Multiarch support Rock64
(09-14-2017, 07:46 PM)Farley56 Wrote: Duh - should have guessed. Linux laptop reads the SD card perfectly.
Saved an image of the card using DD
Writing that image to another card now.
I believe it solves the question of how to save an image so I can continue testing of the multiarch adds knowing I can get back to base. Yeah! Thanks for the advice.

Haven't tried DD'ing the card to an external USB HDD while still in the Rock64. Will try that tomorrow.
Haven't loaded any ext4 drivers, nice suggestion, didn't even cross my mind. Will try that soon. Makes sense, how could I expect windows to read a linux card. Oh wait, but linux can read an NTFS card...

Yeah pesky windows and lock out of other partition formats. M$ we all know. Smile

http://www.ext2fsd.com/ worked perfect for me this time, but just set it for read only. (dunno and can not remember why it wouldn't work last time, win10 was fresh then)

http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm winimage is great though as it just creates a virtualbox VHD and works great for the Pi but can not say yet for the rock.
You don't need the above if Windows is the nearest client I suggest a look see.

PS did you see the ArmHf aufan rock64 img? Might be a better option for you.
(09-14-2017, 09:08 PM)stuartiannaylor Wrote:
(09-14-2017, 07:46 PM)Farley56 Wrote: Duh - should have guessed. Linux laptop reads the SD card perfectly.
Saved an image of the card using DD
Writing that image to another card now.
I believe it solves the question of how to save an image so I can continue testing of the multiarch adds knowing I can get back to base. Yeah! Thanks for the advice.

Haven't tried DD'ing the card to an external USB HDD while still in the Rock64. Will try that tomorrow.
Haven't loaded any ext4 drivers, nice suggestion, didn't even cross my mind. Will try that soon. Makes sense, how could I expect windows to read a linux card. Oh wait, but linux can read an NTFS card...

Yeah pesky windows and lock out of other partition formats. M$ we all know. Smile

http://www.ext2fsd.com/ worked perfect for me this time, but just set it for read only. (dunno and can not remember why it wouldn't work last time, win10 was fresh then)

http://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm winimage is great though as it just creates a virtualbox VHD and works great for the Pi but can not say yet for the rock.
You don't need the above if Windows is the nearest client I suggest a look see.

PS did you see the ArmHf aufan rock64 img? Might be a better option for you.

Yup, have a working ArmHf build. JRiver MediaCenter23 armhf version works great. Wanted to use the newer Debian Stretch though (newer release, 64bit).
Update on what I've learned.
a. Used DD to save and restore an SD card image on a Linux Mint laptop. Now have a clone of the tweaked build so I can continue testing the multiarch add-ons. Yippee! The restored card boots up per normal in the Rock64. Took a lot more time than I'm used to with other "cloning" apps. Save of 32GB card took an hour or so. Restoring the 32GB card image took 2-3 hours (not exactly sure, could look at logs but bottom line, took a while). If there are other/more commands I could be using let me know. Thanks.

Save and Restore Linux Rock64 build SD card

NOTE: Need running Linux laptop or PC with a card reader.
          Need approximately the same about of space free on the HDD as the card size.

1.    lsblk -l or lsblk –fs                                                                 check attached devices.
2.    sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=~/stretch-sd.img                        create saved image
3.    Unmount source sd card, remove it.
4.    Insert target sd card.                                                            used same brand, same size card as original build.
5.    sudo dd if=~/stretch-sd.img of=/dev/mmcblk0                        write saved image to different card.
6.    lsblk -l or lsblk –fs                                                                 check attached devices.
7.    Unmount target sd card, remove it.

b. Attempting to save the image from a running Rock64 build to an attached USB HDD. Can't seem to wrap my head around creating an "image" subdir on the usb HDD. Have it partitioned, filesystem created, mounted, but can't seem to create a location on the HDD where the saved DD image will reside. It's something simple, staring me in the face but so far no luck. I used the noob tutorial for adding USB storage but must have messed up somewhere. I'll keep trying.
(09-16-2017, 02:30 PM)Farley56 Wrote: Update on what I've learned.
a. Used DD to save and restore an SD card image on a Linux Mint laptop. Now have a clone of the tweaked build so I can continue testing the multiarch add-ons. Yippee! The restored card boots up per normal in the Rock64. Took a lot more time than I'm used to with other "cloning" apps. Save of 32GB card took an hour or so. Restoring the 32GB card image took 2-3 hours (not exactly sure, could look at logs but bottom line, took a while). If there are other/more commands I could be using let me know. Thanks.

Save and Restore Linux Rock64 build SD card

NOTE: Need running Linux laptop or PC with a card reader.
          Need approximately the same about of space free on the HDD as the card size.

1.    lsblk -l or lsblk –fs                                                                 check attached devices.
2.    sudo dd if=/dev/mmcblk0 of=~/stretch-sd.img                        create saved image
3.    Unmount source sd card, remove it.
4.    Insert target sd card.                                                            used same brand, same size card as original build.
5.    sudo dd if=~/stretch-sd.img of=/dev/mmcblk0                        write saved image to different card.
6.    lsblk -l or lsblk –fs                                                                 check attached devices.
7.    Unmount target sd card, remove it.

b. Attempting to save the image from a running Rock64 build to an attached USB HDD. Can't seem to wrap my head around creating an "image" subdir on the usb HDD. Have it partitioned, filesystem created, mounted, but can't seem to create a location on the HDD where the saved DD image will reside. It's something simple, staring me in the face but so far no luck. I used the noob tutorial for adding USB storage but must have messed up somewhere. I'll keep trying.

So sudo mkdir isn't working?
Guess you could just create the directory on the host you where writing images from.

My main clients are windows so winimage http://www.winimage.com/ create windows alternative to dd for both creating and writing image files.

Also noticed with rufus that in the new version  2.17 now has a 2 modes for writing images iso & dd mode.
dd mode should work for the rock64 but prob will use winimage and vhds after that or stick with etcher for initial images.

Also I managed to get one of these and it does seem to be an omission in the Pine store.
http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products/...5415955758

I did get an eMMC module and I know you can write by adding jumpers & stuff but this is so much easier & handier.
I got my eMMC module from the store but had to get the reader from https://www.odroid.co.uk/ who usually only supply with the eMMC but where king enough to accommodate.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  irradium (based on crux linux) Rock64 riscv64, aarch64 mara 0 55 03-24-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: mara
  Rock64 v2 - did not work song / audio sqw200zu 2 1,238 03-14-2024, 03:09 AM
Last Post: dmitrymyadzelets
  Rock64 won't boot dstallmo 0 245 12-27-2023, 10:34 AM
Last Post: dstallmo
  HDMI doesn't work on rock64 Noung1991 1 513 11-21-2023, 08:33 AM
Last Post: as365n4
  Rock64 + Klipper + KlipperScreen Instructions godzilla62 0 515 10-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Last Post: godzilla62
  Rock64 Debian 11 (Bullseye) install problem jbize 15 7,974 10-12-2023, 05:14 PM
Last Post: tpaul
  slarm64 (unofficial slackware) Rock64 RK3328 (aarch64) mara 133 186,542 10-09-2023, 03:31 AM
Last Post: mara
  arch rock64 does not boot nemnob 0 513 07-09-2023, 03:28 AM
Last Post: nemnob
  RXDP from Win10 to Armbian on Rock64 Transportsicherung 0 567 05-27-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: Transportsicherung
  DietPi OS for ROCK64 MichaIng 41 31,769 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
Last Post: luminosity7