Frustrating - Is there any 'good' OS?
(02-17-2018, 04:38 AM)Paul Wrote: I think it's important not to lose sight of the purpose of the Pinebook.  It's not a direct replacement for a 'workhorse' laptop for school or office, but something for hobyists to get their hands on to try things out.  That's why I didn't buy one for my 8 year old grand daughter just yet - although she has her eyes on this one and will probably want one within a couple of years!  

Trying things out includes having a go with a range of OS.  It's fairly easy to install a few different OS on a few SD cards keeping your current favourite on the eMMC.  But the Pinebook is designed to be lightweight, low power and inexpensive so will never perform like a laptop by HP, Dell, Apple etc.  You could try buying a used laptop, maybe replace the old HD if necessary and install Ubuntu or simillar.  That way you would get a reasonably performing laptop, adequate for everyday use, for not much money, and keep your Pinbook for experimenting.

Absolutely correct. People clearly missed my initial post outlining the nature of the PB.
Let me quote myself:
Quote:I don’t wish to discourage anyone from getting a Pinebook, as it is a good piece of hardware,  but if you are looking for a device to replace for your current work or school laptop then perhaps it’s wise to look elsewhere.

As a side note, those who understand the nature of the device as quite happy (especially now that we have [mostly] functional mainline).
[url=https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=4414][/url]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frustrating - Is there any 'good' OS? - by Luke - 02-17-2018, 07:37 AM