NextcloudPi on a Rock64
(09-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey. I recently set up Nextcloud on one of my 4GB Rock64 boards and its performing extremely well. I tried the NextcloudPi image and I was not quite happy with the performance. It could be because the image is based on an older build from ayufan (0.6.4 IIRC) or because of a combination of other things - I do not know, not an expert.
In any case, I flashed uboot to SPI and Armbian (because of a slightly higher default SOC and RAM freq) to my HDD.
Then I basically followed this tutorial and adjusted where necessary. The one thing the tutorial is missing is enabling cache - which I highly recommend you do once the installation is done. The entire setup took me 30 min flat, including port-forwarding, installing the apps I wanted, etc.,

Its now been running for 3 weeks with occasional heavy load and I've not had any issues with it. I also had no issues with installing the app to mount my NAS as a folder, using Nextcloud Talk (is that what its called ?) with family and fetching/ uploading things from my phone as well as sharing them online.

I think the NextcloudPi project is amazing, but I suggest you give this a try until the performance and other issues get sorted.

Thank you very much for your kind help.
In the past, I have already installed Nextcloud on an mini computer. However, as I am not so expert, I have made a few mistakes during the setup, and this is why I prefer and trust more the NextcloudPi image than myself ^^ (just download > Flash > answer the wizard > Done, wonderful !).
So I will wait (I hope not wait so long) until NachoParker come back, it seems he is not available since a few days, I have to be patient.
(09-06-2018, 04:01 AM)prog-amateur Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 02:46 PM)Luke Wrote: Hey. I recently set up Nextcloud on one of my 4GB Rock64 boards and its performing extremely well. I tried the NextcloudPi image and I was not quite happy with the performance. It could be because the image is based on an older build from ayufan (0.6.4 IIRC) or because of a combination of other things - I do not know, not an expert.
In any case, I flashed uboot to SPI and Armbian (because of a slightly higher default SOC and RAM freq) to my HDD.
Then I basically followed this tutorial and adjusted where necessary. The one thing the tutorial is missing is enabling cache - which I highly recommend you do once the installation is done. The entire setup took me 30 min flat, including port-forwarding, installing the apps I wanted, etc.,

Its now been running for 3 weeks with occasional heavy load and I've not had any issues with it. I also had no issues with installing the app to mount my NAS as a folder, using Nextcloud Talk (is that what its called ?) with family and fetching/ uploading things from my phone as well as sharing them online.

I think the NextcloudPi project is amazing, but I suggest you give this a try until the performance and other issues get sorted.

Thank you very much for your kind help.
In the past, I have already installed Nextcloud on an mini computer. However, as I am not so expert, I have made a few mistakes during the setup, and this is why I prefer and trust more the NextcloudPi image than myself ^^ (just download > Flash > answer the wizard > Done, wonderful !).
So I will wait (I hope not wait so long) until NachoParker come back, it seems he is not available since a few days, I have to be patient.

If you prefer ready to use images you can also consider this, i dont use nextcloud but i DO use syncthing and several other dockers and they all come ready to use, dependencies, setup, everything, exept your personal info and own setup ofc...
(09-06-2018, 02:15 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: If you prefer ready to use images you can also consider this, i dont use nextcloud but i DO use syncthing and several other dockers and they all come ready to use, dependencies, setup, everything, exept your personal info and own setup ofc...

Thank you very much. I will check, the only issue here is my knowledge, I have never tried docker, so I will read how it works and how to install it !
(09-07-2018, 08:03 AM)prog-amateur Wrote:
(09-06-2018, 02:15 PM)Trash_Can_Man Wrote: If you prefer ready to use images you can also consider this, i dont use nextcloud but i DO use syncthing and several other dockers and they all come ready to use, dependencies, setup, everything, exept your personal info and own setup ofc...

Thank you very much. I will check, the only issue here is my knowledge, I have never tried docker, so I will read how it works and how to install it !

Its easy, on most distros its just "sudo apt-get install docker" then use the command on the docker image webpage:
Code:
docker create \
   --name nextcloud \
   -p 443:443 \
   -e PUID=<UID> -e PGID=<GID> \
   -v </path/to/appdata>:/config \
   -v <path/to/data>:/data \
   lsioarmhf/nextcloud-aarch64

replace paths and PGID/PUID with your values, one important tip about the path, in that example "/path/to/appdata" refers to a path OUTSIDE the container and "/config" refers to a path INSIDE the container, containers are isolated from the underlying OS and this path creation is a way to cross easily that barrier...PGID and PUID refer to the user you want to use to run the WHOLE container, its a user OUTSIDE the container ofc and preferably it shouldnt be root and should have write permission to the set paths OUTSIDE...

finally you do:
Code:
docker start nextcloud

and your container is runing (give it time to start ofc, this one seems lightweight so i guess one minute should be more than enough), after this most containers have some form of admin webpage, never used nextcloud but a fair guess is that such admin page should be on http://ip-of-your-board:443 in this case since its opening that exact port

and btw its not detailed on the container webpage but i suggest to add "--restart=unless-stopped" to the creation command so if the docker is stopped for any reason it should restart (unless you stop it manually)

another suggestion, run this:
Code:
docker run -d -p 9000:9000 --name=portainer --net=host --restart=unless-stopped -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock -v /data:/data portainer/portainer
keep the docker.sock virtual path intact and change the data one, this install a docker container with portainer, a very good admin app for remote control of your dockers, start, stop, live log, changing settings, etc etc...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  lost eletronic component rock64 marvin1986 1 233 06-01-2021, 06:27 PM
Last Post: 8bit
Shocked Rock64 - Reboots after few minutes addezai 2 339 04-22-2021, 07:03 PM
Last Post: addezai
  Python GPIO Library for the Rock64 (R64.GPIO) Leapo 36 37,315 04-17-2021, 08:59 AM
Last Post: theophile
Question Hardware issues with Rock64 grobbs 10 1,308 04-08-2021, 05:24 AM
Last Post: t4_4t
  Rock64 Long Term stability ramprasad 4 1,751 03-16-2021, 07:23 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  Rock64 No Audio - Solved wbecks 11 14,989 03-15-2021, 03:15 PM
Last Post: lowry
  Safest way to send shutdown signal to headless Rock64 SMB server? bmurphr1 3 1,057 03-14-2021, 06:01 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Rock64 as a router (OpenWRT,etc) bob-anon 2 1,608 03-12-2021, 01:16 AM
Last Post: arkadione
  Rock64 enable 1-wire to read DS18B20 or Dallas temperature sensor Perry 2 1,196 02-12-2021, 08:02 PM
Last Post: Perry
  Will Mobian Run On Rock64? Porcupine 1 606 01-13-2021, 12:39 PM
Last Post: tophneal