[June 19] Armbian (5.42) ROCK64 | [June 19] Armbian (5.38) PINE A64(+) / PINE A64-LTS / SOPINE | [June 19] motionEyeOS (20180224) PINE A64(+) | [June 19] Armbian (5.46) Pinebook | [June 06] Bionic LXDE (0.6.44-239) ROCK64 | Bionic Minimal (0.6.44-239) ROCK64 | [June 06] Debian Stretch Minimal (0.6.44-239) ROCK64 | [June 06] Jessie OpenMediaVault (0.6.44-239) ROCK64 | [May 21] Slackware (20180508) ROCK64

Project Inspiration | Get Started | IRC Logs | Forum Rules/Policy

Socket
Question 
Hi,

this is my first post on the forum.

Just for the record, contrary to many newcomers to SBC world, I'm used to various Unices since more than 20 years and it's quite nice to have such OSes for those, which finally deserved to be called "micro-computers" (remember the 80s ? big Z80 based Amstrad with huge TV sold as such Smile )

Regarding the  PADI, I bought one with a Rock64 just to play a bit with it and the first thing coming to my mind it is quite unfortunate to have only the choice of soldering it to the breadboard adaptor to use it, loosing the size benefit.
So a kind of feature request for Pine64 team, or anyone who is able to do it, it would be useful I guess to have a dedicated ZIF socket similar to PLCC32 ones.

Some examples from aliexpress items: a test socket, a conversion socket

I'm pretty sure a thin spring type metal plate can hold the castellated joints of the PADI and allow us to program/tune it, remove it then solder it to it's final resting place Wink. By the way someone get the same idea as me for ESP-14 (but this one need some tuning to be less ugly).

Regards.
if you want to do some fabrication work you already have everything you need to modify and then create a test jig. just find a method to temporarily lock a padi to the breadboard in precise location then mark where you will need to drill on the solder pads for the pogo wires or similar, then drill, then solder lightly the wire to the pad. if you do not want to do the work, or can't, then find someone who can. it is not that difficult.
(05-28-2018, 07:23 AM)MichaelRock Wrote: So a kind of feature request for Pine64 team, or anyone who is able to do it, it would be useful I guess to have a dedicated ZIF socket similar to PLCC32 ones.

I'm pretty sure a thin spring type metal plate can hold the castellated joints of the PADI and allow us to program/tune it, remove it then solder it to it's final resting place Wink. By the way someone get the same idea as me for ESP-14 (but this one need some tuning to be less ugly).

Welcome!

Indeed... it would be nice as an option. Perhaps something like this (for the ESP32) or this (for the ESP8266) could be done for the PADI. There is even a 3d printed jig some did for the ESP8266 which I bet took a while to make. Having said that, as dkryder said, it's not that hard to make a jig... although it's a bit overkill if you only want to do one or two boards.