How to u-boot to HDD?
Well, there's this thread by the moderator called Luke instructing how to boot Linux and "some" Android images from a USB device. The link to it is this: https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5610

I followed the instructions. I downloaded and burned ayufan's u-boot-flash-spi.img.xz image to my SD, waited for the Rock64 to start blinking, and then turned off to take the SD out. I then tried Pine64's own Android image AND Ayufan's TV version but none will boot off an externally powered HDD OR USB flash drive. The screen on my monitor doesn't even turn black or anything (no signal).

According to Luke's guide, I have to go to this link here: https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/ to check which images can be booted from SPI but I do not understand these hub pages at all. I've no idea where to even find a list of Android images that mention SPI.

I found this hub page titled "u-boot Android" or something but I have no clue what this page is even about: https://github.com/rock64-android/u-boot . I'm not Linux savvy to understand at all.

BTW, running Android through SD runs perfectly fine. But as we all know, SDs wear out -- especially for what I'll want to use the Rock64 for.
Responded to your PM. The fault is mine, that WiKi phrasing is misleading and I have edited the entry.
Currently only Linux is bootable from USB. I have, however, spoken about the ATV build with ayufan yesterday - he will look at ATV once done with releasing a stable 0.6.X Linux. I'll remind him about USB booting Android.

Sorry for the confusion.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(02-24-2018, 01:22 AM)Luke Wrote: Responded to your PM. The fault is mine, that WiKi phrasing is misleading and I have edited the entry.
Currently only Linux is bootable from USB. I have, however, spoken about the ATV build with ayufan yesterday - he will look at ATV once done with releasing a stable 0.6.X Linux. I'll remind him about USB booting Android.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi, any word from ayufan? You had told me that ayufan was going to release an updated version of Android in a week but it's been a month now. :/ My Rock64 has been collecting dust since it arrived.  Sad The USB booting feature is a must for my setup, unfortunately...
(03-23-2018, 03:10 PM)AkiraSensei Wrote:
(02-24-2018, 01:22 AM)Luke Wrote: Responded to your PM. The fault is mine, that WiKi phrasing is misleading and I have edited the entry.

Sorry for the confusion.

Hi, any word from ayufan? You had told me that ayufan was going to release an updated version of Android in a week but it's been a month now. :/ My Rock64 has been collecting dust since it arrived.  Sad The USB booting feature is a must for my setup, unfortunately...

AFAIK ayufan is in the middle of moving house at the moment, so no time for working on linux/android stuff atm Wink
(03-24-2018, 05:24 AM)pfeerick Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 03:10 PM)AkiraSensei Wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.

AFAIK ayufan is in the middle of moving house at the moment, so no time for working on linux/android stuff atm Wink

Ah, thanks for the update, pfeerick. Moving takes time and energy. I'll just have to wait another month or two.  Cry

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can't boot android 9 on rock64 maks2204 5 8,627 09-09-2020, 08:44 AM
Last Post: BowerR64
  Boot Android from USB? Max_H 3 6,426 09-09-2020, 08:26 AM
Last Post: BowerR64
  REMOVE ROCK64 BOOT LOGO aurel 2 3,414 03-17-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Rock64 With Android TV 7.1 Won't boot using 3.5mm power barrel Eric82 1 2,670 11-19-2018, 03:47 PM
Last Post: tllim
  how to get root for Android 7.1.2 Stock Image [eMMC Boot] [Rooted] [20171204] el_gringo 1 3,226 03-02-2018, 04:50 AM
Last Post: el_gringo
  Can't boot Android TV dshookowsky 10 11,192 01-27-2018, 05:43 AM
Last Post: garryjoshi
  How to launch SSH Server service at boot IlmarsM 0 1,797 10-26-2017, 02:51 AM
Last Post: IlmarsM
  Android TV, boot from Microsd card Jakr 3 5,381 08-05-2017, 12:28 PM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777