Most stable OS for Kodi on Rock64?
Hey guys,

I recently got a Rock64 with hopes of running LibreElec on it but there are too many issues with the build at the moment. I hope to eventually go back to Raybuntu's LibreElec build in the future when it is more stable, but for the time being it would be nice to have something that runs a little smoother. I only plan on using the Rock for Kodi.

I figure that Android is the most stable OS to install for Kodi, but idk how well it runs on Rock chip. As far as I know, in the past there were issues. Are there still issues with rock chip and Kodi on android?

My best guess would be that Android 7.1 would be the most stable, but if the ayufan Android TV build runs smooth for Kodi that might be a better option.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated  Smile

Edit: I should also add that with Kodi, I only plan on streaming content with 1080p being the max resolution. If any other information is needed, let me know.
(12-03-2017, 12:34 AM)Sauromayne Wrote: Hey guys,

I recently got a Rock64 with hopes of running LibreElec on it but there are too many issues with the build at the moment. I hope to eventually go back to Raybuntu's LibreElec build in the future when it is more stable, but for the time being it would be nice to have something that runs a little smoother. I only plan on using the Rock for Kodi.

I figure that Android is the most stable OS to install for Kodi, but idk how well it runs on Rock chip. As far as I know, in the past there were issues. Are there still issues with rock chip and Kodi on android?

My best guess would be that Android 7.1 would be the most stable, but if the ayufan Android TV build runs smooth for Kodi that might be a better option.

Edit: I should also add that with Kodi, I only plan on streaming content with 1080p being the max resolution. If any other information is needed, let me know.

Ayufan's or the Stock Android build will do just fine.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-03-2017, 10:24 AM)Luke Wrote:

Do you know if issues with the rock chip and Kodi on android still exist? (Such as auto refresh rate not working)
(12-03-2017, 12:05 PM)Sauromayne Wrote:

Do you know if issues with the rock chip and Kodi on android still exist? (Such as auto refresh rate not working)

They do to a degree; it does not affect 1080p playback in any way however.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(12-03-2017, 12:34 PM)FLuke Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 12:05 PM)Sauromayne Wrote:

They do to a degree; it does not affect 1080p playback in any way however.

Good to know! Thank you for your help.
I have my rock64 (4gb) running android tv (ayudan) and I installed kodi and vlc and works very well.
Also, I installed Netflix (via apk) and works great.
My main inconvenience is the Bluetooth support.
I have a Bluetooth dongle that works on Linux but doesn't work on Android.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk
(12-04-2017, 11:21 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote: I have my rock64 (4gb) running android tv (ayudan) and I installed kodi and vlc and works very well.

So you are playing videos through VLC rather than Kodi? Did you have any issues with Kodi’s media player or do you just prefer VLC?
(12-04-2017, 11:25 AM)Sauromayne Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:21 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote: I have my rock64 (4gb) running android tv (ayudan) and I installed kodi and vlc and works very well.

So you are playing videos through VLC rather than Kodi? Did you have any issues with Kodi’s media player or do you just prefer VLC?
I have VLC because I installed an app IP TV that use vlc for play de videos (live streaming). I didn't play a lot with kodi, but I am able to see my full HD movies without issues.

(12-04-2017, 11:28 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote:

I have VLC because I installed an app IP TV that use vlc for play de videos (live streaming). I didn't play a lot with kodi, but I am able to see my full HD movies without issues.

Alright sweet thanks for the help!
(12-04-2017, 11:33 AM)Sauromayne Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:28 AM)cristobalhdez Wrote:

I have VLC because I installed an app IP TV  that use vlc for play de videos (live streaming). I didn't play a lot with kodi, but I am able to see my full HD movies without issues.

Alright sweet thanks for the help!

Curious around Netflix. Do you know which APK you used on the Android TV build? Did you use the tablet mode build, or the ATV Specific one that you get on Sony TV, Nvidia Shield and MiiBox etc? I have had no luck using the ATV version, and am relegated to using the tablet mode version which is not very usable with my remote that I use via FLiRC infrared dongle. 

If you  know which version we can hack up to work with ATV and display the proper Netflix icon in leanback UI (versus having to use Sideload launcher) that would be great!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64 No Audio @ Debian 12 dmitrymyadzelets 1 112 03-18-2024, 06:56 AM
Last Post: diederik
  Rock64 bricked shawwwn 7 5,448 03-17-2024, 12:22 PM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot luminosity7 10 3,863 03-16-2024, 08:33 AM
  Rock64 doesn't boot dstallmo 1 254 03-16-2024, 08:29 AM
  How well does Rock64 deal with HDR and Atmos on Kodi? drvlikhell 3 1,769 04-29-2023, 04:24 AM
Last Post: newestssd
  OpenWRT on the Rock64 CanadianBacon 12 7,790 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: arunkhan
  Rock64 board not working, no HDMI no Ethernet. EDited 3 3,393 01-17-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Flagtrax
  ROCK64 v3 can it boot from USB? Tsagualsa 4 1,972 11-29-2022, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Macgyver
  rock64 v3 spiflash Macgyver 0 703 11-28-2022, 02:18 PM
Last Post: Macgyver
  my rock64 dosen't work rookie_267 0 904 10-07-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: rookie_267