LED Status Rock64
Does anyone know what the LED's mean when flashing? I have mine running fine but I have a flashing red LED that flashes twice.
(03-13-2018, 03:30 PM)Dayve Wrote: Does anyone know what the LED's mean when flashing? I have mine running fine but I have a flashing red LED that flashes twice.

The red LED is assigned as the 'standby' led... it could be that the trigger for it is disk activity (or heartbeat if that was a valid trigger at some point?)? If you want to check, see what trigger is bracketed when you run the following (first group of triggers will be standby led, second will be power led):

Code:
cat /sys/devices/platform/leds/leds/{standby-led,power-led}/trigger

On the current build I'm running, they have both defaulted to [none].

Code:
Linux rock64 4.4.114-rockchip-ayufan-193 #1 SMP Sun Mar 4 20:24:21 UTC 2018 aarch64 aarch64 aarch64 GNU/Linux

[none] rc-feedback kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock mmc0 mmc1
[none] rc-feedback kbd-scrolllock kbd-numlock kbd-capslock kbd-kanalock kbd-shiftlock kbd-altgrlock kbd-ctrllock kbd-altlock kbd-shiftllock kbd-shiftrlock kbd-ctrlllock kbd-ctrlrlock mmc0 mmc1
Hi,

I'm a newbie but would like to set the green or white LED to flash when there is disk activity. Would you be able to help in doing that?

Thanks.
Controllable LEDs are red and white LEDs
The green LED is a power supply lamp, it lights up when power is supplied.
Lighting can not be controlled.

> flash when there is disk activity
I think that it refers to things such as "USB-HDD", but it can not be done at present.
You need to add code to realize the function to the kernel.

----
With the latest Ver dts (4.4.120)
    linux, default-trigger = "disk-activity"
It already has the above setting.

But, the 4.4.xx kernel does not support this keyword(""disk-activity").
It is supported keyword  at Main-line-kernel (Ver 4.16.xx, ..)
But, this keyword is for activity of "ata-disk".

For this reason, in the current rock64, setting "disk-activity" is meaningless for any kernel.
As t4_4t commented above, the green led is coupled directly to the 5v input to indicate power is present, so you can't control that!

If you do a ...

Code:
sudo sh -c "echo 'mmc0' > /sys/devices/platform/leds/leds/standby-led/trigger"

... that should make the red led flash when there is activity on the eMMC. Change standby-led to power-led if you want the white one to flash. Replace mmc0 with mmc1 if you are using a SD card. Note that it only flash when there is activity on the specified device, not when there is activity on other devices (i.e. it will only flash when there is activity on the microSD if set to mmc1, and will not flash if it was set to mmc0).

I'll leave it to someone else to explain how to make it stick... as this setting will be lost on reboot. DTS overlay? Or just shove it in rc.local?
(04-19-2018, 05:25 AM)pfeerick Wrote: As t4_4t commented above, the green led is coupled directly to the 5v input to indicate power is present, so you can't control that!

If you do a ...

Code:

... that should make the red led flash when there is activity on the eMMC. Change  standby-led to  power-led if you want the white one to flash. Replace mmc0 with mmc1 if you are using a SD card. Note that it only flash when there is activity on the specified device, not when there is activity on other devices (i.e. it will only flash when there is activity on the microSD if set to mmc1, and will not flash if it was set to mmc0).

I'll leave it to someone else to explain how to make it stick... as this setting will be lost on reboot. DTS overlay? Or just shove it in rc.local?

Thank you for this! I have been playing around with this trying to figure a way out to getting the sda1 drive to trigger the red stand-by light. I went ahead and put sda and sda1 in the trigger file but the save won't hold. I go through the motions of savings and then when I am done, I pull another cat on trigger and it shows it as unchanged. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Is it pulling that data from somewhere else?

Thanks!

~T
(05-09-2018, 08:05 PM)mr.travo Wrote:
(04-19-2018, 05:25 AM)pfeerick Wrote: As t4_4t commented above, the green led is coupled directly to the 5v input to indicate power is present, so you can't control that!

If you do a ...

