Considering buying and question on the PCIe slot
So I imagine the greatest interest in this SBC is the PCIe slot, so what have people used that slot for yet?
Are there any good drivers out there in the ARM world yet that people who aren't pro Linux programmers and kernel compilers can use?
I personally have plenty of small ARM boards and still need to make full use of my Rock64 board,
While I would like to have a newer CPU and GPU, all I would use it for is a glorified small form factor Linux desktop computer.
Is there anything that PCIe slot can do that would make it worthwhile the $80?
I would like to slap a affordable Nvidia GPU in that slot, is there any ARM based Linux that could drive it as a display adapter? Has anyone ran the Nouveau driver under an ARM environment before?

Thanks for any help,
MobileJAD.
(06-24-2018, 08:23 AM)MobileJAD Wrote: So I imagine the greatest interest in this SBC is the PCIe slot, so what have people used that slot for yet?
Are there any good drivers out there in the ARM world yet that people who aren't pro Linux programmers and kernel compilers can use?
I personally have plenty of small ARM boards and still need to make full use of my Rock64 board,
While I would like to have a newer CPU and GPU, all I would use it for is a glorified small form factor Linux desktop computer.
I would like to slap a affordable Nvidia GPU in that slot, is there any ARM based Linux that could drive it as a display adapter? Has anyone ran the Nouveau driver under an ARM environment before?

Thanks for any help,
MobileJAD.

I just received mine the other day. I plan to test nvidia and amd gpus.
(07-24-2018, 10:41 PM)joe2gaan Wrote:
(06-24-2018, 08:23 AM)MobileJAD Wrote: So I imagine the greatest interest in this SBC is the PCIe slot, so what have people used that slot for yet?

Thanks for any help,
MobileJAD.

I just received mine the other day. I plan to test nvidia and amd gpus.

Cool I'm very interested to find out what happens when a GPU is plugged in, will it recognize the GPU in the slot and attempt to load a driver and if so, can it output video through the GPU?
the PCIe slot is only x4 long. Most GPU are far longer. the only ones that would fit are PCIe x1. Alternatively you would need a m.2 adapter to PCIe x16 slot to fit a GPU.
(07-26-2018, 05:14 PM)Firesped Wrote: the PCIe slot is only x4 long. Most GPU are far longer. the only ones that would fit are PCIe x1. Alternatively you would need a m.2 adapter to PCIe x16 slot to fit a GPU.

Not to be rude, but this is not true. Yes, it is only PCIex4, but the slot on the ROCKPro64 is open-ended, so it can fit longer cards.
(07-26-2018, 06:42 PM)Pniqolus Wrote:
(07-26-2018, 05:14 PM)Firesped Wrote: the PCIe slot is only x4 long. Most GPU are far longer. the only ones that would fit are PCIe x1. Alternatively you would need a m.2 adapter to PCIe x16 slot to fit a GPU.

Not to be rude, but this is not true. Yes, it is only PCIex4, but the slot on the ROCK64 is open-ended, so it can fit longer cards.

Plus there's also a plethora of pcie ribbon cables and slot adapters, if I were to build a system using the Rock Pro 64, I wouldn't necessarily cram a full size GTX 1080ti with a three slot wide gaming cooler on it, and crush the poor SBC underneath it. I could mount the GPU to the side of the SBC in a small pcie chassis like the ones those egpu kits use and run a pcie ribbon cable to the Rock Pro 64.
Right now I just want to know what the Rock Pro 64 would do if a Nvidia or AMD graphics card were plugged into its pcie slot.
Photo 

Not to be rude, but this is not true. Yes, it is only PCIex4, but the slot on the ROCK64 is open-ended, so it can fit longer cards.

Plus there's also a plethora of pcie ribbon cables and slot adapters, if I were to build a system using the Rock Pro 64, I wouldn't necessarily cram a full size GTX 1080ti with a three slot wide gaming cooler on it, and crush the poor SBC underneath it. I could mount the GPU to the side of the SBC in a small pcie chassis like the ones those egpu kits use and run a pcie ribbon cable to the Rock Pro 64.
Right now I just want to know what the Rock Pro 64 would do if a Nvidia or AMD graphics card were plugged into its pcie slot.[/quote]

Done!  Now to install some drivers. This was done in Arch Linux. 

(07-30-2018, 06:07 PM)joe2gaan Wrote:

Right now I just want to know what the Rock Pro 64 would do if a Nvidia or AMD graphics card were plugged into its pcie slot.

[/quote]

Can it output video to the video card? Without any displays hooked up to the SBC?
(07-30-2018, 10:38 PM)MobileJAD Wrote:
(07-30-2018, 06:07 PM)joe2gaan Wrote:

Can it output video to the video card? Without any displays hooked up to the SBC?
[/quote]

I am testing that now. I need to reconfigure my image.

Cool, I'll keep an eye on here for any progress!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Another Fan Question backwoodstech2 1 267 02-03-2024, 04:09 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
Information Question regarding odd startup behaviour Mff 0 1,125 12-03-2022, 03:18 PM
Last Post: Mff
  PCIE interface power on too late Slark Xiao 0 960 11-29-2022, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Slark Xiao
  PCIe gen1 timeout - how to debug tosi 3 4,457 03-10-2022, 05:06 PM
Last Post: db579
  Anyone try an NVIDIA GPU in the PCIe slot? Paraplegic Racehorse 0 1,703 04-15-2021, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Paraplegic Racehorse
  Never ever mix up CPU board connector with 8-pin PCIE connector LMM 0 1,731 02-11-2021, 10:18 AM
Last Post: LMM
  PCIe Armbian and Ayufan for nvme ssd LMM 1 2,627 02-03-2021, 04:38 PM
Last Post: LMM
  fan continously runs on kernel 5.8 but I need to use 5. kernel for PCIe sata card GreyLinux 4 5,586 10-20-2020, 10:52 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  PCIe x4 mode - Lane 3 failure acdkyn 1 2,728 04-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Last Post: kuleszdl
  micro SD Card Slot Spring not working, Cant boot mjembd 1 3,053 04-16-2020, 12:30 AM
Last Post: mjembd