Netrunner 18.03 Idolon for the Pinebook
I tried it and it does not work. Marked all the listed packages to hold and after reboot the KDE did not start, I saw only the mouse cursor.
Quote:I tried it and it does not work. Marked all the listed packages to hold and after reboot the KDE did not start, I saw only the mouse cursor.

Which thing did you try? Zenial -> Bionic, or upgrading Netrunner? I can confirm it definitely works on Netrunner; I still have it installed and it's working fine (except for sound after sleep). I've done several small updates since the original update with no problems.
I tried upgrading Xenial KDE to Bionic. The update went well, the problem was after the first restart. I had only the blank screen with the mouse.
(08-07-2018, 11:25 PM)Wizzard Wrote: I tried upgrading Xenial KDE to Bionic. The update went well, the problem was after the first restart. I had only the blank screen with the mouse.

Okay; yeah; I can't vouch for that. But since you do have X running, the first thing I would try is creating a new user ID and logging in with that to get default desktop settings. Maybe it's a setting for some plasmoid or other desktop component you have configured that didin't upgrade properly.

The Netrunner update went fine; I suppose that's a testimony to Debian's stability. :-p
Ok, I use no plasmoid, so I reinstalled the system with Ubuntu Mate and will try to to the update now.

edit: Mate works, I held these packages:

#!/bin/sh
sudo apt-mark hold x11-apps
sudo apt-mark hold x11-common
sudo apt-mark hold x11-session-utils
sudo apt-mark hold x11-utils
sudo apt-mark hold x11-xkb-utils
sudo apt-mark hold x11-xserver-utils
sudo apt-mark hold xfonts-utils
sudo apt-mark hold xinit
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-input-mouse
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-legacy
sudo apt-mark hold xauth
sudo apt-mark hold xbrlapi
sudo apt-mark hold xdg-user-dirs
sudo apt-mark hold xdg-user-dirs-gtk
sudo apt-mark hold xdg-utils
sudo apt-mark hold xinput
sudo apt-mark hold xkb-data
sudo apt-mark hold xorg
sudo apt-mark hold xorg-docs-core
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-common
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-core
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-input-all
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-input-evdev
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-input-wacom
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-all
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-amdgpu
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-ati
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-fbdev
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-nouveau
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-radeon
sudo apt-mark hold xserver-xorg-video-vesa

edit: even KDE works, but a little slow Smile

I am not sure if I need to hold all of these packages.

BTW, sleep, resume and sound works! Smile
Yesterday I tried to unhold all remaining packages and to update them step by step, with restart after each upgrade. Finally, I updated all the packages and I run fully updated Kubuntu 18.04 and it works.
A question. What kernel version is Netrunner using?
I'm still running this. The command uname -r reports:
Code:
3.10.105-bsp-1.2

This is an ancient kernel, but it seems to work.
I really recommend using rather Ubuntu and upgrade to latest version and to install KDE, it works flawlessly.
(08-30-2018, 02:55 AM)Wizzard Wrote: I really recommend using rather Ubuntu and upgrade to latest version and to install KDE, it works flawlessly.

I prefer something that rolls. If I could get Arch or Manjaro onto the eMMC, I'd use that. Barring that, I've installed Netrunner, enabling the rolling repos lets it roll, and holding back the xorg update keeps my driver in place. For what I use the Pinebook for (mobile note taking and writing), that's enough for me. Of course I'd love it if Netrunner would fix the sleep issue, but I don't have a lot of time to keep installing new images and setting things up again, which is why I use a rolling release (Manjaro) on all my other systems.

I may reconsider when the 4.19 kernel comes out, as it should then have native support for the Pinebook: https://linux-sunxi.org/Linux_mainlining...d_for_4.19

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,146 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,549 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 773 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 605 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,238 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,115 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,660 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,083 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,714 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,735 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442