SD Maximum storage???
Hi All, this is my first post.  Smile

I bought a Rock64 mainly to retroplay, I would like to know the how many gigabyte can handle Rock64, I mean can I buy a 128gb sd card? Or am I limited to 64gb?  Huh

If you also suggest me a good sd card (I am not a expert at all) it would be really appreciate!

Best regards,

Danielsan
(01-17-2018, 10:35 AM)Danielsan Wrote: Hi All, this is my first post.  Smile

I bought a Rock64 mainly to retroplay, I would like to know the how many gigabyte can handle Rock64, I mean can I buy a 128gb sd card? Or am I limited to 64gb?  Huh

If you also suggest me a good sd card (I am not a expert at all) it would be really appreciate!

Best regards,

Danielsan

I believe that the answer to your question is 128GB micro SD (someone smarter will come along soon I'm sure and correct me if I am wrong). But I have a suggestion, if you have an old HDD from a laptop or can pick one up on the cheap (locally I can get a 160GB drive for £8) the use that instead with SPI and just boot from USB.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(01-17-2018, 04:00 PM)Luke Wrote: I believe that the answer to your question is 128GB micro SD (someone smarter will come along soon I'm sure and correct me if I am wrong). But I have a suggestion, if you have an old HDD from a laptop or can pick one up on the cheap (locally I can get a 160GB drive for £8) the use that instead with SPI and just boot from USB.

Thanks for your reply, that's pretty cool indeed.

I wonder if I could use an USB3 external disk 2.5 the one without power supply. I have PI2 connected to an external hd but it has its own power supply and I don't want another hd on the tv-stand. Actually I would like to have something that I can take on /take off when I need. 

Basically I found a website where is written the maximum capacity is 64gb (https://www.board-db.org/compare/202,192,83,12/), unfortunately I didn't find a confirmation on the official documentation available from the Pine64 website.

I also thought that I could use the sd card and emmc (64 + 64) together, but I am not pretty sure you can use both a the same time.
USB 3.0 is capable of delivering more power to the HDD than USB 2.0, so yes - you can boot directly from USB 3.0 on the board.
edit: you can't boot android this way ... yet ... may be possible by the time you get your unit.

(01-18-2018, 12:40 AM)Luke Wrote: USB 3.0 is capable of delivering more power to the HDD than USB 2.0, so yes - you can boot directly from USB 3.0 on the board.
edit: you can't boot android this way ... yet ... may be possible by the time you get your unit.

Sorry, I wasn't been clear.
I would like to avoid plugging another hard drive to my electrical current, I don't believe that Rock64 power supply is able to supply alone an usb 3 hard drive. I want use the Rock64 when I need without bringing every time an hard drive with it. I have already a PI2 that boots from an external drive so I don't want another hd on my tv stand.
It can supply power to a 2.5" USB 3.0 HDD on the USB 3.0 port just fine (900mha).
Regardless, I am 99% sure that 128Gb is the max supported SD capacity. I'll double check and edit this post within 24hrs to confirm.

edit: so even larger capacity SDs work. But 128Gb is safe.

(01-18-2018, 01:33 PM)Luke Wrote: It can supply power to a 2.5" USB 3.0 HDD on the USB 3.0 port just fine (900mha).
Regardless, I am 99% sure that 128Gb is the max supported SD capacity. I'll double check and edit this post within 24hrs to confirm.

edit: so even larger capacity SDs work. But 128Gb is safe.

Thanks Luke, I really appreciate, you were been awesome!

128gb is more than enough for my scope, I need just to find out a good sd card now.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 v2 Locking Up when Accessing External Storage theGAXman 2 3,103 01-14-2020, 05:44 AM
Last Post: tomarm
  Plastic storage box for Rock64 matwey 1 2,526 06-18-2019, 10:56 PM
Last Post: tllim