Disappointed That I Bought the 2GB model
I also have been very disappointed. That frankly being an understatement I wish I'd never bothered; however its here now so will try to make the best of a bad job. I do not like, and will never use Android on a device like this, yes on my phone and at a stretch on my tablet, but this? No. I have a Pi 2 which is use with Mate but it is just missing the mark, perhaps I should have waited for the Pi 3? Who knows. Good to see you guys working on a Mate offering, just downloading Mate image - well done guys ...
(04-09-2016, 01:27 PM)wolfrock Wrote: I also have been very disappointed. That frankly being an understatement I wish I'd never bothered; however its here now so will try to make the best of a bad job. I do not like, and will never use Android on a device like this, yes on my phone and at a stretch on my tablet, but this? No. I have a Pi 2 which is use with Mate but it is just missing the mark, perhaps I should have waited for the Pi 3? Who knows. Good to see you guys working on a Mate offering, just downloading Mate image - well done guys ...

I wish people like you would stay away from open source software and hardware. The sense of entitlement is overwhelming. If it's not handholding all the way from the gate to the finish line it's a, "bad job." What does Android support have to do with the board being bad? You do understand (who am I kidding, no you don't) that Linux for the ARM platform is very new? The Pine is booting Linux just fine. Mate is not Linux; it's a desktop environment. The only reason the Raspberry Pi has what they have is because of their huge community, of which Pine's has only just come into their infancy.
Of course I know what Mate is twat - theres no need to be condescending. Ive been supporting opensource projects since he late 90's and use nothing but outside of the work place. The reason I dont WANT to use Android is that I do not like it- or the technology, or who is behind it. I cetainly dont like having to use Google play. The reason Im disappointed is that I have a project that needs to be portable, preferably linux, and I dont really want to have to build my environment from the ground up to make things work. Its as simple as that.
(04-09-2016, 06:40 PM)wolfrock Wrote: Of course I know what Mate is twat - theres no need to be condescending. Ive been supporting opensource projects since he late 90's and use nothing but outside of the work place. The reason I dont WANT to use Android is that I do not like it- or the technology, or who is behind it. I cetainly dont like having to use Google play. The reason Im disappointed is that I have a project that needs to be portable, preferably linux, and I dont really want to have to build my environment from the ground up to make things work. Its as simple as that.

There is an overwhelming number of SBC's out there that should suit your needs, then, as opposed to brand new hardware. I never once suggested you use Android, so I'm not certain why you keep bringing it up. 

Here's the thing: you are whining about the board being bad, the project being bad, and the lack of ready to go software and drivers. By doing this you lump yourself with the people who know nothing and are unable to help themselves. If you're so savvy, which thus far you've not demonstrated, perhaps conduct yourself in a different manner.
His post was fair and reasonable. Exactly what part of being disappointed that the product doesn't run the advertised OSes do you consider to be "entitlement"?
(04-08-2016, 12:57 PM)Roverius Wrote: I have also received my 2Gb board today (8/4/2016) and was even supprised it has arrived.

BUT, in the pakkage there was a small 4-pin switch included.
The swithc looks like:
http://www.sky-macau.com/Product-Images/...316107.jpg

Any ideas whats the use of this?

Regards,
Roverius.

Its an optional reset button
I soldered mine on
Surprised they didnt do it

It goes right next to the USB ports
(04-10-2016, 04:57 PM)shaker68 Wrote:
(04-08-2016, 12:57 PM)Roverius Wrote: I have also received my 2Gb board today (8/4/2016) and was even supprised it has arrived.

BUT, in the pakkage there was a small 4-pin switch included.
The swithc looks like:
http://www.sky-macau.com/Product-Images/...316107.jpg

Any ideas whats the use of this?

Regards,
Roverius.

Its an optional reset button
I soldered mine on
Surprised they didnt do it

It goes right next to the USB ports

Not everyone wanted the switch soldered direct to the board, preferring to mount it on a case, perhaps (speaking for my own perspective).
(04-10-2016, 04:19 PM)Harrisburg Wrote: His post was fair and reasonable. Exactly what part of being disappointed that the product doesn't run the advertised OSes do you consider to be "entitlement"?

What part of complaint that community supported, brand new hardware doesn't run his desktop environment of choice is *not* entitlement? It runs Linux just fine. It runs Android. It's a development board, and a very inexpensive one at that. This is not an off the shelf, highly developed and polished device. The very nature of these devices mean it's your job (the community) to make it great.
(04-10-2016, 10:06 PM)quadband Wrote: What part of complaint that community supported, brand new hardware doesn't run his desktop environment of choice is *not* entitlement?

The part where the board doesn't support the OSes that the developers have advertised that it does. It's not like he was demanding that they immediately drop everything and fix it; he simply stated his disappointment that it didn't work. If you equate "a fair criticism" with "entitlement", then, well ... good luck.

Being condescending and accusing people of "whining" when they say something the least bit unflattering about your platform of choice isn't helping anyone. All your behavior does is cement a negative stereotype of the FOSS community. Try responding to criticism with helpful advice, like a list of the distros which have been put forth by the community.

Debian images: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?pid=5064#pid5064
Ubuntu, Arch, and others: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release
(04-11-2016, 09:11 AM)Harrisburg Wrote:
(04-10-2016, 10:06 PM)quadband Wrote: What part of complaint that community supported, brand new hardware doesn't run his desktop environment of choice is *not* entitlement?

The part where the board doesn't support the OSes that the developers have advertised that it does. It's not like he was demanding that they immediately drop everything and fix it; he simply stated his disappointment that it didn't work. If you equate "a fair criticism" with "entitlement", then, well ... good luck.

Being condescending and accusing people of "whining" when they say something the least bit unflattering about your platform of choice isn't helping anyone. All your behavior does is cement a negative stereotype of the FOSS community. Try responding to criticism with helpful advice, like a list of the distros which have been put forth by the community.

Debian images: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?pid=5064#pid5064
Ubuntu, Arch, and others: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/Pine_A6...re_Release

Thank you for your support Harrisburg.

I have to say that as somebody who has not only supported OS for many years (my first commercial implementation was a proxy server using Mandrake 8) but uses nothing else outside ... That I was a little taken aback. After all I was only replying, with what I thought was a valid opinion to the op.

So I was disappointed by the vitriol

And here's the thing, not not only do I NOT have anything other than Fedora in house (and Debian)- but I thought sod it I'll stick Android on the pine and just use it as a Kodi box seeing as graphic accelerators are clearly going to be an issue for a while under linux, only to find out I NEED F'ing WINDOWS to that!!!!!!!! Thats disappointment!

Thanks to lenny.raposo I am now running Debian, and sorting out some dependency issues needed to install lazarus.

Replies like quadbands really do f' all to the reputation of open source in my opinion. Yes. I accept its new, Yes, I accept its in development and will evolve, but advertising with emotive terms like 'first supercomputer under $15' and branded - yes BRANDED - icons implying that there is more under the hood is deceptive to say the least.

I'm not quite so disappointed now; I have something to work with, but I am still angry at the attitude shown - and will concentrate my efforts in other areas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I know which Pine 64 model I have? stamminator 1 4,458 01-10-2017, 08:36 PM
Last Post: tllim
  disappointed Jschnee 6 8,568 05-23-2016, 06:50 AM
Last Post: Luke
  very disappointed strontium62 7 9,302 05-02-2016, 11:05 PM
Last Post: Beryllium
  Anyone else disappointed? MarkS 42 53,168 04-24-2016, 06:09 PM
Last Post: NishaPine