Android Security
All begins with a little step, so i started to question the android security. I am not a developer, so i only can ask for more security. If others hear it or not, i cannot change it. I am a customer, so if a product don't fit my needs i buy a other one. So i stay now with a odroid c2 who works for what i need it.
Dear isndw,

Security patches every month, means Firmware update over the air(FOTA), its a big platform.
I have seen even LineageOS(Cynogenmod) don't have it.

Its far big RnD than bringing-up device to market.

It even bring your device to more venerability, as update environment is different code than the code which build factory binary.

Regards.

(02-23-2018, 09:30 PM)r Wrote: The ROCK64 stock Android 8 targets to release on next two weeks. The PINE A64 will get Android 8 OS on late March, and PINE H64 will have first Android 7 OS release on next week.

@Rock64: I think its already 2 weeks + 3 days. Smile.

Is it bring-up on https://github.com/rockchip-linux/kernel ?

Thank you tllim.

Regards,
Birender Singh
Yes i know security upates means much work, but with android 8 and the projekt treble it could not be any more so much work.

Every month is perhaps to much work, but what is with every 3 month?

And what if the community support the effort? For example with fundraising like kickstarter or with patreon.com?

Is the upcoming android 8 build based on treble?
https://source.android.com/devices/architecture/treble

It is about OS Upgrade, not Update in same OS.

Earlier it was hard to OS up. Now it is easier.
Here a good explanation:

https://www.androidauthority.com/project-treble-818225/

To solve the hardware abstraction layer issue, Android O formalized the division between hardware sub systems like audio or camera, and their clients on the software side. These new formal divisions specify the interface between a HAL and its users. There are now around 60 formal interfaces for various hardware components, known as HIDLs.

The goal of a HIDL is to allow the framework to be replaced without having to rebuild HALs. HALs will be built by vendors or SoC makers and put in a /vendor partition on the device, enabling the framework, in its own partition, to be replaced with an over-the-air update (OTA) without recompiling the HALs.

Equally as important, Linux kernel long term support has recently been extended from 2 to 6 years for Project Treble. This means that major fixes to the kernel are no longer missed over a device’s longer term life cycle.

I think, important is also the long term support for the linux kernel:

https://www.xda-developers.com/linux-ker...rt-google/

With the extended long-term support kernel life, OEMs will no longer have to backport security patches from newer versions of the Linux kernel into the kernel version that they use on their devices. Instead, the patches will still be available for their devices

it is still a fantastic move which will help substantially both with Android’s current security update issues and with providing support for IoT devices for years to come. Making it easier to continue to support devices will make manufacturers more likely to extend support lives even further. It also is a key change for the ROM development scene, as it will allow developers to provide updates for older devices on legacy versions of Android with secure kernel versions for longer than before.

IoT devices often use legacy hardware for extended lifecycles (far longer than what we typically see with phones) and have limited budgets for software support, which currently results in an absolute mess of security bugs and unpatched devices that are constantly on and have full network access. It may not be possible to get these devices to be consistently updated to new kernel versions in the near future, across all manufacturers, but simplifying the work to “just” applying the latest patch for the kernel version that they are on may be enough to convince some companies to provide that basic level of ongoing security for their devices.

On GNU/Linux it is different, on android a security patch is in fact an upgrade. For example lineageos, there you have to download an entire image to apply the next security patch level. On GNU/Linux you have only update some packages to have the security fixes. Treble covers not only an upgrade from one android version to another but also upgrading images from the same android version. Security patches covers not only the android framework, it covers also  the kernel.

https://forum.xda-developers.com/project...h-t3742677

I am not a developer, so perhaps i don't understand all, but for what i understand, treble is not only for upgrading from one android version to another but also for upgrading from one android image to another in the same android version. I missunderstand something?
(02-23-2018, 09:30 PM)tllim Wrote: The ROCK64 stock Android 8 targets to release on next two weeks. The PINE A64 will get Android 8 OS on late March, and PINE H64 will have first Android 7 OS release on next week.

we are in happy anticipation. Are there any new release plans?
tllim...tllim...tllim...
(02-23-2018, 09:30 PM)tllim Wrote: The ROCK64 stock Android 8 targets to release on next two weeks. The PINE A64 will get Android 8 OS on late March, and PINE H64 will have first Android 7 OS release on next week.

Two weeks now almost finished.
Will it still be released in April 2018, I hope?

Other RK3328 manufacturer already released Android 8.

No updates for 5 months for Nougat with serious bugs still left, so an update is needed.

Thanks

This message above was posted Feb 23. As of April 6, there aren't any Rock64 Android 8.x images anywhere. Neither on the pine64.org site or elsewhere (Ayutan's still 7.x). Do folks think they will be available?
(04-06-2018, 06:23 PM)Poincare Wrote:

This message above was posted Feb 23. As of April 6, there aren't any Rock64 Android 8.x images anywhere. Neither on the pine64.org site or elsewhere (Ayutan's still 7.x). Do folks think they will be available?

"Targets" is not a  confirm the date , just  is targets , if you everyday read them chat log or forum will know rockchip haven't yet to release new rk3328 Android 8. That make sure you can find them update news

Tllim said : Android 8 still pending  rockchip release

Log   #Rock64 on date: 2018-03-30

Also PineA64 Allwinner  the Android 8  coming release

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=5854
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 Android Oreo 8.1 TV-Install adventures (Now Android 9.0) Rocklobster 5 5,099 08-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  How do I prepare/put Android on an SD card using etcher cdotsubo3000 3 5,902 06-27-2021, 02:43 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Android and SD Card gigagames 2 4,472 06-27-2021, 02:38 PM
Last Post: clach04
  Android Images (ROCK64) pineadmin 73 166,803 05-04-2021, 01:58 AM
Last Post: zet_lab
  Android 9.0 and Pluto on Rock64-1G missdeenola 1 3,942 03-12-2021, 01:38 PM
Last Post: Wizzard
  broken android microsd images jbach50 1 3,427 01-16-2021, 09:57 PM
Last Post: jimsurvak
  Android on Rock64 SD Problem ElBoluTony 3 5,884 10-07-2020, 12:10 PM
Last Post: ElBoluTony
  Error! Android Rockchip tools method BowerR64 0 2,528 09-18-2020, 08:12 PM
Last Post: BowerR64
Lightbulb Any older versions of Android for the Rock64? BowerR64 2 4,637 09-18-2020, 07:58 PM
  Can't boot android 9 on rock64 maks2204 5 8,624 09-09-2020, 08:44 AM