Frustrating - Is there any 'good' OS?
(09-15-2017, 10:41 AM)DigitalStefan Wrote:
(09-13-2017, 04:44 PM)Luke Wrote:
Quote: thought having an expectation of a well performing desktop environment would be easily met.

On a low-end ARM SOC ? Quite the opposite. I am somewhat confused about your comparison against the RPI however, as the desktop experience on both devices is practically on par.
edit: do give the i3 wm a go, by all accounts it performs better than mate

Thanks. I guess my frustration got the better of me. Not my best forum post  Confused

I have tried i3 on Pinebook and I will revisit it. It's an environment I was wanting to spend some time with before I'd heard of Pinebook / Pine64. First time I tried it on Pinebook was before there was a nice guide on controlling screen brightness. Now that appears solved, things should be better.

All these rough edges are grating on the nerves though. Having to manually config WiFi is strange. Any other device, when fresh, will assume a user probably does want to set up WiFi and will at least ask if they want to or not.

Genuinely wish I did know more of the in-depth stuff, because the setup and first-use experience is something I would change to be far better, if I had the knowledge and tools. I have so many other things I need to spend time on though, that even though this interests the hell out of me, I can't dedicate the time to learn it yet.
Have you tried Q4OS? It's much faster than the Ubuntu Mate, and I have been using it for a couple of weeks and it's been stable and performed OK. I like the Trinity desktop and if you come from using Windows, then it will all seem very familiar, in a nostalgic sort of way. The team behind it seem serious in their intent, and there appears to be a reasonable community, too.  Unfortunately it doesn't appear to have hardware accelerated graphics on the ARM distro yet.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Frustrating - Is there any 'good' OS? - by CD Xbow - 09-15-2017, 06:07 PM