No signs of life - what am I doing wrong?
Let me first say that I have over 40 years of computer and electronics experience and have worked on many different sizes and types of systems.  I own a number of one-board systems including several other ARM-based projects that I backed on KS. In each case I was able to easily verify within hours of delivery that I had received a working board.

I just received my 2 gig Pine64+ and I'm having the same challenge as other new Pine64 recipients here - I've burned RemixOS to a 16gb Class 10 card using the PhoenixCard tool as shown in the video.  I connect HDMI and Ethernet, insert the MicroSD card, making sure it clicks all the way in, and then plug in my power connection to the MicroUSB connector.  The power light goes on but nothing else happens, even if I leave the board alone for more than 30 minutes.  I am seeing the activity lights on the Ethernet jack flicker, further confirming that the board has power, but absolutely nothing else happens.

1. Is there something else we have to do to force the board to start up and boot?
2. How long is it reasonable to wait before we see some sign of life from the board?
3. Is there any progress indication while the board is performing its initial boot?

It is amazing to me that there is not some sort of OOB write-up or video available for this board, as there has been for every other board I have worked with. If nothing else, this would assure each backer that they had not just bought a brick. I honestly do not believe that the developers of Pine64 have met the minimum standard for releasing a product.  Instead of rushing to get the basic hardware in the mail by the end of March, the right thing to do would have been to delay shipping until a better first experience could be made available. Those of us who have been in the trenches and know how hard it is to bring in a large project on schedule would have understood completely.
(04-01-2016, 07:40 PM)bratoff Wrote: Let me first say that I have over 40 years of computer and electronics experience and have worked on many different sizes and types of systems.  I own a number of one-board systems including several other ARM-based projects that I backed on KS. In each case I was able to easily verify within hours of delivery that I had received a working board.

I just received my 2 gig Pine64+ and I'm having the same challenge as other new Pine64 recipients here - I've burned RemixOS to a 16gb Class 10 card using the PhoenixCard tool as shown in the video.  I connect HDMI and Ethernet, insert the MicroSD card, making sure it clicks all the way in, and then plug in my power connection to the MicroUSB connector.  The power light goes on but nothing else happens, even if I leave the board alone for more than 30 minutes.  I am seeing the activity lights on the Ethernet jack flicker, further confirming that the board has power, but absolutely nothing else happens.

1. Is there something else we have to do to force the board to start up and boot?
2. How long is it reasonable to wait before we see some sign of life from the board?
3. Is there any progress indication while the board is performing its initial boot?

It is amazing to me that there is not some sort of OOB write-up or video available for this board, as there has been for every other board I have worked with. If nothing else, this would assure each backer that they had not just bought a brick. I honestly do not believe that the developers of Pine64 have met the minimum standard for releasing a product.  Instead of rushing to get the basic hardware in the mail by the end of March, the right thing to do would have been to delay shipping until a better first experience could be made available. Those of us who have been in the trenches and know how hard it is to bring in a large project on schedule would have understood completely.

Hi, 

I do not have a board but have read about Ethernet issues. Have you tried booting without the Ethernet cable plugged in?
As one old timer to anothet, I don't think it's you.  I've had success loading Android but not RemixOS.  Although I've gotten a partial boot with Remix my first attempts were failures due to cheap USB cords and power supplies. 

Try another OS and a dedicated quality power supply.

-Good luck
Thanks for the fast responses and encouragement.  So far I've tried both Arch and Remix using several different USB cords and power sources including one that's capable of providing about 10 amps at 5 volts !  I've tried with the Ethernet unplugged and when that didn't work, I even unplugged the keyboard and mouse from the USB port. In all cases, the HDMI jack isn't even putting out sync - the board is completely dead except for the power light.

You know, other boards like this have an activity light for the SD slot, a flashing light in the watchdog loop, etc. - something / anything to let you know that the board is active.  With the Pine64, you just have to guess.

If I can't figure out how to get this thing working over the weekend, I think I'm just going to pack it up and put it on the shelf for a few months while the team (hopefully) gets their act together. I enjoy a good technical challenge as much as the next guy, but at the moment this is like assembling an all-one-color jigsaw puzzle with the lights out.
Agreed an activity light or s see series of flashes would be a great help. I swear I can sometimes hear the sound of a hard drive head seeking during bootup. Then I know it's time for more Scotch.
I'm having the EXACT same issue as Bratoff...nothing I do gets a response from anything.

Cables, OSs, Power Supplies.
Every combination I can think of.

It never even kicks the monitor out of sleep.
(04-01-2016, 07:40 PM)bratoff Wrote: Let me first say that I have over 40 years of computer and electronics experience and have worked on many different sizes and types of systems.  I own a number of one-board systems including several other ARM-based projects that I backed on KS. In each case I was able to easily verify within hours of delivery that I had received a working board.

Please make sure that the Phoenixcard write mode set to "startup".

(04-01-2016, 07:47 PM)HeadShot Wrote: As one old timer to anothet, I don't think it's you.  I've had success loading Android but not RemixOS.  Although I've gotten a partial boot with Remix my first attempts were failures due to cheap USB cords and power supplies. 

Try another OS and a dedicated quality power supply.

-Good luck

If you have the Pine A64+ 2GB board, Remix OS sometimes may not work and Remix folks already aware on this, hopefully we will release new Remox OS build to resolve this issue.
(04-01-2016, 10:26 PM)tllim Wrote: If you have the Pine A64+ 2GB board, Remix OS sometimes may not work and Remix folks already aware on this, hopefully we will release new Remox OS build to resolve this issue.

You need to provide user feedback through the other LED. Best place would be already in u-boot (then the second led can be lit up within seconds) or provide one single test image as suggested already: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?t...91#pid4691

BTW: It seems users try to burn Linux images with Phoenix Card (can't work) so this is also something you should add to a printed Quick Start guide (and an online FAQ of course)
I was having the same issues, tried multiple adapters, cables, etc.  My issue ended up being my monitor. It's an older screen hooked up with a dvi to HDMI cable.  I tried on a different screen and it booted up right away.
(04-01-2016, 07:40 PM)bratoff Wrote: I just received my 2 gig Pine64+ and I'm having the same challenge as other new Pine64 recipients here - I've burned RemixOS to a 16gb Class 10 card using the PhoenixCard tool as shown in the video.  I connect HDMI and Ethernet, insert the MicroSD card, making sure it clicks all the way in, and then plug in my power connection to the MicroUSB connector.  The power light goes on but nothing else happens, even if I leave the board alone for more than 30 minutes.

I'm having exact same problem.  I've use the memory card, HDMI cable, etc. all with a Raspberry Pi and it has worked.  Multiple monitors, HDMI cables, etc.

I'd love to have at least some kind of Power On Self Test screen of some kind happen, with error messages.

I've tried Ubuntu and the official memory card.  I'm using the power adapter that I ordered with my Pine64+.

I've gone through 6 common reasons why the Pine A64+ won't boot article.  Any ideas?  Where do we go from now?

Honestly I didn't plan on having this be a project, I thought this be as simple as putting the image on the SD card and plugging it in.  Maybe including ready to go SD cards would be a good idea if that is the problem?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  wrong launguage install chadace 1 3,977 06-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Last Post: chadace
  is my eMMC broken or am I wrong? jykeith123 8 10,720 01-25-2018, 10:27 PM
Last Post: jykeith123
  What am I doing wrong? Gauloises 3 5,725 06-17-2016, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Ghost