Debian (Raspbian-like)
considering there are over 9million raspberry Pi's out there mostly running Rasbian, it means a large and knowledgeable user base to tap into. A debian/rasbian version would allow a lot of cross talk to occur between the A64 and RPi users, which surely can't be a bad thing?
Brian Beuken,
Very old game programmer, teaching very young game programmers, a LOT of bad habits.
Lecturer in Games Programming @ BUas in The Netherlands. Author of The Fundamentals of C/C++ Game Programming. Check out my website www.scratchpadgames.net and feel free to join the forum even if you don't own the book.  
In an ideal world it would be great but it won't happen because of allwinner's lack of support.

They are notorious for bad vendor support in the linux community (probably why their soc is $5). They release updates for Android builds which contains proprietary binary drivers which require a lot of patch work in terms of getting it up and running on linux. Don't expect that to change and don't expect to use linux as a media center for watching movies.

Now if you plan on running headless/server the pine will do ok (provided it doesn't get overloaded/overheats). Don't expect to run a production quality kernel as the BSP is gonna be the closest thing to stable we are going to get imho (if you want to have working usb/ethernet/hdmi etc). Expect to recompile a lot if you wish to change video output modes (unless that changed who knows) and wish to use the board connected to a monitor/screen.

To get an idea of the challenges ahead look up allwinner's history in terms of the linux support and look up the Mali 400 history.

Also check out the work being accomplished by longsleep here on the development forums. See the issues arising and the compromises being made in terms of getting linux working on the pine. We have a long road ahead in terms of stability for the pine linux wise.

Just my 2 cents.

Before anyone jumps on me about my post keep in mind I have ordered

2x a64+ 2gb
4x a64+ 1gb

(will possibly add another 2x a64+ 1gb and 2x a64+ 2gb)

Knowing what I know about allwinner I am still backing this project and will participate in it's development when I get my boards in April (so longsleep if you read this count me in if you need a hand with anything).
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
(03-12-2016, 10:19 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: In an ideal world it would be great but it won't happen because of allwinner's lack of support.

They are notorious for bad vendor support in the linux community (probably why their soc is $5). They release updates for Android builds which contains proprietary binary drivers which require a lot of patch work in terms of getting it up and running on linux. Don't expect that to change and don't expect to use linux as a media center for watching movies.

Now if you plan on running headless/server the pine will do ok (provided it doesn't get overloaded/overheats). Don't expect to run a production quality kernel as the BSP is gonna be the closest thing to stable we are going to get imho (if you want to have working usb/ethernet/hdmi etc). Expect to recompile a lot if you wish to change video output modes (unless that changed who knows) and wish to use the board connected to a monitor/screen.

To get an idea of the challenges ahead look up allwinner's history in terms of the linux support and look up the Mali 400 history.

Also check out the work being accomplished by longsleep here on the development forums. See the issues arising and the compromises being made in terms of getting linux working on the pine. We have a long road ahead in terms of stability for the pine linux wise.

Just my 2 cents.

Do you tired  ?
If I am wrong please correct my content , thank !

1. Use Pine64 Running Ubuntu 16.04 Web Server ( LAMP )

2. Use Pine64 Running Official Android 6  for Media player
3. Use Pine64 Running Volumio Digital Audio Player

(03-12-2016, 10:32 AM)joe Wrote:
(03-12-2016, 10:19 AM)lenny.raposo Wrote: In an ideal world it would be great but it won't happen because of allwinner's lack of support.

Just my 2 cents.

Do you tired  ?

Why the snarky attitude mate. Did you not read my post?

Cheers Big Grin
Debian would be great for this. Ideal combo
>>>Please always follow rules and read before you post<<<
Debian images are up check

Linux General > Debian on the forums Wink

Cheers Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Arch, Debian or other for Pinebook? cootcraig 3 6,163 05-01-2019, 09:11 AM
Last Post: cootcraig
  Found this fully working RASPBIAN Image that boots to desktop speedro86 21 28,303 10-07-2017, 10:06 PM
Last Post: speedro86
  Pine64 will be supported by HypriotOS (a Debian Jessie based OS for running Docker) Quintus23M 9 16,680 02-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Netatalk on Debian pictus 10 13,464 09-28-2016, 08:01 AM
Last Post: wojciech_czyz
  How to make multicast working on ubuntu and debian brengthdom 3 6,918 09-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Last Post: brengthdom
  SSH for noobs on Debian robertnew 12 18,601 05-07-2016, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Leoncito81
  Minimal 64bit ARM RootFS for Debian and Ubuntu umiddelb 46 63,436 03-06-2016, 10:28 AM
Last Post: umiddelb
  1st Debian image and further information umiddelb 13 20,280 03-04-2016, 02:08 AM
Last Post: umiddelb