VPN not working at all - Hardware issue
Exclamation 
I just tested VPN on Armbian image on my Pinebook. It looks like Pinebook is having some hardware issues, I am quite sure because I tested VPN on all images and always the same thing. On every single device that I have things are working fine, so it must be some issue with Pinebook itself.

Can you please bring some light to this topic, there are already couple of topics about VPN not working and no response so far??? It would be at least fair to tell us that VPN is not possible on Pinebook at all.

Thank you.
(01-10-2018, 06:03 PM)amilino Wrote: I just tested VPN on Armbian image on my Pinebook. It looks like Pinebook is having some hardware issues, I am quite sure because I tested VPN on all images and always the same thing. On every single device that I have things are working fine, so it must be some issue with Pinebook itself.

Can you please bring some light to this topic, there are already couple of topics about VPN not working and no response so far??? It would be at least fair to tell us that VPN is not possible on Pinebook at all.

Thank you.

I have no issues connecting to openvpn - private at home and tunnelbear. Ubuntu Mate build.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I have Airvpn, it is working on my windows 10, Android phone and Raspberry PI 3. Same configuration files are not working on Pinebook. Tried on Android 6, 7.1, Armbian. Today I will try on Ubuntu Xenial image and let you know.

Have you tried to do some traffic after successful connection, in my case connection is established but no traffic is sent out or received? The same behavior is on all 3 builds.
Same thing on Ubuntu Mate build!

Ok it seams to work now. I had to check if those packages are on Mate:
network-manager-openvpn
network-manager-openvpn-gnome
network-manager-pptp
network-manager-vpnc

And had to start open vpn directly, network manager is not working!!! But now I am wondering why it is not working on Android with OpenVPN for Android application. Anyway I don't use Android on Pinebook any more so it is ok.
Well, then you're doing something wrong. Look here.

Two suggestions: First, disable ipv6 and try connecting. Second, build OpenVPN 2.4.4 from source; for instance, TunnelBear required 2.4.4 to work.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Video is not proving things. Smile For me connection is also working, but when you for an example want to open webpage in Firefox it is not working!

I am avoiding building things from source it is pain in the ass, if I don't find PPA I just avoid compiling things. Ipv6 is disabled.

Hopefully latest Ubuntu will be available one day in Armbian. Armbian is working really fast and stable i am satisfied so far, other Pinebook builds are not suited for me.
With Ubuntu Mate build it is working fine, but on Armbian not. Stupid prehistoric 16.04.
Now I need to see what is missing on Armbian. Sad
Ok, finally I figure it out. If I change DNS server address on my wifi connection from 8.8.8.8 to same ip like default gateway things are working fine, but only from command line. Enabling VPN over network manager is still not working.
I also have no issue connecting ExpressVPN and also didn't get any issue about internet speed and anonymous browsing.
It doesn't matter anymore, I cannot boot Arch Linux to have all latest packages like Kodi for example, I don't like idea of having LTS versions of distro like Ubuntu Mate or Armbian.
Hopefully one day a good distro will be out and working in my case and then I will bring my Pinebook back on the table from dust, until then I am playing with my perfect RPI3 with Raspbian Stretch.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook HDMI not working DarkShadow 3 5,002 05-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Last Post: DarkShadow
  Pinebook Pro Network diagnostics hardware xavi 3 4,427 05-01-2019, 09:53 PM
Last Post: tllim
  pinebook 14" sd card slot stopped working eclay 3 4,636 12-03-2018, 01:51 PM
Last Post: dkryder
  Pinebook stopped working completely n3rDy 13 10,517 01-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Last Post: tllim