Disappointed That I Bought the 2GB model
(04-11-2016, 11:50 AM)wolfrock Wrote: Thank you for your support Harrisburg.

Any time. The forum should focus on exploring the Pine64 and getting it working, and not being condescending. Feel free to rate me a +1 if you agree. Smile

Quote:Thanks to lenny.raposo I am now running Debian, and sorting out some dependency issues needed to install lazarus.

Ditto -- I'm looking forwarding to getting Debian up and running. I'm a CentOS (server side) and Mint (laptop side) user by default, and this seems like a perfect opportunity to explore Debian in more depth.
workin' toward getting Argh installed Wink

https://www.stdin.xyz/downloads/people/l...archlinux/

seems like a good bet... then pacman everything
(04-11-2016, 11:50 AM)wolfrock Wrote:
(04-11-2016, 09:11 AM)Harrisburg Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 10:06 PM)quadband Wrote: What part of complaint that community supported, brand new hardware doesn't run his desktop environment of choice is *not* entitlement?

The part where the board doesn't support the OSes that the developers have advertised that it does. It's not like he was demanding that they immediately drop everything and fix it; he simply stated his disappointment that it didn't work. If you equate "a fair criticism" with "entitlement", then, well ... good luck.

Being condescending and accusing people of "whining" when they say something the least bit unflattering about your platform of choice isn't helping anyone. All your behavior does is cement a negative stereotype of the FOSS community. Try responding to criticism with helpful advice, like a list of the distros which have been put forth by the community.

Debian images: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?pid=5064#pid5064
Ubuntu, Arch, and others: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

Thank you for your support Harrisburg.

I have to say that as somebody who has not only supported OS for many years (my first commercial implementation was a proxy server using Mandrake 8) but uses nothing else outside ... That I was a little taken aback. After all I was only replying, with what I thought was a valid opinion to the op.

So I was disappointed by the vitriol

And here's the thing, not not only do I NOT have anything other than Fedora in house (and Debian)- but I thought sod it I'll stick Android on the pine and just use it as a Kodi box seeing as graphic accelerators are clearly going to be an issue for a while under linux, only to find out I NEED F'ing WINDOWS to that!!!!!!!! Thats disappointment!

Thanks to lenny.raposo I am now running Debian, and sorting out some dependency issues needed to install lazarus.

Replies like quadbands really do f' all to the reputation of open source in my opinion. Yes. I accept its new, Yes, I accept its in development and will evolve, but advertising with emotive terms like 'first supercomputer under $15' and branded - yes BRANDED - icons implying that there is more under the hood is deceptive to say the least.

I'm not quite so disappointed now; I have something to work with, but I am still angry at the attitude shown - and will concentrate my efforts in other areas.

Aww, I'm glad you two are bonding. BFF's for life. 

Truly the only vitriol in these forums are the people crying and complaining instead of working towards solutions that better the community. Let's not forget, you started with the name calling. Wink I'm sure you're blameless, though.  

The OSS community is a little like visiting a zoo. You have your majestic lions who laze about indifferently, the big parrots who like to copy everything, the schools of fish who blindly follow the other fish, and then the funny little monkies who fling poo. Sometimes the developers get sick of the monkies throwing crap, but in the end it seems we all get covered with it. 

Seriously, though. Glad you found a buddy. Best of luck in your endeavors.
(04-12-2016, 06:02 PM)quadband Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 10:06 PM)quadband Wrote: What part of complaint that community supported, brand new hardware doesn't run his desktop environment of choice is *not* entitlement?

The part where the board doesn't support the OSes that the developers have advertised that it does. It's not like he was demanding that they immediately drop everything and fix it; he simply stated his disappointment that it didn't work. If you equate "a fair criticism" with "entitlement", then, well ... good luck.

Being condescending and accusing people of "whining" when they say something the least bit unflattering about your platform of choice isn't helping anyone. All your behavior does is cement a negative stereotype of the FOSS community. Try responding to criticism with helpful advice, like a list of the distros which have been put forth by the community.

I have to say that as somebody who has not only supported OS for many years (my first commercial implementation was a proxy server using Mandrake 8) but uses nothing else outside ... That I was a little taken aback. After all I was only replying, with what I thought was a valid opinion to the op.

And here's the thing, not not only do I NOT have anything other than Fedora in house (and Debian)- but I thought sod it I'll stick Android on the pine and just use it as a Kodi box seeing as graphic accelerators are clearly going to be an issue for a while under linux, only to find out I NEED F'ing WINDOWS to that!!!!!!!! Thats disappointment!

Thanks to lenny.raposo I am now running Debian, and sorting out some dependency issues needed to install lazarus.

Replies like quadbands really do f' all to the reputation of open source in my opinion. Yes. I accept its new, Yes, I accept its in development and will evolve, but advertising with emotive terms like 'first supercomputer under $15' and branded - yes BRANDED - icons implying that there is more under the hood is deceptive to say the least.

I'm not quite so disappointed now; I have something to work with, but I am still angry at the attitude shown - and will concentrate my efforts in other areas.

Truly the only vitriol in these forums are the people crying and complaining instead of working towards solutions that better the community. Let's not forget, you started with the name calling. Wink I'm sure you're blameless, though.  

The OSS community is a little like visiting a zoo. You have your majestic lions who laze about indifferently, the big parrots who like to copy everything, the schools of fish who blindly follow the other fish, and then the funny little monkies who fling poo. Sometimes the developers get sick of the monkies throwing crap, but in the end it seems we all get covered with it. 

Now, my BFF's, how do we get this damn wiki edited?!  Do we have to make friends with a Wiki Moderator?
(04-12-2016, 07:01 PM)c0psrul3 Wrote: Now, my BFF's, how do we get this damn wiki edited?!  Do we have to make friends with a Wiki Moderator?

You could start a new thread about it to draw more attention to the issue.
(04-12-2016, 07:01 PM)c0psrul3 Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 06:02 PM)quadband Wrote:

Now, my BFF's, how do we get this damn wiki edited?!  Do we have to make friends with a Wiki Moderator?
If you interest to involve on wiki improvement, we are welcome and appreciate on the assistance. We plan to revamp the wiki page, make the page easier for first timer (freshman) to navigate, also also less confusing. Just PM khgoh.

(04-12-2016, 07:53 PM)SkairkrohBule Wrote:
(04-12-2016, 07:01 PM)c0psrul3 Wrote: Now, my BFF's, how do we get this damn wiki edited?!  Do we have to make friends with a Wiki Moderator?

You could start a new thread about it to draw more attention to the issue.

Thanks, message received :-)
FWIW, I'll be compiling PINE64 info on the elinux.org wiki.  I just got my board booting tonight, so content is forthcoming.

http://elinux.org/Pine64
(04-06-2016, 08:03 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: As promised here are the Mate, Xfce, Lxde and Base Debian images

Debian Base (Commandline) 240.4 MB
Debian Lxde Desktop 705.7 MB
Debian Xfce Desktop 713 MB
Debian Mate Desktop 678.3 MB

User: pine64user
Pass: password

Feedback appreciated

How do I expand the file system in Mate. 
BTW good job. Looks good so far
just found this thread, do any of these linux versions work properly with sound on the 2gb boards.
Did Anyone manage to boot their 2GB pine 64, Phoenix Card and win32 disk imager doesn't seem to work for me and when it does work it just freezes at the PIN64 boot screen.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know which Pine 64 model I have? stamminator 1 4,458 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: tllim
  disappointed Jschnee 6 8,570 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  very disappointed strontium62 7 9,310 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Beryllium
  Anyone else disappointed? MarkS 42 53,171 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Last Post: NishaPine