until I installed an app to control screen rotation. Dodgy

And one positive discovery: it can easily stream video @720p (which is my TV's resolution, so I haven't tried higher) while crunching WCG on 4 cores. Big Grin

Overall I'm pretty stoked about it; 4 gigahertz (even when throttled) cores crunching 24/7 should be more compute than a 90's supercomputer... at 5W! Cool
Oh, I completely forget about this thread.
So four of those Pines https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-0Pn6...kc5MDhjMjQ are working under Android with BOINC (and WorldCommunityGrid of course). Fifth is currently under Ubuntu with TOR node and ZoneMinder (with one or sometimes two 720p USB webcams).

Great little computers besides problem with gigabit ethernet :/.
(07-28-2016, 01:32 PM)psmacmur Wrote: I finally got World Community grid running on my PINE64 this week, using BOINC for Android.  Only 5 confirmed results so far, so can't really comment on performance, but I'll be keeping an eye on how it compares to my quad core Atom-based Venue Pro 8 (Windows 10) tablet.

It runs HOT: I'm running the board bare and it's often bouncing off the 80 degree thermal limit, throttling to 1008MHz.  I'm only using the tiny heatsinks that came with my power supply (the kit was intended for an RPI3), along with a couple voltage regulator heatsinks I had kicking around Arctic Slivered to the RAM.  The CPU heatsink is distinctly hot to the touch. 

One other gotcha, I was crunching sideways for awhile until I installed an app to control screen rotation. Dodgy

And one positive discovery: it can easily stream video @720p (which is my TV's resolution, so I haven't tried higher) while crunching WCG on 4 cores. Big Grin

Overall I'm pretty stoked about it; 4 gigahertz (even when throttled) cores crunching 24/7 should be more compute than a 90's supercomputer... at 5W! Cool

Thanks on the good report. I will have some goodies for you on next few months. Stays tune and i fully support World Community Grid project.
So I've been running Boinc on this for a few weeks now 24/7 on android. After trying different projects, the one I have most joy with is Asteroids@home. Constantly updates with new workloads and seems really stable. I have also made all four cores available (today) and seems good! I had problems with SETI where it wouldn't update with new tasks once the initial one was complete, and some of the others are flaky. In the weeks or so I have added asteroids@home I have just over 8000 credit, with 2000 on universe@home. I expect more now I have enabled all four cores (rather than default 2). I will try to update this in one week to see home much credit was gained.

I have it running with the LCD monitor attached and heat seems minimal, even in it's home-made plastic case. Overall pretty good Smile
(08-06-2016, 03:31 AM)ajsullivan Wrote: I have it running with the LCD monitor attached and heat seems minimal, even in it's home-made plastic case. Overall pretty good Smile

Android does a very good job of managing the GPU freqs and thermal conditions;  I do have heatsinks on my play box board, but only passive cooling.  The unit runs consistently in the high 30s C  to the mid 40s C   (not bad, for a sealed box with only small vent )
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
Is there anyone who can provide some updates to this thread?
Specifically; does it still need Android to run BOINC or mining tools?
(I'm trying to steer clear of google products)
PinePhone Beta 2GB/16GB Postmarket OS v23.06.1 Phosh 0.30.0 (not in use)

PineTab2 Arch Danctnix 6.4.2