Extending power / reset button
Does anyone know of a way to extend the power and reset buttons on the rock 64? Either a script for the pi2 bus or even resoldering the power button connections would work. I am a little hesitant with second option, since I do not want to damage the board. Any help would be appreciated
Looking at the schematic, both the RESET and POWER_ON buttons are directly wired to the SoC/PMIC and can't be rerouted to the headers or elsewhere without soldering the buttons or some other attached part. Both buttons work by pulling their signal to GND (active low). So one leg of the button is GND... both lines have some ESD protection versus the button pads so extending them with cables shouldn't be too much trouble...
Come have a chat in the Pine IRC channel >>
(12-15-2017, 03:03 PM)xalius Wrote: Looking at the schematic, both the RESET and POWER_ON buttons are directly wired to the SoC/PMIC and can't be rerouted to the headers or elsewhere without soldering the buttons or some other attached part. Both buttons work by pulling their signal to GND (active low). So one leg of the button is GND... both lines have some ESD protection versus the button pads so extending them with cables shouldn't be too much trouble...

Are there any temperature sensitive components on the rock64? That was my main concern.

(12-15-2017, 03:03 PM)xalius Wrote: Looking at the schematic, both the RESET and POWER_ON buttons are directly wired to the SoC/PMIC and can't be rerouted to the headers or elsewhere without soldering the buttons or some other attached part.

I did research this idea a little, and as expected, there is very little community support for programming a button through the gpio pins. I guess that is because this is a fairly new product
what exactly is your solution for power management through gpio pins? my understanding is there is no 5v in that is broken out to the headers. so what is this "no community support" you are talking about? what header pins can be used to control power to the board?
(12-16-2017, 05:55 AM)dkryder Wrote: what exactly is your solution for power management through gpio pins? my understanding is there is no 5v in that is broken out to the headers. so what is this "no community support" you are talking about? what header pins can be used to control power to the board?

For the Raspberry Pi's, the community has had a lot of time to figure things out. I worked with pi's a little, and found tons of solutions on the forums to problems I was having. That is not the case with this community. I am not trying to offend anyone here, I am just saying that this product is pretty new so that people haven't had a lot of time to experiment with every aspect of the rock64. There are a lot of helpful people on this forum who know a lot of things about this board. Also, here is the layout for the gpio pins and their purpose. http://synfare.com/599N105E/hwdocs/rock64/index.html
the 5V header pins are to supply 5V power "to components" that you want to "power from" the rock64. i don't see any" 5VDC IN " header pins. by this i mean pins that are designed to allow a 5V DC power supply to input 5VDC to the board. to use pins designed to power components from the board to supply power to the board is risky and the fact that the community has not offered a solution is because there isn't one. of course if you have a solution then let us hear about it. and another thing, the community that surrounds the pine64 products is damn great in my opinion and i have been involved in this community for ~18 months. it looks like you have been officially involved for ~1 month, so to say the community does not offer solutions is a mis-statement of the facts. all one has to do is read this forum and the chat logs to realize your opinion of what this community does is just b.s.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 is unreliable after 3 years of service - power problem? ReleaseTheGeese 0 278 11-23-2023, 05:05 AM
Last Post: ReleaseTheGeese
Brick Rock64 usb2.0 Power Control Floating GPIO Tutorial Files & Notes MarkHaysHarris777 6 13,038 01-15-2023, 10:36 AM
Last Post: ds00
  power connector type please AlexS 4 4,510 01-11-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Alternative power supply ju0n 0 968 09-06-2022, 02:46 AM
Last Post: ju0n
  3D-Printable Button Pegs for the ROCK64 Aluminium Case CounterPillow 2 3,407 08-04-2022, 01:31 AM
Last Post: Vicky Weimann PhD
  Recovery button stephen fleming 5 8,299 01-26-2021, 12:33 PM
Last Post: PDXpi
  Power Supply and Sinks for multi-Rock64 env Davo-CC 1 4,377 01-02-2020, 02:26 PM
Last Post: dpgraham
  Using a stronger power supply myn4m3 1 2,817 06-23-2019, 05:01 PM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  USB3 enough to power 2,5 external HDD? va88 11 13,864 06-06-2019, 03:40 PM
Last Post: va88
  How to check if my power supply is underperforming? va88 3 4,474 06-02-2019, 05:59 PM
Last Post: va88