Offer to help with porting Linux OS
May I first state that as soon as I heard about this board I backed it immediately. It sounds a lovely piece of hardware.

That said, I have purchased many boards that sound great but fail when it comes to using the board for anything except for the demo software installed. I bet a lot of us have been bitten there.

I would like to offer my experience with SOC to get Linux working on the Pine64 board.
I am familiar with compiling and developing on ARM hardware.
As an example of my work I was the first (only?) person to get the SAMA5D3-Xplained board working with a 4.3 inch LCD TFT display. See http://www.element14.com/community/group...lcd-bundle

I know that a board will succeed or fail depending on how easy it is for others to start using it and I feel that this board deserves more than becoming another one in the pile of "ah well" boards I have.

Greg
(12-19-2015, 05:00 AM)gregoryfenton Wrote: May I first state that as soon as I heard about this board I backed it immediately. It sounds a lovely piece of hardware.

That said, I have purchased many boards that sound great but fail when it comes to using the board for anything except for the demo software installed. I bet a lot of us have been bitten there.

I would like to offer my experience with SOC to get Linux working on the Pine64 board.
As an example of my work I was the first (only?) person to get the SAMA5D3-Xplained board working with a 4.3 inch LCD TFT display. See http://www.element14.com/community/group...lcd-bundle

I know that a board will succeed or fail depending on how easy it is for others to start using it and I feel that this board deserves more than becoming another one in the pile of "ah well" boards I have.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Thanks on your support offer on Pine64, I can immediately ship an early batch board to you once release on early January.

Regards,
TL Lim
Thank you for considering me worthy of working alongside your team to ensure the Pine board has the best chance of success.

Have a merry Christmas and a prosperous 2016.

Greg
(12-19-2015, 05:00 AM)gregoryfenton Wrote: May I first state that as soon as I heard about this board I backed it immediately. It sounds a lovely piece of hardware.

Hi Greg,
As you mentioned, the quality of the SW stack makes it. I have also a Pi and a CI20 MIPS board and while the spec of the CI20 is by far better than the Pi, it is unusable due to a poor sw stack and I suspect HW bugs (always hard to prove).
The biggest issue I foresee with the Pine64 is the GPU drivers: the Banana pi has the same kind of chips and video/3D is really an issue.
The Dragonboard 410 is available, while a bit more expensive than the Pine. It is likely to have less issues with graphics thanks to the freedreno driver. The Lima driver look inactive for the last 2 years ...
I hope things will evolve a bit in the right direction !
Cheers,
Jerome
(12-19-2015, 07:01 AM)gregoryfenton Wrote: Thank you for considering me worthy of working alongside your team to ensure the Pine board has the best chance of success.

Have a merry Christmas and a prosperous 2016.

Greg

Wishes you have a merry Christmas and happy New Year.     .... TL Lim and family.

Greg

I'll be doing the same on my end when I get mine in April. I am a Linux SysAdmin and have been working with Linux since '99. Let me know where you start and I'll tag team with you
Guys, if you want to get "bleeding edge" of Linux support for Pine check out linux-sunxi website and IRC channel. There is plenty of work to get mainline kernel with all the peripherals running on the Pine.
Thanks both.

Greg

@tllim As an aside, when will the early batch board be shipped to me?
(01-23-2016, 02:41 PM)gregoryfenton Wrote: Thanks both.

Greg

@tllim As an aside, when will the early batch board be shipped to me?

Please PM me your info, I will take care.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NEMS Linux 1.5 Released for A64/A64+, A64-LTS/SOPine, Rock64, RockPro64 (NAGIOS) Baldnerd 4 9,072 03-28-2020, 06:20 PM
Last Post: ty1911
  Howto run Linux with resolution other than 1080p longsleep 28 65,591 06-13-2019, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Nilda
  NEMS Linux for Pine A64 (+) Luke 1 5,019 05-09-2019, 05:42 PM
Last Post: pineadmin
  Pine Board using linux stuck during boot sequence ktaragorn 4 8,043 03-30-2019, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ktaragorn
  Gentoo Linux test image xalius 23 47,862 01-28-2019, 11:05 PM
Last Post: necrose99
  Real-time linux kernel Artyom 45 70,815 09-11-2018, 01:08 AM
Last Post: zzwpine
  linux distribution hazerty 3 6,001 04-01-2018, 02:48 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Linux Web Server OS harcrow 2 5,708 01-30-2018, 10:26 AM
Last Post: Rustproof
  eta linux image?? firosiro 1 3,982 08-03-2017, 10:05 PM
Last Post: pfeerick
  Can I run Alpine Linux on Pine64? douglasmiranda 3 8,235 08-01-2017, 07:20 AM