Write SPI Flash don't work
Hi All,

I can not manage to write uboot to SPI with the installation procedure "flashing and procedure" on github.
I downloaded the latest u-boot-flash-spi.img.xz image and write on µSD with Etcher.
I boot from my µSD and I see the led flashing but there is no display on my screen. 
I left it all night, without result.

To test, I install xenial-minimal-rock64-0.6.33-211-arm64.img.xz image on micro sd but it does not work.
I reinstall xenial-minimal-rock64-0.5.15-136-arm64.img.xz image on micro sd but it work. If i update to v0.6.33, at reboot, it does not work anymore.

An idea?
(04-29-2018, 01:09 PM)djukonline Wrote: Hi All,

I can not manage to write uboot to SPI with the installation procedure "flashing and procedure" on github.
I downloaded the latest u-boot-flash-spi.img.xz image and write on µSD with Etcher.
I boot from my µSD and I see the led flashing but there is no display on my screen. 
I left it all night, without result.

To test, I install xenial-minimal-rock64-0.6.33-211-arm64.img.xz image on micro sd but it does not work.
I reinstall xenial-minimal-rock64-0.5.15-136-arm64.img.xz image on micro sd but it work. If i update to v0.6.33, at reboot, it does not work anymore.

An idea?

There is no display on the screen during flashing . Just the end of the procedure OK when the white led flashes alternately every second.

Remove the micro SD and put instead a picture Débian, Ubuntu, Android or Armbian (it works). I have not tested with Xénial
Quote:Just the end of the procedure OK when the white led flashes alternately every second.
My problem is that there is no message OK when the led flashes alternately.
I have the feeling that uboot flash is not taken into account.
How long for flashing? I cut the power after one night Cool .

I tested Armbian 5.42, Xenial 0.6.33 and Stretch 0.6.33 image but it's crashing the board.
All images in version 0.5.15, work.
(04-29-2018, 02:11 PM)djukonline Wrote:
Quote:Just the end of the procedure OK when the white led flashes alternately every second.
My problem is that there is no message OK when the led flashes alternately.
How long for flashing? I cut the power after one night Cool .

I tested Armbian 5.42, Xenial 0.6.33 and Stretch 0.6.33 image but it's crashing the board.
All images in version 0.5.15, work.
There is no message on the screen this is normal.

For the LED wait 30 seconds.

For the image try Debian strech mate 0.5.15-136-20171222
(04-29-2018, 02:11 PM)djukonline Wrote: My problem is that there is no message OK when the led flashes alternately.
How long for flashing? I cut the power after one night.

As vincent indicated, this is NORMAL! The uboot-spi-flash image as small as it is because it does one thing only, writes uboot to the SPI flash. It does not have the extra baggage needed to output to a monitor, etc.

If you get the lights blinking, then it should be finished. Leave it for say 10-20 seconds after the lights flash to be sure. But it should take only a minute or two (faster if you're just erasing it).

And once you have powered off the rock64, pull the card out and put a different image on it or put a different card in with a linux or android build on it, otherwise it will just try to write uboot to the SPI flash the next time you power it on (again).
I thought I could not flash uboot but I realize that I can boot to the USB port.
So uboot is correctly installed on my rock64.

Now, I'm trying to understand why all images v0.6.xx (xenial,stretch,bionic) and amrbian v5.42 doesn't work.

Rock64 crash 

All images v0.5.15 works correctly on micro sd and usb port. no test on emmc
Image Android TV works correctly on micro sd and emmc. no test on usb port
(04-30-2018, 02:39 PM)djukonline Wrote: Now, I'm trying to understand why all images v0.6.xx (xenial,stretch,bionic) and amrbian v5.42 doesn't work.

Glad you're making progress! 

