Like it
30.56%
Its not for me
19.44%
36 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

RockPro64 Case 2x3.5" HDDs and 2x2.5 HDDs
Photo 
[edit 04/07/2017] The ROCKPro64 case is now available in the store.

I am attaching pictures of prototype NAS / Desktop/ Server (or whatever you're making) case for the RockPro64. Just in case you're wondering, the production version will come with matching black screws making it look neat. Once I know the exact dimensions I'll edit this post.

As for availability of the case, it should be available sooner than you might think - probably around the time the second batch of boards ship later this month.

Its a hefty - as in actually quite heavy and really sturdy - metal case with ionized black finish. Its genuinely high quality.  It has an internal mount for 4 HDDs inside: 2x3.5" HDDs and 2x2.5 HDDs as well as a bracket for a 120mm fan. You will obviously need the PCIe SATA card sold in the Pine64 store to attach the drives. There will be a way to power those drives too - work is being on that right now (again, once I know more I'll update the thread).

There are cutouts for the USB 2.0 / 3.0 and C ports as well as GbE, HDMI, AUX jack, Power Jack, Power/ Reset buttons and PCIe cards. So, in theory you could add more storage of other high speed I/O stuff via USB 3.0 and C. In the back of the case, at the top, there are also 3 additional cutouts for BT and WiFi antennas.

Front

[Image: UdVp2Qu.jpg]

Back
[Image: WSTUkJp.jpg]

As always, feedback and reactions are very welcome!

[03/06/2018 edit]: I am editing in a few renders of how the case will look populated with HDDs, the board itself and the fan:

[Image: sDsrHVX.jpg]

[Image: FHLJCZ2.jpg]

[Image: VaSHegO.jpg]

[Image: t4YRble.jpg]

(edit 2018-07-03, pfeerick, photo of production case with silkscreen from pine64 twitter feed)
[Image: DgzK8teW4AIFY8h.jpg:large]

[edit 03/07/2018] case dimensions:

[Image: JPfdNFk.jpg]
[Image: xNNc6A8.jpg]
[Image: NTYTq2I.jpg]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

That looks very cool.  Any sense of the cost?
Finally! I have been waiting for it. Could you provide populated (4 HDDs) internals photo? How do you connect 4 HDDs and supply power?

The most important thing is to ensure that under full load (CPU, GPU, all 4 HDDs, other IC (e.g. NICs)) the power supply can provide enough amps. It would sad to figure out later than system randomly crashes under heavy load due to power supply issues.

This has a high chance to be my next Nexcloud + Backup repository machine.

Keep doing what you are doing!
Any provision for rack mounting?
(06-02-2018, 12:56 PM)david13lt Wrote: Finally! I have been waiting for it. Could you provide populated (4 HDDs) internals photo? How do you connect 4 HDDs and supply power?

The most important thing is to ensure that under full load (CPU, GPU, all 4 HDDs, other IC (e.g. NICs)) the power supply can provide enough amps. It would sad to figure out later than system randomly crashes under heavy load due to power supply issues.

This has a high chance to be my next Nexcloud + Backup repository machine.

Keep doing what you are doing!

I have edited the post with some renders - as soon as I'll have actual pictures of the internals I'll make sure to update the post again.

Can't same I'm liking the idea of the fan and heatsink placement I would have liked another fan inline with the SBC, so that it's heatsink is cooled more directly, rather than potentially heating up the stacked 3.5" hard drives above it. I know it doesn't generate much heat idling... but will warm up significantly under load (because it can) and even a few degree increases is a lot over time when it's sustained. 

If I get one, and this is the final design, I'd be looking at putting the largest fans I can either side of the SBC - front and back -  (because can probably only fit 50mm fans at best in that space, else one larger one and vent-holes would be enough) and linking them together and having them temperature controlled by the SBC or via an external bi-metallic temperature switch. Some nice fan grills and dust protector inserts, and it would run nice and cool, even under reasonably heavy sustained workloads...
Thanks for the picture update!

Agreed regarding dust protector/filter on intake grills. These backup / NAS / etc systems are not touched and cleaned frequently. Cleaning a filter is better than powering down and cleaning the whole machine with compressed air.

What about HDD vibrations? Does it come / work with anti-vibration screws or something similar? Same question with case feet. Some rubber to protect it from sliding and dampening some vibrations.
Hi Luke,

I Like the idea of this case, but I've lost drives to overheating before, so I share pfeerick concern on how much heat will build up if the SBC is under heavy load. From the photo's it looks like only one end of the chassis has a grill, if your going for NAS/Server then grills at both ends would be better. I'm not sure if you could get a fan in at the SBC end as well.

I get why a desktop version would not look that pleasing with grills at both ends.
Added dimensions to first post (thank you pfeerick for adding the picture of the production case)

Now available in the store Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 175 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 673 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,086 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 835 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,241 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  Cant get rockpro64 working brasilikum 3 1,703 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: runyor
  RockPro64 Stopped working WarpLover 5 2,519 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: diizzy
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 959 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater
  RockPro64 and Neon rapier1 2 1,696 10-21-2022, 07:44 AM
Last Post: rapier1