NetBSD for Pinebook
(05-29-2018, 04:23 AM)jmcneill Wrote: You haven't done anything wrong, I've only built packages for 32-bit ARM at this point (the 64-bit ARM NetBSD port is only a few months old). I replaced that part of the web site with instructions for building packages from source with pkgsrc.

Ah ok! Smile What would be the url for these instructions you are referring to please?-)
(05-29-2018, 11:04 AM)rookieone Wrote: Ah ok! Smile What would be the url for these instructions you are referring to please?-)

Same URL as in the OP - http://www.invisible.ca/arm/
Is there any work in progress to support pinebook's wifi in NetBSD? (I'm just curious)

Thanks!
Based on downloading and giving it a try yesterday, I'd say that it hasn't changed, still no wifi. That said, startx does bring up a GUI screen (twm) and my USB ethernet adaptor works.
Something to keep in mind is NetBSD is NOT Linux, it has existed in it's current form for arguably longer. It does stuff it's own way.

You install the base OS, then choose which desktop you want and install it separately. You mostly install stuff from source using pkgsrc if there are no pre-built packages, it's a pretty ingenious system. It also works on other operating systems.

If you read the documentation at www.netbsd.org, it works for most hardware platforms, including the Pinebook. There's no special instructions specifically for the Pinebook that are required for the most part, other than getting it installed. Once it's install it will work like any other NetBSD system.
Added NetBSD [201811111550Z] for 1080P Pinebook on Wiki and PINE64 Installer
Hello!

Just got a Pinebook, and I'm interested in experimenting with it, and potentially BSD. Since the sources I've found seem to be scarce - shat's the current status of hardware support in May 2019? This post - https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/pinebook - states that not all cores are useable, and ifi requires an external dongle. Is this still true? Also - where can I find more info?

And - if these problems still persist - where  and how could I start contributing to a potential fix? I have some interest in OS dev, and this might be an interesting project. I have little experience as of yet with it (have mostly done some web dev), but am willing to start learning.
(05-29-2019, 09:45 PM)tangerine Wrote: Hello!

Just got a Pinebook, and I'm interested in experimenting with it, and potentially BSD. Since the sources I've found seem to be scarce - shat's the current status of hardware support in May 2019? This post - https://blog.netbsd.org/tnf/entry/pinebook - states that not all cores are useable, and ifi requires an external dongle. Is this still true? Also - where can I find more info?

And - if these problems still persist - where  and how could I start contributing to a potential fix? I have some interest in OS dev, and this might be an interesting project. I have little experience as of yet with it (have mostly done some web dev), but am willing to  start learning.

Check out the port-arm mailing list https://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-arm/ and search for "pinebook status update" threads.
I'm not an advanced linux user, using Manjaro on my non-work-related laptop.
I decided to try out NetBSD on my Pinebook, because anything with GUI feels slow as hell.

Anyway, I downloaded the NetBSD 9 image, flashed it to an SD card I'm installing NetBSD via sysinst.
The process is failing at the point where I need to pick the sets location. I select the image media, some locations are preselected, I press Continue and get the following message:

Command: /sbin/mount -rt cd9660 /dev/ /mnt2

How can I fix this or is there a better way to install NetBSD to emmc?
Also, the wi-fi is not working. Is there a way to fix it?
(10-20-2020, 01:52 PM)rckt Wrote: I decided to try out NetBSD on my Pinebook, because anything with GUI feels slow as hell.

Sorry, not helping you with NetBSD. Just asking if you've tried Manjaro+Swaywm on your Pinebook? I've tried more distros with GUI and all felt slow, but the before mentioned combination finally feels usable.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FreeBSD for Pinebook e-minguez 4 9,491 10-14-2020, 05:12 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
Question OpenBSD 6.7 on Pinebook 1080p SKG 4 7,841 05-25-2020, 08:15 AM
Last Post: SKG
  OpenBSD on Pinebook 1080p? binholz 29 37,341 03-18-2020, 06:42 AM
Last Post: ab1jx
  OpenBSD on Pinebook - improving user experience elewarr 15 18,520 12-20-2019, 06:57 PM
Last Post: rogerroger