Code:

... that should make the red led flash when there is activity on the eMMC. Change  standby-led to  power-led if you want the white one to flash. Replace mmc0 with mmc1 if you are using a SD card. Note that it only flash when there is activity on the specified device, not when there is activity on other devices (i.e. it will only flash when there is activity on the microSD if set to mmc1, and will not flash if it was set to mmc0).

Thank you for this! I have been playing around with this trying to figure a way out to getting the sda1 drive to trigger the red stand-by light. I went ahead and put sda and sda1 in the trigger file but the save won't hold. I go through the motions of savings and then when I am done, I pull another cat on trigger and it shows it as unchanged. Any idea what I am doing wrong? Is it pulling that data from somewhere else?

Thanks!

~T

SDA? Is that in the list of valid triggers? It certainly wasn't on my system, as shown further up this thread. If it's not in that list, you can push it all you like, it'll probably be ignored as an invalid option.

Code:
(05-10-2018, 04:38 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(05-09-2018, 08:05 PM)mr.travo Wrote:

If you do a ...

Code:

Thanks!

~T

SDA? Is that in the list of valid triggers? It certainly wasn't on my system, as shown further up this thread. If it's not in that list, you can push it all you like, it'll probably be ignored as an invalid option.

Code:

No- you're right, it's not on the list. My question is which program determines what goes on that list? I am just wondering what all is "uphill" of triggers. Thanks for your help and input!

~T
(05-10-2018, 01:42 PM)mr.travo Wrote: No- you're right, it's not on the list. My question is which program determines what goes on that list? I am just wondering what all is "uphill" of triggers. Thanks for your help and input!

~T

That I'm not sure of... it may be a driver or something in the the device tree (DTS). The dts certainly seems to set the default... the power led is supposed to be 'on', and the standby led is supposed to be 'disk-activity', but I'm guessing the actual driver stuff doesn't support it atm (although from what someone else said in another thread it did at one point).
(05-10-2018, 07:44 PM)pfeerick Wrote:
(05-10-2018, 01:42 PM)mr.travo Wrote: No- you're right, it's not on the list. My question is which program determines what goes on that list? I am just wondering what all is "uphill" of triggers. Thanks for your help and input!

~T

That I'm not sure of... it may be a driver or something in the the device tree (DTS). The dts certainly seems to set the default... the power led is supposed to be 'on', and the standby led is supposed to be 'disk-activity', but I'm guessing the actual driver stuff doesn't support it atm (although from what someone else said in another thread it did at one point).

All of the triggers are part of the kernel. If you're configuring the kernel and go into 'make menuconfig', most of them are under Devices --> LED Support --> LED Trigger Support (but some are elsewhere). On my rock64's there's an 'mmc0' and 'mmc1' trigger available, and I'm able to use mmc0 to show activity on my emmc. I was looking for a similar trigger  that would show activity on my USB hard drive, but haven't found one. I didn't look very hard, though, because the drive I'm using has its own activity LED.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are HW design files available for ROCK64? irenek 3 4,528 12-11-2023, 09:31 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Rock64 is unreliable after 3 years of service - power problem? ReleaseTheGeese 0 278 11-23-2023, 05:05 AM
Last Post: ReleaseTheGeese
  Rock64 PoE compatbility with Pi4 Hatt recent Single Board Computer offering from PINE kharak 1 974 04-26-2023, 11:38 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Case for the rock64 that supports the POE hat. o1CRiMSON1o 0 576 03-21-2023, 03:48 PM
Last Post: o1CRiMSON1o
Brick Rock64 usb2.0 Power Control Floating GPIO Tutorial Files & Notes MarkHaysHarris777 6 13,038 01-15-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: ds00
  rock64 totally brick dakobg 2 1,646 11-07-2022, 05:45 PM
Last Post: olivercfc
  3D-Printable Button Pegs for the ROCK64 Aluminium Case CounterPillow 2 3,407 08-04-2022, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vicky Weimann PhD
  Where can I find the ROCK64 POE HAT Zoz 2 2,497 06-08-2022, 12:44 AM
Last Post: Zoz
Smile wooden case for ROCK64 killor 13 16,166 03-04-2022, 06:56 AM
Last Post: killor
  1wire DS18b20 on Rock64? mypineme 6 6,823 09-28-2021, 03:07 PM
Last Post: TRS-80