The 6 most common reasons why Pine64 won't boot
(03-31-2016, 10:42 AM)pine.tree Wrote: Add the common peripherals in first boot issue- mouse, keyboard, wifi dongle, whatever; shouldn't be plugged in while the board first boots up on a new image.

Nope, it's Ethernet. At least with the RemixOS image. If Ethernet is connected on the first boot then this will never happen and you see the Pine64 logo forever. If Ethernet is disconnected and you see the floating Remix OS logo then the kernel is taking over and you can safely insert Ethernet again.

So there is another bug regarding Ethernet only affecting 1st boot behaviour at least with RemixOS. It should be easy to verify this with the Android image and get back to this thread.

But this collection of missing informations is rather useless since the Pine64 folks happily refrain from using all this user collected information to create a FAQ that might save new users some time.  Angry
Yep, i was mistaken when we first tested our boards. we had keyboard, mouse, ethernet, power, HDMI out plugged in, it wasn't booting. We unplugged the ethernet, keyboard, mouse so it was only power and video. It booted successfully, so i assumed it was with all peripherals. I tested earlier today with just unplugging USB things and it wouldn't boot.

I forgot to narrow it down to the port type. My apologies.
If I've helped you with something, please leave a rating for my responses.
(04-04-2016, 06:49 AM)pine.tree Wrote: I forgot to narrow it down to the port type. My apologies.

No problem. But to be sure: You confirmed the very same behaviour of RemixOS for the Android image? Plugged in Ethernet at 1st boot preventing to boot at all?
(04-04-2016, 07:14 AM)Andrew2 Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 06:49 AM)pine.tree Wrote: I forgot to narrow it down to the port type. My apologies.

No problem. But to be sure: You confirmed the very same behaviour of RemixOS for the Android image? Plugged in Ethernet at 1st boot preventing to boot at all?

It just kept power cycling, didn't keep on for more than 5 seconds. Happens on the first boot, and for every boot after. (You can boot up RemixOS without ethernet, use it for however you like, but as soon as you connect ethernet it turns off and power cycles. Confirmed on 2GB RAM model, testing 1GB later today.
(04-04-2016, 07:48 AM)pine.tree Wrote:
(04-04-2016, 07:14 AM)Andrew2 Wrote: You confirmed the very same behaviour of RemixOS for the Android image? Plugged in Ethernet at 1st boot preventing to boot at all?

It just kept power cycling, didn't keep on for more than 5 seconds. Happens on the first boot, and for every boot after. (You can boot up RemixOS without ethernet, use it for however you like, but as soon as you connect ethernet it turns off and power cycles. Confirmed on 2GB RAM model, testing 1GB later today.

That wasn't the question and is a well known and well understood problem of RemixOS combined with the 2GB model: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=509&page=2

It starts to get really useless to contribute here...
I misunderstood. A lot of things.

I haven't personally tested the Android OS, just RemixOS. My other team members have tested Android and said that Ethernet was an issue with them, which i can 90% say is correct. I'll test the Android image myself and report back.
I can confirm the need to boot with ethernet unplugged. Regarding the PSU, I successfully tried as a temporary fix a Galaxy S5 charger. Neither mouse or keyboard were an issue.
(04-03-2016, 11:41 PM)Andrew2 Wrote: Since this thread has been unpinned in the meantime obviously the forum admins and/or Pine64 people think all issues have been successfully resolved in the meantime.

It's still up top in the "important threads" link. And this is all still good, relevant advice. The power situation, for example: many people might make the (frankly, sensible) assumption that the well-built 5-USB charging hub that safely and completely fills the 2A power requirement of their tablet would be fine for the Pine64. Knowing that it may not work due to the Pine64's lack of compliance with USB charging specifications may save a ton of hassle and wasted troubleshooting up front.

Once the wiki gets fleshed out and these forums stabilize, then maybe this thread can get buried. But until then, thanks for the tips!
Pass this on to the Remix and Android teams. longsleep got it worked out.

https://github.com/longsleep/linux-pine6...6021a4484f

Big Grin
If you like my work be sure to check out my site or wish to donate to the cause

Cheers Big Grin
Just got my board and all I have is a red light when I plug it in. Nothing else. Had a bitch of a time trying to get Phoenix Card to NOT error out. I have a USB cord from my tablet. Do I need a better one? I have tried this every way I can think of and this is not booting.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Boot Ox64 after SPI Flash IC replacement kotnitro 1 1,056 05-26-2023, 02:19 AM
Last Post: kotnitro
  Star64 first boot (and success) bortzmeyer 1 1,489 05-24-2023, 02:45 AM
Last Post: draintroup
Exclamation Quartz64 model a wont boot AndyNZAUS 0 1,484 09-13-2022, 06:35 AM
Last Post: AndyNZAUS
  Maximum size of boot MicroSD for RockPro64 and Pinebook Pro commiecam 0 1,644 08-07-2022, 10:47 AM
Last Post: commiecam
  Wi-Fi/Bluetooth for PINE64, Model: Sopine A64 lamson 0 1,701 08-24-2021, 08:17 AM
Last Post: lamson
  AC Adapter Which One? Pine64 A64 DB V1.1 2GB REV B (Year 2016) databaseprogrammer 2 3,351 06-17-2021, 05:35 AM
Last Post: kqlnut
  How to boot from SD card on pinebook pro linux123 3 5,948 12-02-2020, 10:29 AM
Last Post: linux123
Lightbulb Live boot with persistence? r00tn3rd 1 3,173 10-23-2020, 01:30 AM
Last Post: HotChocolate
  Occasional boot toiny 0 2,100 10-18-2020, 01:41 PM
Last Post: toiny
  SD Card boot - trying out OS Baconomics 1 4,286 06-19-2020, 06:58 AM
Last Post: tophneal