(04-30-2018, 02:39 PM)djukonline Wrote: Now, I'm trying to understand why all images v0.6.xx (xenial,stretch,bionic) and amrbian v5.42 doesn't work.
Not sure what is happening here. I'm running a 0.6.x build (0.6.25)  of xenial-containers without any issue. I prefer the xenial builds to bionic as it is still green and hasn't been stress tested enough. It was certainly revealing when a bug was found only a few hours before release which actually delayed launch! :-O

Edit: I take that back... I was just rebooting it several times to test something from a different thread, and got a kernel hangup similar to yours... although I suspect it was because there was bootable images on both the SD card and eMMC, and during the boot it went from the eMMC to the SD card... after a power cycle I haven't been able to get it to do it again after a couple more reboots and powerdowns (after removing the offending SD card)
If pfeerick doesn't know how to help you then I doubt I'll be of any help - but one thing that tkaiser pointed out to me some time ago when I had a similar problem was, see if you can access tty3. In my case I could.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-01-2018, 04:07 AM)Luke Wrote: If pfeerick doesn't know how to help you then I doubt I'll be of any help - but one thing that tkaiser pointed out to me some time ago when I had a similar problem was, see if you can access tty3. In my case I could.

Just tried the latest xenial-containers build... and it doesn't like me! I jumpered the SPI just in case something was going on there, but no change there either. Sad Something definitely seems broken in the newer images... maybe the DDR speed switching stuff isn't working properly (I'm suspecting that as I tried loading the older 0.6.25 onto the same SD card, and it had the same problem, so I jumpered the SPI so the newer uboot on it didn't run, and viola, the older image booted fine from the SD card... so there definitely looks to be something wrong at the uboot stage)? Anyway, sticking with the older 0.6.25 on eMMC for now.  

https://pastebin.com/iEwc0xUn
(05-02-2018, 02:53 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(05-01-2018, 04:07 AM)Luke Wrote: If pfeerick doesn't know how to help you then I doubt I'll be of any help - but one thing that tkaiser pointed out to me some time ago when I had a similar problem was, see if you can access tty3. In my case I could.

Just tried the latest xenial-containers build... and it doesn't like me! I jumpered the SPI just in case something was going on there, but no change there either. Sad Something definitely seems broken in the newer images... maybe the DDR speed switching stuff isn't working properly (I'm suspecting that as I tried loading the older 0.6.25 onto the same SD card, and it had the same problem, so I jumpered the SPI so the newer uboot on it didn't run, and viola, the older image booted fine from the SD card... so there definitely looks to be something wrong at the uboot stage)? Anyway, sticking with the older 0.6.25 on eMMC for now.  

https://pastebin.com/iEwc0xUn

So, there is a problem with all image 0.6.3x and uboot.
You can also try to install an image 0.5.15 and update it in 0.6.3x. it work but if you reboot your rock64, it crashes at restart.
I expect you with impatience, the release.  Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,236 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 510 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
Sad HDMI doesn't work on rock64 rock7 0 2,751 12-16-2019, 01:04 PM
Last Post: rock7
Bug mpph264enc output doesn't work on bionic rompelstompel 11 16,431 11-15-2019, 10:00 AM
Last Post: gounthar
  USB 3.0 hard drive write speed increase tip on Ubuntu 18.04 Wizardknight 3 6,761 05-26-2019, 10:28 PM
Last Post: Wizardknight
  Cannot make DAC Add-on Board work under debian szclsya 0 1,835 09-29-2018, 12:57 AM
Last Post: szclsya
  Tutorial How to write a image in the eMMc card without USB adaptor or serial cable gedas07 2 3,758 08-29-2018, 10:08 AM
Last Post: gedas07
  If installing free software system which devices will not work? heocb 6 6,751 08-17-2018, 09:42 AM
Last Post: heocb
  Does AP w/ hostapd with official wifi dongle work? Arsiesys 5 7,033 01-17-2018, 04:03 AM
Last Post: Luke
  H264 hardware encoder not work sueshieh 3 6,426 11-02-2017, 03:57 AM
Last Post: dalmate