pine64 failed after 6 months
I have been running my Pine64 A+ 2GB since March, first on the longsleep kernels, and lately on ayufan's 0.7 series. Last week when I got back to my desk one morning, no HDMI, no response from the keyboard, no ssh, no ethernet flashing. 

Tried other power supplies, other sdcards, several kernel versions, still fails in the boot process. 

I did the serial console thing, and see it starts booting, but there is a kernel panic. I am attaching my complete log. 

.txt   pine64.txt (Size: 41.54 KB / Downloads: 495)

Did the board go belly up? 

Thanks,
Scott.
(10-10-2017, 11:54 AM)sjk Wrote: Did the board go belly up? 

Thanks,
Scott.

What do you think ?

... I would try the latest image ( not pre release ) from ayufan (gnu+linux).  Please use a Samsung Class 10 32G Evo Plus card.   Power the board via the euler bus  pin(6  -ground)  pin(4  +5v).   5v @2.5A   2500ma.

Save the boot log from the serial console. 

Sometimes boards go bad;  happens.  Mine have run constantly for one year now;  however, I have heatsinks on the chip-set and I have a 5v controlled brushless fan over the SoC.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-10-2017, 06:07 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:

Thanks,
Scott.

What do you think ?

... I would try the latest image ( not pre release ) from ayufan (gnu+linux).  Please use a Samsung Class 10 32G Evo Plus card.   Power the board via the euler bus  pin(6  -ground)  pin(4  +5v).   5v @2.5A   2500ma.

Sometimes boards go bad;  happens.  Mine have run constantly for one year now;  however, I have heatsinks on the chip-set and I have a 5v controlled brushless fan over the SoC.
I have attached the boot log, is it not showing?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
(10-10-2017, 06:12 PM)sjk Wrote:

Thanks,
Scott.

What do you think ?

I want to see the boot log from the setup I described;  Samsung evo plus 32G card, powered via euler bus, running LINUX ...  latest release (ayufan, not pre release)...
marcushh777    Cool

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-10-2017, 06:36 PM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:
(10-10-2017, 06:12 PM)sjk Wrote:

Thanks,
Scott.

What do you think ?

I want to see the boot log from the setup I described;  Samsung evo plus 32G card, powered via euler bus, running LINUX ...  latest release (ayufan, not pre release)...
I will try the latest release tommorow. I am using a 64gb Samsung (official) card.

As per the power supply, powering from the Euler bus is an option for a box on a bench. For me I need to move the unit around an run demos of streaming apps on it. I am using my rock64 for the moment.

I will order a new power adapter I can try on the Euler bus, but for me I would have to drill my machined aluminum case and add a barrel connector to make that work long term.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
(10-10-2017, 07:49 PM)sjk Wrote: I will try the latest release tommorow. I am using a 64gb Samsung (official) card.

As per the power supply, powering from the Euler bus is an option for a box on a bench. For me I need to move the unit around an run demos of streaming apps on it. I am using my rock64 for the moment.

I will order a new power adapter I can try on the Euler bus, but for me I would have to drill my machined aluminum case and add a barrel connector to make that work long term.

Good;  obviously, test before your drill...

... my cases are not milled aluminum;  I did mount barrel connectors in my cases with wires running to the euler bus DCIN pins.  This works very well;

... as we're talking;  thinking of things that can go wrong,  ESD shock, lightning, power surge, short from stray gpio pin, internal short due to milled aluminum case;  as to the last,  thinking towards you replacing the board with an LTS double insulate the board in the aluminum case -- make sure that there can be no internal shorts to that metal case !

best of luck to you
marcushh777    Cool

Thanks Mark, 

Yep, I was thinking of the LTS. The case is nice, and acts a good heatsink. I cart this around my company when I get asked by management: "Yeah, well what kind of hardware is required for an application like that?". 

Here is the pine64 when I fist put it together in March.     

MarkHaysHarris777
(10-10-2017, 07:49 PM)sjk Wrote: I will try the latest release tommorow. I am using a 64gb Samsung (official) card.

Good;  obviously, test before your drill...

... my cases are not milled aluminum;  I did mount barrel connectors in my cases with wires running to the euler bus DCIN pins.  This works very well;

... as we're talking;  thinking of things that can go wrong,  ESD shock, lightning, power surge, short from stray gpio pin, internal short due to milled aluminum case;  as to the last,  thinking towards you replacing the board with an LTS double insulate the board in the aluminum case -- make sure that there can be no internal shorts to that metal case !

best of luck to you
Gremlins?

On the positive front, I managed to get the board booting again. It took removal from my case, and triple checking everything. Re-imaged by sdcard, and booted a xenial-minimal (ayufan release) image on the second try with the board on my desk and the serial cable attached. I rebooted a few times, powered down and back up, and it seems to be back to normal?

I put it back in the case, and it still boots. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I had previously tried a release image, before posting to the forum, and did not get anywhere. Without your prompting, I would not have re-tried. Perhaps when I did it a few days ago, I was just not as casreful? Regardless I am back.

Cheers all.
(10-11-2017, 10:18 AM)sjk Wrote: Gremlins?

On the positive front, I managed to get the board booting again. It took removal from my case, and triple checking everything. Re-imaged by sdcard, and booted a xenial-minimal (ayufan release) image on the second try with the board on my desk and the serial cable attached. I rebooted a few times, powered down and back up, and it seems to be back to normal?

I put it back in the case, and it still boots. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the feedback Mark. I had previously tried a release image, before posting to the forum, and did not get anywhere. Without your prompting, I would not have re-tried. Perhaps when I did it a few days ago, I was just not as casreful? Regardless I am back.

Cheers all.

Congratulations !
Shy
marcushh777    Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question External storage problem for pine64 Dani6102 4 1,618 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM
Last Post: gulshan212
  Pine64 as wireless audio device S265 3 3,153 04-07-2022, 10:39 PM
Last Post: S265
  Pine64(+) and manjaro dsychan 0 1,108 04-05-2022, 11:32 PM
Last Post: dsychan
Thumbs Down Pine64 was a Useless Project pushpendrak 18 28,307 11-21-2020, 10:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine64 LCD rstcologne 0 3,090 09-22-2020, 12:43 PM
Last Post: rstcologne
  Pine64+ power button PaddyChan 0 2,739 09-14-2020, 09:55 AM
Last Post: PaddyChan
  Pine64 OS dpcons 2 4,895 03-02-2020, 04:32 PM
Last Post: dpcons
  Jailhouse supports Pine64+ vj-kumar 0 2,803 02-17-2020, 11:39 PM
Last Post: vj-kumar
  PINE64 board not powering up loki21century 2 5,513 11-25-2019, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Partymack711
  Pine64 not powering up. skylab 5 7,158 05-03-2019, 02:48 PM