Netrunner 18.03 Idolon for the Pinebook
Have you tried to sleep a computer and then to play some sound?
Hey everybody; I'm new here. Just got my Pinebook a day ago, and I'm thinking I'm going to standardize on the Netrunner image. I used to use Netrunner (went from Netrunner -> Netrunner Rolling--which was based on Manjaro-- -> Manjaro), and have been a KDE/Plasma user for decades at this point. I was momentarily tempted by the nostalgia of Q4OS, but Netrunner's semi-rolling feature seems to be the right way to go. 

I wanted to just use the distro it came with, but unfortunately Xenial is way too old and doesn't include my editor of choice in its repos (neovim).

I've read through this thread; is sound not being activated on wake the only remaining glitch? Is there anything else?

Image is copying to USB, and I plan to dd it to the emmc soon (already tested it on microSD). Looking forward to using this as my tablet replacement! Finally, I won't be fighting with Android to try to make it into something I can get stuff done on!
I think that sound issue is the only one, together with the problem in sleep mode itself, that does not work correctly, the PB discharges as without sleep mode.
(07-29-2018, 01:05 PM)Wizzard Wrote: I think that sound issue is the only one, together with the problem in sleep mode itself, that does not work correctly, the PB discharges as without sleep mode.

Okay, first experiment failed. Tried enabling the Debian, Netrunner, and Netrunner-rolling repositories in /etc/apt/sources.list.d and then doing an apt-get dist-upgrade. Everything updated well, and then upon reboot, X wouldn't load due to a difference in ABI version between the device driver and X.

I suppose there are two solutions to this problem:

1. Find a newer device driver (I have no idea what it is or how to find it; I'm assuming it's something not managed by the package manager/in a repository?).

2. Configure apt not to update X and try the update again.

I'm going to try #2 unless somebody has any more information. My goal is through upstream, fix the NetworkManager issue (it was a Plasma 5 regression that has now been fixed), and possibly the sleep issue.
(08-01-2018, 12:59 PM)sez11a Wrote: I'm going to try #2 unless somebody has any more information. My goal is through upstream, fix the NetworkManager issue (it was a Plasma 5 regression that has now been fixed), and possibly the sleep issue.

Success! I just booted the machine after updating, and I'm posting this from my Pinebook! I can report that auto-connecting to wifi is fixed. I haven't yet tested sound/sleep, but will do that next (I want to do a cold shutdown/restart first). Here's what I did to get it updated from the Debian repositories:

1. In /etc/apt/sources.list.d are three files: debian-testing.list, netrunner.list, and netrunner-rolling.list. In each of them are various repository URLs, commented out. Re-enable them by removing the hash mark (#) from the beginning of the line.

2. Run sudo apt-get update. Then run apt-get dist-upgrade, but DON'T hit Y to upgrade; hit N. Take note of the X packages that are listed for upgrade (I copy/pasted them into a text file). For convenience, here's the list:
  • x11-apps
  • x11-session-utils
  • x11-utils
  • x11-xkb-utils
  • x11-xserver-utils
  • xfonts-utils
  • xinit
  • xserver-common
  • xserver-xorg-input-mouse
  • xserver-xorg-legacy
3. For each of the packages above, run
Code:
apt-mark hold [package name]

This tells the package manager not to upgrade these packages, thus avoiding the ABI mismatch error I ran into at first.

4. Run apt-get dist-upgrade. This will take a while and download a lot of stuff, including an updated Plasma 5 desktop with the fix for the wifi issue. You'll also be asked some questions; where possible, just keep all the current settings.

5. Reboot, and you'll connect to wifi automatically.

Next I'll test the other issues to see if anything else is fixed, but I wanted to get these instructions out as quick as I could. Smile
Very interesting. Maybe this guide would be also useful for upgrading Ubuntu Xenial to Bionic, I may try it Smile
(08-02-2018, 11:24 PM)Wizzard Wrote: Very interesting. Maybe this guide would be also useful for upgrading Ubuntu Xenial to Bionic, I may try it Smile

Lets us know whether works. Tongue
I did some further experiments with sleep last night. The default sleep script does not work well for me. The machine goes into sleep just fine, but then can't wake up. The screen's backlight comes on, but no interface appears.

I then replaced the sleep script with the "workaround" script mentioned earlier in this thread. With that script, I can return from sleep mode just fine, but as Wizzard has noted, there's no sound.

Speaking of sleep mode, is the power light supposed to be on during sleep? Most machines have a blinking light during sleep. I'm assuming this is correct behavior, because I left the machine unplugged and sleeping for two hours, and the battery only went from 90% to 86% when I woke it up.

Since all of these OSes are Debian-based, I'm wondering if we could "steal" a sleep script from Xenial or Q4OS. I still have Q4OS on an sdcard; I could compare that one with the workaround script and see if there are any clues. Since this is all open source, it doesn't seem like reinventing the wheel is required here.... Smile
(08-02-2018, 11:24 PM)Wizzard Wrote: Very interesting. Maybe this guide would be also useful for upgrading Ubuntu Xenial to Bionic, I may try it Smile

It works, thanks.

(from Ubuntu Xenial mate-> Bionic mate)
Great! Does also sleep and sound after wake work?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  DietPi OS for Pinebook MichaIng 3 5,146 03-11-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: oxoocoffee
  Slarm64 on Pinebook [Slackware Arm - 64 bit] KRT 46 59,565 09-26-2023, 03:18 PM
Last Post: mara
  Broke pinebook GUI, what to do, fix or install new? acruhl 2 775 07-13-2023, 05:43 PM
Last Post: acruhl
  Orignal PineBook jwp1000 1 606 07-10-2023, 07:44 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  Pinebook no longer boots rjtanner 12 3,242 04-13-2023, 01:09 PM
  Stock Debian on original Pinebook moonwalkers 1 3,115 01-29-2022, 10:37 PM
Last Post: cel
  Write image to eMMC - Pinebook 11.6" irongarment 4 3,666 01-04-2022, 09:22 PM
Last Post: irongarment
  E: The repository 'http://pinebook.kde.org.uk bionic Release' no longer has a Release pixelpaperyarn 3 5,084 05-07-2021, 10:20 AM
  pinebook.kde.org.uk no longer has release file?? supermassive 1 3,714 01-20-2021, 11:18 AM
Question Ran apt update on my Pinebook.. ford442 0 2,735 12-25-2020, 04:40 PM
Last Post: ford442