USB 3?
Any chance of USB 3 support being added? Or a USB 3 expansion card?

With such a fast processor, and the gigabit Ethernet option, hobbling disk I/O through a USB 2 interface is really going to kill the overall performance.

Yes, the MicroSD support allows for faster I/O and allows pretty high capacity. But then you're dealing with the limited lifetime of flash -- ~10,000 writes, and with large block sizes, you hit that faster than you'd think, especially with a media center.

Making at least the host controller USB 3 would be a huge performance win.
(12-21-2015, 10:17 AM)ronhd Wrote: Any chance of USB 3 support being added? Or a USB 3 expansion card?

No way. There are only 2 USB 2.0 ports and that's it. Always remember that we're talking about a limited dirt cheap tablet SoC: http://linux-sunxi.org/A64
(12-22-2015, 04:05 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(12-21-2015, 10:17 AM)ronhd Wrote: Any chance of USB 3 support being added? Or a USB 3 expansion card?

No way. There are only 2 USB 2.0 ports and that's it. Always remember that we're talking about a limited dirt cheap tablet SoC: http://linux-sunxi.org/A64

That doesn't rule out an expansion board, does it? Or would the expansion bus be too slow?
(12-24-2015, 10:14 AM)ronhd Wrote:
(12-22-2015, 04:05 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

That doesn't rule out an expansion board, does it? Or would the expansion bus be too slow?

The various buses (UART, SPI, i2C) on expansion board are slower than USB 3.0.
CYUSB3610-68LTXC
$5.82 for the chip and add the USB C connector + a PCB carrier about $8 designed to replace the Ethernet connector on the Pine64 and then the fun begins:
Rebuild the kernel dropping the Ethernet blob from Allwinner and adding your own.

We tried this on another Chinese ARM SBC and failed, without the 'blob' nothing worked, seems they don't know their own 'blob'.

There will be Gigabyte Ethernet HUB to USB 3.0 soon, buy one and enjoy the Pine for what it is.

FYI: Max Power for Bus Power 3E 496 mA for USB 3.0
that is the rated milliamp or .496 amps for the one part. Kind of shortens the batteries life a little.
(12-27-2015, 06:00 PM)KevinA Wrote: CYUSB3610-68LTXC
$5.82 for the chip and add the USB C connector + a PCB carrier about $8 designed to replace the Ethernet connector on the Pine64 and then the fun begins:
Rebuild the kernel dropping the Ethernet blob from Allwinner and adding your own.

We tried this on another Chinese ARM SBC and failed, without the 'blob' nothing worked, seems they don't know their own 'blob'.

There will be Gigabyte Ethernet HUB to USB 3.0 soon, buy one and enjoy the Pine for what it is.

FYI: Max Power for Bus Power 3E 496 mA for USB 3.0
that is the rated milliamp or .496 amps for the one part. Kind of shortens the batteries life a little.

I don't think you need this chip. As mentioned earlier, Pine A64 has RGMII port for GbE phy.
Wink 
SuperSpeed USB to Gigabit Ethernet Bridge Controller
How would you go from Gigabit Ethernet to SuperSpeed USB without hardware? We are talking about adding USB 3 to the Pine64, right? 

(12-27-2015, 06:00 PM)KevinA Wrote: There will be Gigabyte Ethernet HUB to USB 3.0 soon, buy one and enjoy the Pine for what it is.
Really? Is Pine64 making it or another party? Where can we learn more about this?
(01-23-2016, 01:10 PM)BrianHanifin Wrote:
(12-27-2015, 06:00 PM)KevinA Wrote: There will be Gigabyte Ethernet HUB to USB 3.0 soon, buy one and enjoy the Pine for what it is.
Really? Is Pine64 making it or another party? Where can we learn more about this?

New to me. I don't think we are making it.

With such a fast processor, and the gigabit Ethernet option, hobbling disk I/O through a USB 2 interface is really going to kill the overall performance.

Yes, the MicroSD support allows for faster I/O and allows pretty high capacity. But then you're dealing with the limited lifetime of flash -- ~10,000 writes, and with large block sizes, you hit that faster than you'd think, especially with a media center.

Making at least the host controller USB 3 would be a huge performance win.

FTDI FT60X series USB3 bridge.
http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/ICs/FT600.html

The IC is put the extended board, used GPIO port to bridge Gige Eth.

Overall performance rate is good? or not.