Rock64 and Nextcloud
Hi,

I just want to get some opinion on my build. I'm planning to build my own cloud using Nextcloud and Rock64, and using hardware raid for redundancy.

I'm hoping for the community to comment on my hardware selection.

Option A:

Rock64
USB to SATA cable (link)
Icy dock Hard Drive Cage with RAID (link)
250gb SSD (x2)
6A or 8A Power Supply (Link)
5.5mm to 3.5mm Power plug adapter (link)

Option B:

Rock64
USB 3.0 Type A to Type B (Link)
Oodelay USB 3.0 to 2x SATA with hardware RAID (Link)
250gb SSD (x2)
6A or 8A Power Supply (Link)
5.5mm to 3.5mm Power plug adapter (link)

Could anyone comment on the hardware selection. I'm leaning against option A but the Icy dock is more money than the Oodelay, and I'm trying to find out how to power the two SSD if I go with Option B. Can I power the two SSD using the USB 2.0 to SATA power adapter or can I use this splitter (link) and power the Rock64 and the two SSD's, I'm not sure if this is safe.

Hopefully someone could give me some advice.

Thanks
There's a couple things to be aware of:

1) You need to make sure that the USB-SATA adapter, whether it is in the cable or the enclosure, supports Linux. Many of them do not. Neither one you linked has any indication of being supported on Linux, so there is a fair chance that it does not. My recommendation would be to find one that uses the JMS578 chip (use "JMS578" in your search terms).

2) RAID is not a backup. There's a distinction to be made here. Are you looking for maximum availability (data will always be accessible), or maximum data safety (least chance of losing data)? These are not the same thing, and often achieving one means taking compromises on the other. RAID will give you availability of data, but it's not so good at keeping the data safe. RAID controllers (especially cheap ones like you'll find in those two devices you're debating) often have a tendency to break and corrupt all the drives.

My recommendation would be to just use the Rock64 (with a high quality 3A or 4A power supply -- no need for the big ones you have in mind) with a JMS578 adapter hooked up to just one SSD, and use the other SSD as an offline backup (connect with a similar adapter on one of the USB2 ports when you want to backup). This will be safer than cheap RAID and there is less to go wrong.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

(06-14-2018, 08:57 PM)fire219 Wrote: My recommendation would be to just use the Rock64 (with a high quality 3A or 4A power supply -- no need for the big ones you have in mind) with a JMS578 adapter hooked up to just one SSD, and use the other SSD as an offline backup (connect with a similar adapter on one of the USB2 ports when you want to backup). This will be safer than cheap RAID and there is less to go wrong.

I second that! Offline backup is the best way to go... no power spikes to fry primary and backups, no software raid to ruin your day. Do an image of your OS separately, and then do a backup of the SSDs with rsync, syncthing, etc.
(06-15-2018, 04:54 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(06-14-2018, 08:57 PM)fire219 Wrote: My recommendation would be to just use the Rock64 (with a high quality 3A or 4A power supply -- no need for the big ones you have in mind) with a JMS578 adapter hooked up to just one SSD, and use the other SSD as an offline backup (connect with a similar adapter on one of the USB2 ports when you want to backup). This will be safer than cheap RAID and there is less to go wrong.

I second that! Offline backup is the best way to go... no power spikes to fry primary and backups, no software raid to ruin your day. Do an image of your OS separately, and then do a backup of the SSDs with rsync, syncthing, etc.

I agree with the previous two suggestions and have an alternative backup option.  I run Duplicacy on a Rock64 and use it to backup a local NAS to Backblaze B2.  It works really well and provides the benefit of an offline copy AND a geographically separate copy as well.  The nice thing is that I store all my critical data on the NAS box and so the Rock64 backs them all up in the middle of the night.

From a process standpoint, my script mounts the NAS, backs it up and then unmounts it.
wow, thanks guys for all the inputs, I really appreciate it, I knew I will get a better setup for asking for help.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are HW design files available for ROCK64? irenek 3 4,538 12-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Rock64 is unreliable after 3 years of service - power problem? ReleaseTheGeese 0 278 11-23-2023, 05:05 AM
Last Post: ReleaseTheGeese
  Rock64 PoE compatbility with Pi4 Hatt recent Single Board Computer offering from PINE kharak 1 975 04-26-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Case for the rock64 that supports the POE hat. o1CRiMSON1o 0 576 03-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: o1CRiMSON1o
Brick Rock64 usb2.0 Power Control Floating GPIO Tutorial Files & Notes MarkHaysHarris777 6 13,044 01-15-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: ds00
  rock64 totally brick dakobg 2 1,649 11-07-2022, 05:45 PM
Last Post: olivercfc
  3D-Printable Button Pegs for the ROCK64 Aluminium Case CounterPillow 2 3,410 08-04-2022, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vicky Weimann PhD
  Where can I find the ROCK64 POE HAT Zoz 2 2,498 06-08-2022, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Zoz
Smile wooden case for ROCK64 killor 13 16,184 03-04-2022, 06:56 AM
Last Post: killor
  1wire DS18b20 on Rock64? mypineme 6 6,827 09-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: TRS-80