Boot Problems, LEDs lit continuously
(04-30-2018, 11:06 AM)Facecreator Wrote: Hello, I have now tried the ROCK64 read out serially. I use a FTDI FTD232 (This one) for this purpose. I have Linux installed on my Raspberry Pi. I also tried with Windows and Putty. Short on my approach:

1.) Connect Rx from the Rock64 (pin 10) to the Tx of the adapter
2.) Connect Tx from the Rock64 (pin 8) to the Rx of the adapter
3.) Connect ground together (pin 6)
4.) Plug adapter into USB port (LED on the adapter lights up)
5.) Open terminal and enter: "dmesg | tail -n 10"
6.) He tells me that the adapter is connected to ttyUSB0 (Screenshot)
7.) Then I enter: "sudo minicom -s -D / dev / ttyUSB0 -b 1500000 --color = on"
8.) Then set 1500000 8n1 in the settings and turn off flow control
9) Leave the config and it appears the surface, now I turn on the Rock64 and nothing happens except the 2 funny characters.
10.) Do I have to jump any pins?

That sounds right, except I have never used -s, and have never changed the flow control settings, especially since the serial connection isn't using the CTS/RTS pins so DOES need software flow control.

No pins need to be jumpered, serial should "just work"... But will only work if there is a image that the rock64 can boot from, as it has zero smarts itself. In a pinch, you could try the SPI flash image, which will only boot the rock64, and write a uboot loader to the spi flash, which means you should have something happening if you boot the rock64 without a emmc or SD card fitted. You'll know if it works if after 30 or so seconds the red and white leds start blinking.

It still doesn't explain why you are having trouble bootiing, but this image will also output to the serial, and will give somethinig else to work with...

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...k64.img.xz
Thanks for the answer.

Have flashed again the spi flash on a SD card. SD card put in, rock turned on. After 5 minutes still no flashing, all 3 LEDs are lit continuously. Also over the serial console with activated FlowControll no improvement. (See the screenshot)
I have no idea what to do anymore.

(05-01-2018, 07:58 AM)Facecreator Wrote: Thanks for the answer.

Have flashed again the spi flash on a SD card. SD card put in, rock turned on. After 5 minutes still no flashing, all 3 LEDs are lit continuously. Also over the serial console with activated FlowControll no improvement. (See the screenshot)
I have no idea what to do anymore.

Ok, from the looks of the screenshot, on HTerm, you need to leave the flow control checkbox off, as it's CTS (hardware) flow control, not software flow control.

I'll run it up on my machine and see if there is anything else that needs changing...

I've seen on another thread a suggestion that the power that bleads through from the USB serial adapter was causing someone else startup issues... maybe unplug the rock64 from the power, and disconnected the TX/RX pins of the adapter from it, wait for a few seconds, and then power the rock64 back up, and then connect to the the TX/RX pins again... see if anything happens then. Perhaps the CPU isn't being started/reset properly due to the power leakage.
All I could suggest now is trying an alternative power supply. It could be faulty or there is the possibility that you have a bad board. You've exhausted all the options at this stage.
So, these are working settings with hterm and the rock64...

I set the port, set baud rate (that was... awkward... control kept losing focus).... changed 'newline at' to CR+LF for both RX and TX, unticked show newline characters and that was about it. 

So you didn't get the white led flashing after just more than a minute with that spi-flash image? As at least that would show the board is booting from the SD and doing something. I was hoping it would, and that the problem was just in the serial connection Sad

What brand of SD card are you using? You may need to get hold of a different brand (Samsung EVO are the most reliable and seem to be the best performing at their price point) as if you're not getting any output, it sounds like the rock64 doesn't like it.
Thank you for your answers. I have tried the following micro sd cards: Lexar, Kingston, Intenso and an old Samsung. I have now ordered a new power supply and a new samsung card. In addition, 2 other serial usb adapters. I'll contact you when everything has arrived and I have tested.
(05-02-2018, 01:08 AM)Facecreator Wrote: Thank you for your answers. I have tried the following micro sd cards: Lexar, Kingston, Intenso and an old Samsung. I have now ordered a new power supply and a new samsung card. In addition, 2 other serial usb adapters. I'll contact you when everything has arrived and I have tested.

Just a little thing, I know this has been posted before, but....
My laptop is a HP with a built in SD card reader/writer.  Using that built in slot with Etcher or Win32DiskImager does not create bootable SD images!  In order to get a bootable image I have to use a card reader plugged into one of the USB ports!

Just a thought for something to try!
(05-07-2018, 01:50 AM)KeithJohnAlger Wrote: My laptop is a HP with a built in SD card reader/writer.  Using that built in slot with Etcher or Win32DiskImager does not create bootable SD images!  In order to get a bootable image I have to use a card reader plugged into one of the USB ports!

Nasty! Does it pass verification/validation on Etcher still? If so, that is really bad, must be mangling things up good and proper if it makes Etcher think the card was written properly still! Sad
Hello,
 I'm sorry for the late feedback. I now have it with a new Samsung Micro SD card, 
a new power adapter and new USB-serial adapter. I also tried to power the ROCK64 via the GPIO ports. In all scenarios no sign of life from rock. I flashed the Micro SD cards with a USB micro SD card adapter, also directly with the Micro SD card slot in my laptop. 
I contacted the support and they will send me a new one. I thank everyone for the help, I'll get in touch when the New ROCK is here. 

Thanks again Smile
(05-13-2018, 12:07 PM)Facecreator Wrote: Hello,
 I'm sorry for the late feedback. I now have it with a new Samsung Micro SD card, 
a new power adapter and new USB-serial adapter. I also tried to power the ROCK64 via the GPIO ports. In all scenarios no sign of life from rock. I flashed the Micro SD cards with a USB micro SD card adapter, also directly with the Micro SD card slot in my laptop. 
I contacted the support and they will send me a new one. I thank everyone for the help, I'll get in touch when the New ROCK is here. 

Thanks again Smile

Its unfortunate you had to go to all that trouble to prove your board was faulty. I guessed that with your unusual led activity the problem was terminal as far as the board was concerned. I assume the manufacturer has taken this this on board and maybe that strange led activity is in fact a failed POST report.

Good luck with your replacement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,761 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 234 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Boot from SPI first mjnck 1 1,439 02-29-2024, 02:12 PM
Last Post: reukiodo
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,930 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  Rock64 u-boot for eMMC Build Error mexicanflyer 0 993 09-18-2022, 02:29 PM
Last Post: mexicanflyer
  rock64, compile problems "illegal instruction", "memory fault" -> ddr_333Mhz? klausfelix 0 1,491 07-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Last Post: klausfelix
  boot hdd usb3 philipe 1 2,581 01-27-2021, 02:12 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Rock64 v2 as Openmediavault server - buffers / shutdown problems helpmerock 2 3,823 12-29-2020, 09:46 AM
Last Post: helpmerock
  rock64, compile problems "illegal instruction", "memory fault" -> ddr_333Mhz? hunderteins 10 14,882 11-17-2020, 08:00 AM
Last Post: Johannes
  Libreelec Rock64 - 4GB no boot spiker15 3 4,457 11-02-2020, 12:36 AM
Last Post: wilsonYan